Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: FA Courting Period, I Wanna Court You Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Too bad about Pitlick but really:

Strome/Draisaitl
Slepyshev
Puljujärvi
Kassian
Pakarinen

Then maybe a vet add.

I guess if there are no further changes to the roster, we are looking at something like:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujaarvi
Pouliot-Strome-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen

But i think they will add another veteran who slot in the top 6, in case Puljujaarvi is not ready. Maybe j.Willians or Sharpe.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I guess if there are no further changes to the roster, we are looking at something like:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Puljujaarvi
Pouliot-Strome-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen

But i think they will add another veteran who slot in the top 6. Maybe j.Willians or Sharpe.

You're missing Caggiula.

I'd put Drake on the 3rd line and Pouliot on the 4th line.

I'd still rather have Draisaitl at C and Strome at RW too.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Further shots to our RW depth.

Too bad, really like him. Thought he finally pieced it together.

Hope he does well wherever, hopefully overcomes his injury troubles.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
3pm tomorrow is the deadline for RFA qualifying offers to:

Leon Draisaitl
Zack Kassian
Joey LaLeggia
David Musil
Zachary Pochiro
Henrik Samuelsson
Dillon Simpson

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I have no idea how plugged in Matheson still is but he tweeted this out:

He also mentioned LaLeggia and Simpson as likely to get qualifying offers tomorrow. Nothing on Musil, Pochiro, or Samuelsson.

Jun 9, 2011
I have no idea how plugged in Matheson still is but he tweeted this out:

He also mentioned LaLeggia and Simpson as likely to get qualifying offers tomorrow. Nothing on Musil, Pochiro, or Samuelsson.

I keep forgetting about Simpson. I wonder how he would do up here.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Pitlick (like I'm sure most here do)... but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer him a contract.

Just too many games missed every year and overall a contract spot for him is basically wasted every year.

Saying that... he was certainly trending up when healthy and I could see a team somewhere taking a shot at him for an energy depth winger.

He's certainly a player you should be able to easily slip down to the AHL without worrying about waivers because of his injury history... doubt any team would poach him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So is Skinner who we basically got for Yakupov ?

3rd from Yak trade + the conditional 5th we got for Phillip freaking Larsson from Vancouver were used to trade for the Skinner pick.

I don't know what condition Larsson met but he did it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
3rd from Yak trade + the conditional 5th we got for Phillip freaking Larsson from Vancouver were used to trade for the Skinner pick.

I don't know what condition Larsson met but he did it.
The Oilers got the 5th because Larsen failed to have a points-per-game rate of at least 0.3 and play a minimum of 42 games. Weird condition.

He has since gone back to the KHL.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think we're maybe looking at

Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic Draisaitl Caggiula
Pouliot RNH Iginla
Slepyshev Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Nurse Franson

On opening night.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think (and hope) the reason why Chiarelli isn't trying to make dramatic changes at this point in time is he has some comfort that we are going to make the playoffs even if we keep our roster like this come Game 1 of the season.

Calgary only clinched their spot in game 78 - their battle isn't necessarily putting together a contending lineup - but one that will get them INTO the playoffs in the first place. Hence the sweeping changes.

Maybe Chia is focusing on the core here - re-sign McDavid/Drai and then begin the regular season with maybe a UFA or 2 to fill out the roster. The cap space he saves can be used on deadline day rentals to help plump up the lineup heading into the playoffs. It's a common strategy employed by most contenders. The ask on such players now is astronomically higher now than it is late in the season when the bottom 1/3 of the league is trying to sell.

At least that's what I'm telling myself *gulp*

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic Draisaitl Caggiula
Pouliot RNH Iginla

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Nurse Franson

On opening night.

Would like to flip Strome and Caggiula but that looks about right. Hopefully JuJar works his way in as well at one point same as Pulj. Playoffs here we come!

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I think (and hope) the reason why Chiarelli isn't trying to make dramatic changes at this point in time is he has some comfort that we are going to make the playoffs even if we keep our roster like this come Game 1 of the season.

Calgary only clinched their spot in game 78 - their battle isn't necessarily putting together a contending lineup - but one that will get them INTO the playoffs in the first place. Hence the sweeping changes.

Maybe Chia is focusing on the core here - re-sign McDavid/Drai and then begin the regular season with maybe a UFA or 2 to fill out the roster. The cap space he saves can be used on deadline day rentals to help plump up the lineup heading into the playoffs. It's a common strategy employed by most contenders. The ask on such players now is astronomically higher now than it is late in the season when the bottom 1/3 of the league is trying to sell.

I do know he mentioned a couple times a while back he wanted to keep the moves to a minimum so the team could grow together a bit. That has more value then plugging random guys in year in and year out. No big names in but we look to be playoff bound

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think we're going to have to lean on growth from our young players.

Strome and RNH were disappointing last year, they need to be better this year.

Caggiula, Nurse, and Benning need to take another large step in development.

Klefbom I think has more to go especially offensively.

McDavid even ... there's more there. He can be a 110-120 point producer if he really works on his shot like he said at the NHL Awards (as the focus for his summer). He passes up a lot of points right now by not shooting and that's because he's not confident in his shot. And he still has lots of room to gain more strength too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Maroon McDavid Strome
Lucic Draisaitl Caggiula
Pouliot RNH Iginla

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Nurse Franson

On opening night.

I think we add another centre to the mix.

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
Lucic-RNH-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Bonino-Strome
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira, Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Stone
Nurse-Benning
Gryba

That's a very flexible lineup up front and a pretty solid D corps on the back end.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think he probably just wants to see what the young guys can do. I honestly think they need to get a 3c though. Another depth defenseman at minimum is needed as well i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad