Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agency Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Are you serious? Now we're talking about trading off Strome because people think he'll bust? Has anyone heard of 'give the kid a break'? This offseason is getting WAAAAAY out of hand...:shakehead

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hemksy would have been nice... oh well...
Stay the course Chia!! Making the playoffs wont be easy..

Well, he doesn't have to do anything because he can hide under the guise that the contracts must come first and nothing can be done until they're done. He can take as much time as possible, do nothing, sit on this roster where we're hoping on career years from every player to make sure we're in a competitive spot come April and if it fails - well, his hands were tied.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Are you serious? Now we're talking about trading off Strome because people think he'll bust? Has anyone heard of 'give the kid a break'? This offseason is getting WAAAAAY out of hand...:shakehead

Exactly and to be fair he's already a bust.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
With potential bonuses and Draisaitls cap hit can't see us grabbing much of a piece however I'm intrigued by Pirri, he seems to be a goal scorer, RW/C, anyone know how his foot speed is? He seems like a low risk high reward player if he clicks with either McDavid or Draisaitl
Also would try Vanek and chaisson

For D I liked what I seen from Jokipakka, Calgary fan friends (term used loosely lol) really liked him as well and couldn't see why they moved him
Fransen makes the most sense
Nesterov also interesting but not a sure thing

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Strome is better than Zach Smith so it would be a downgrade. Mid round pick is a magic bean.

I'd like Desharnais re-signed actually... perfect 4th line filler with some talent.

Jokinen would be a good addition.

Strome is more talented than Zach Smith and has more upside, but Smith fills his role on the team better than Strome fills his role.

I don't want Desharnais back he gets pushed off the puck way too easy and while he is a bit feisty, he isn't as feisty or as fast as he was when he was younger and isn't pesky enough to make up for his short comings, I'd consider him a net negative in driving possession.

I'm for Jokinen and I'm guessing we can get him for $1.25M on a 1 year deal, I know Chia is holding back on NHL UFA signings for fear of an offer-sheet on Drai, but that cap-hit is low enough that I don't think it puts us in jeopardy.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd love to get Jussi Jokinen. I think he has tons of versatility and can basically play anywhere in the line-up and not look out of place, plus help us win points in the shootout. I think he would bring a lot of value to the team, and wouldn't (or shouldn't) break the bank. He would be the perfect signing, really. I'd be happy with just signing him, and maybe one more D signing for depth, then I'd be happy with the team going into the season -- assuming Drai gets signed, of course.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I don't like the supposed Oilers approach in giving the younger, inexperienced players more undeserved time.

It'd be 100 times better if Oilers signed a couple of UFAs for one year and see if the players like Benning, Nurse, Pulju can push them down the lineup

If they can, then great, well deserved

If not then we have a failsafe if their development is being held back

If Chia signs Jagr/Campbell/Franson (not all of them) for a year I'll instantly forgive him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't like the Oilers approach in giving the younger, inexperienced players more undeserved time.

It'd be 100 times better if Oilers signed a couple of UFAs for one year and see if the players like Benning, Nurse, Pulju can push them out of the line up

I agree with you regarding Pulju. And I think we should have tried to upgrade the defense. But more so an upgrade on Russell. I think Nurse and Benning have both shown enough in the NHL that they deserve bottom pairing roles.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don't like the supposed Oilers approach in giving the younger, inexperienced players more undeserved time.

It'd be 100 times better if Oilers signed a couple of UFAs for one year and see if the players like Benning, Nurse, Pulju can push them down the lineup

If Chia signs Jagr/Campbell/Franson (not all of them) for a year I'll instantly forgive him.

Look for trades on 1 year contracts imo. Chia said he has some worked out. I think it just comes down signing Leon first, and the amount he will get

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
A couple names that I find intriguing still available:

Jokinen
Vanek
Campbell
King
Wingels (T-Mac connection)
Nesterov

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'd love to get Jussi Jokinen. I think he has tons of versatility and can basically play anywhere in the line-up and not look out of place, plus help us win points in the shootout. I think he would bring a lot of value to the team, and wouldn't (or shouldn't) break the bank. He would be the perfect signing, really. I'd be happy with just signing him, and maybe one more D signing for depth, then I'd be happy with the team going into the season -- assuming Drai gets signed, of course.

Was also thinking this. He is 1 year away from 60 points. The guy can play a two way game, and do it all. Great buy low opportunity. Get him in for 2 mill a year.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Jagr will be wanting 6+ I imagine now.

I want 6+ too but I think neither one of us are going to get it.

I predict Oilers get Iginla for 1 year at a decent price, a few weeks before the start of camp. He still has a decent shot, is tough and it's time to bring him home.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I want 6+ too but I think neither one of us are going to get it.

I predict Oilers get Iginla for 1 year at a decent price, a few weeks before the start of camp. He still has a decent shot, is tough and it's time to bring him home.

I know that many feel that he's done, but I'd like to give him a chance to win a cup here. He could also teach Puljujarvi and Slepyshev a ton in terms of how to get open for shots.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

What I've learned from Chia when he signed Russell in early October last year is he's never content with the roster
I think they sign a veteran forward or defenseman for cheap later into the summer, maybe in the fal

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think we'll see a UFA signing or a trade once the McDavid/Draisaitl contracts are done.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
A couple of people mentioned Vanek and I just want to chime in on him, his numbers were great in Detroit and far less impressive for Florida, Detroit gave him butter soft minutes, like as sheltered as a player can possibly be, more sheltered than most rookies entering the league are. Florida used him more like an everyday top 6 player and the results were far worse.

I'm not going to hate on the idea of getting him, cause I think there is value in a guy who can be put against the dregs of the league and just pound the holy hell out of them, but I think we should be mindful he has a limited skill set and significant flaws, to get the most out of him he has to be deployed in a specific way. If anyone thought we could saddle him up with Nuge on a tough minute line and expect it to work out well, I just want to dispel that myth.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Komarov is a Chiarelli player... would be ideal as Pouliot replacement... expiring contract...mentor for Puljujarvi. ..
Get him and Jokinen both...Finvasion!

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Slepyshev scored 10 points last year. He's in no way a guy you lean on in either of those roles. If he earns his way on, fine. But he has shown nothing at this level to inspire confidence in the idea of him in a scoring role.

Listening to Chia's press conference on July 1 lead me to believe that management and coaching are going to give Slepy an opportunity to grab a much larger role this year. He kinda went out of his way to mention how much they liked his game in the playoffs, and how they felt he had shown a lot of growth through the season. I think he'll be in a top 9 role for sure, and if I were to guess I'd say he'll be playing with Looch and one of Drai/RNH/Strome.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

It'd be 100 times better if Oilers signed a couple of UFAs
for one year and see if the players like Benning, Nurse, Pulju can push them down the lineup

And if a team offer sheets Draisaitl and Chia did have the cap space to match I bet you would be one of the fans saying he should have waited fire him .

Fans are so fickle . Last year everyone ( maybe a few of us weren't ) Yell and whining about Chia made us worst . Relax Chia is a proven winner the team had been so mach better since he took over . Just because you don't see how the puzzle will fit together doesn't mean Chia hasn't made the right moves . Fans on here wanted Eberle left unprotected . Chia trades him for a younger guy with upside and the same fans calls for his head . LOL

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
From what chia said It sounded like we are going to make 2 trades aaaaand jones, bear, Mantha, Paigin, Puljujarvi, slepyshev won't be involved.

Any ideas?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well so far you've called me simple, dumb, etc. lol.

Yet I don't see much for an argument from you other than you are going to boo and complain more about the contract if he doesn't score for a couple weeks and that the Oilers should trade him because that is bad.

Perhaps they should try to get Eberle back so that people will buy more tickets? After all, according to you, it wasn't because he was pretty much useless, it's because the team needed 20 million this year to sign Drasiatl?

Your "narrative" is changing. Now it's not "perception" it is your "reality". Well, I'm certainly not going to change your reality so I guess we will leave it at that. :cheers:

Again, I don't want them to trade Draisaitl, but being prepared for all the BS that will come.

It's about more then fans, because the agents and players here about the narrative too. The other part of, being too expensive to be competitive, also means well they're too expensive to pay you, you want to play there?

It could (and probably will) snowball, trading Draisaitl allows you to get infront of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad