Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Ahead By A Century"...And By "Century", I Mean Roughly $20 Million Dollars in Cap Space Going Into Free Agency!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I highly doubt Kane is signing here. He’s 30 and he is bankrupt. He is going to have to take the highest $ value regardless of location. Frankly if we outbid everyone for a 30 year old Kane, it would be a mistake. Hopefully the Tweet from Peel is accurate and Holland threw Kane a sensible contract offer in term and cap hit.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
IF they add Brown and Perron to Hyman and Yamamoto you’d have an extremely hard-working group of wingers surrounding the C’s . Might become the new identity.

Perron-McDavid-Brown
Hyman-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Foegele-RNH-Ryan
Holloway-McLeod-Lazar

Nurse-Ceci
Chychrun-Manson
Kulak-Bouchard

Campbell
Skinner

That looks like a contender to me.

Reactions: Pucklington

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I highly doubt Kane is signing here. He’s 30 and he is bankrupt. He is going to have to take the highest $ value regardless of location. Frankly if we outbid everyone for a 30 year old Kane, it would be a mistake. Hopefully the Tweet from Peel is accurate and Holland threw Kane a sensible contract offer in term and cap hit.

Exactly. Kane is going after the money, pure and simple. "Fit" or "chance to win" will not play into his calculus in any way whatsoever. The man is bankrupt, he can't afford to be choosing his team based on that. He turns 31 in August, this is his last big contract, and needs to be pay off his existing debts and set him up for a life after hockey.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
To me Strome is just such an obvious fit here as an offensively-minded winger that can produce with two of the best players in the world at a reasonable contract. Say what you want about his defensive game, but I think he gets you 20-30 goals and 60+ points, and he might come in under 4 million. Plus he can play center, and still has time to round out his game, plus the added motivation of playing with his junior teammate and best friend.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
To me Strome is just such an obvious fit here as an offensively-minded winger that can produce with two of the best players in the world at a reasonable contract. Say what you want about his defensive game, but I think he gets you 20-30 goals and 60+ points, and he might come in under 4 million. Plus he can play center, and still has time to round out his game, plus the added motivation of playing with his junior teammate and best friend.
We don't have time for him to round out his game we need defensively responsible now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Blackhawks fans say he's a terrible winger. He's only ever had success at center.

Reactions: McDoused

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The thing Strome does that our other wingers really struggle with is make a pass off the boards to get out of the zone. He plays a lot of C and him and McDavid were magic in Erie. Guy is slow but we've seen Maroon and others absolutely thrive with him.

Kane isn't fast either.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure why either team would make a Foegele for Brown trade though. They are essentially the same player are they not? We would save about $1 million in cap I suppose, and Brown is a little better of a player I guess (more scoring touch). But it seems very "meh" to me for both teams.
No, they're not the same player. Brown is a 2 way player who gives consistent effort, Foegele is a one dimensional goal scorer/forechecker who seems better when he's on his game but is more inconsistent.

Ottawa does this because Brown is a pending UFA and they'd like to get value back, Stauffer also mentions that they love their OHL guys so they get a younger, cost controlled player. The Oilers do this because they get the player that can help them win now.

Honestly, I'd like to keep Foegele because I think he has more in him but I could see this trade working for both sides.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Blackhawks fans say he's a terrible winger. He's only ever had success at center.
Well that is something I did not know. But McDavid and Draisaitl are both used to playing with centres, so maybe that's still a possibility.

We don't have time for him to round out his game we need defensively responsible now.
I would argue that the Oilers don't really need Strome to be defensively responsible to find success, as long as they bring in other players that can help in that regard. The Oilers are going to need to find some offense to replace Kane's production, and Strome could play a part in that.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Yeah well last year we spent a fortune and what did we wind up with aside from Hyman? I can’t remember.
Which is exactly what I'm saying. It's nice to have all this money to work with but if we don't spend it on guys that will improve this roster enough to make us a true cup contender then it's all for naught.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brett Connolly getting bought out. Maybe the Oilers sign him to a league minimum contract like Turris? Can be used as depth on the lineup?
Watch Yzerman. Connolly was his first pick in Tampa and the way they talked about him at the draft back then makes me wonder if Yzerman gives him another shot

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No, they're not the same player. Brown is a 2 way player who gives consistent effort, Foegele is a one dimensional goal scorer/forechecker who seems better when he's on his game but is more inconsistent.

Ottawa does this because Brown is a pending UFA and they'd like to get value back, Stauffer also mentions that they love their OHL guys so they get a younger, cost controlled player. The Oilers do this because they get the player that can help them win now.

Honestly, I'd like to keep Foegele because I think he has more in him but I could see this trade working for both sides.

I don't think Foegele has the hands to ever become much more than he already is. He really struggles to handle the puck at a level that would allow him to elevate.

I don't dislike the player, but I think you could get similar results from someone that is being paid less than $2.75M.

Reactions: 780il and MessierII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad