Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Ahead By A Century"...And By "Century", I Mean Roughly $20 Million Dollars in Cap Space Going Into Free Agency!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
"First Ken had a chat with Billy
Then it turned into trade talk
About our boy, Zackary
And our current draft spot
Ken had illusions by Sunday
His cap wouldn't be so tight
No cap credit reversal
This is Ken's strife

But then on Friday Keith informed we
He had a retirement dream
With the salary cap no longer in doubt
Ken didn't have to buy anyone out

Ken is now ahead by a century
Ken is now ahead by a century
Ken is now ahead by a century"

New found cap space going into free agency next week!!

Still need a starting goalie
And defense
And wingers
JP's future still in the air.

oilers-toilet.gif

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
So far Ken Holland has pulled off the impossible.

With so much more to do, don't let us down Ken.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Trading two years of Kassian for future, future mid round picks and no retention was pretty damn solid in my opinion.

I thought the value was pretty bad to be honest. Similar to the Ladd deal except Ladd was on a 5.5 mil contract. Trading was never Holland's strong suit though. His bread and butter will be the signings

Reactions: Macheteops

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I thought the value was pretty bad to be honest. Similar to the Ladd deal except Ladd was on a 5.5 mil contract. Trading was never Holland's strong suit though. His bread and butter will be the signings
I don't care about throwing picks out the window before it shuts, Oilers are entering the do-or-die years with what I think are the 2 best forwards in the world

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I think the future picks are as valuable as current ones. Just like a debt is a debt even if you don't have to pay for it for years. I do understand they try to win now, but I also think they have a better chance of keeping McDrai if they still have a future ahead when their contracts are expiring.

It's kind of part of the system that GMs try to succeed at all costs and thus do acts that harm their successor. When they get desperate they may burn even more future assets.

Getting rid of Kassian's contract may have been the right thing to do, but the cost still bothers me even when it's future picks. That future isn't that far really and those pieces could be used in trades.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Around the boards I see so many people praising Bill Armstrong for what he’s done in the past year.

I’m not as impressed. Yeah, I guess he’s done a “good” job at what he’s trying to do, but the degree of difficulty on that dive is 1.0.

Running the team into the ground collecting as many picks as possible along the way has to be the easiest job in the NHL.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I understand your side...it's never a good idea to just "throw picks away" but on the flip side, those picks likely wouldn't see NHL ice until 2028 or so, if ever. They would have been a nice trade currency as well for that period of time but I think Kenny a feeling the pressure to get this team into a SCF.

Dubas gave Chicago his 1st round pick outright to Chicago to take on bandaid Mrazek for two seasons at similar money to Kassian, Holland at least stayed in the first round...if you call pick #32 a first rounder :laugh:.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Dubas gave Chicago his 1st round pick outright to Chicago to take on bandaid Mrazek for two seasons at similar money to Kassian, Holland at least stayed in the first round...if you call pick #32 a first rounder :laugh:.

No, Dubas only dropped 13 spots.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Around the boards I see so many people praising Bill Armstrong for what he’s done in the past year.

I’m not as impressed. Yeah, I guess he’s done a “good” job at what he’s trying to do, but the degree of difficulty on that dive is 1.0.

Running the team into the ground collecting as many picks as possible along the way has to be the easiest job in the NHL.
They’ve been tanking for like 2 years. Montreal had 1 year of tanking and already got more picks than them. Even in the world of tanking he could have done better, where was the Kessel rental deal?

No, Dubas only dropped 13 spots.
True. But Chicago actually needed to fill the goalie spot even for a tank. It was a better match of needs for both teams. Zona doesn’t need a face punching 4th liner who’s one concussion away from no longer being able to punch faces anymore.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have lots of cap but a lot of big roles to fill. Really intrigued to see what’s up. Really hope that we end up with Kane or Giroux.
It seems like an impossibility but with how things are rolling for the Oilers lately, im expecting it to happen. Kane and G. We will find a way.

Reactions: longtimeoilfan

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
We have what like just over 22 mil in cap space ATM ? trade Barrie and Foegele and that's 30 mil in cap space.

Re-sign Kulak and go after one of Manson/Chiarot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have what like just over 22 mil in cap space ATM ? trade Barrie and Foegele and that's 30 mil in cap space.

Re-sign Kulak and go after one of Manson/Chiarot.
Manson would be sick. But if I was Manson I wouldn’t want to be coached by my Dad at the NHL level. I’d give Foegele another shot, we still need speed and size in the bottom 6 and he had an okay year with the potential to do a lot more.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Problem is just like last year the team needs a legit top 4 defenseman, and just like last year if he wants one he'll probably have to trade for it.

Reactions: russ99 and McDrai

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Manson would be sick. But if I was Manson I wouldn’t want to be coached by my Dad at the NHL level. I’d give Foegele another shot, we still need speed and size in the bottom 6 and he had an okay year with the potential to do a lot more.
Agree on Foegele. Dumping Kassian with no retention gave Holland enough space to keep him.

Reactions: stewy04

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I like what Kenny did with the FA money he had last year thought he did a great job. The tricky thing is with all this room i feel like he FA list for our needs isnt that good, next year has a "possible" better crop of D men

We need a goalie but outside that I'm not loving any of the FA D so I'm hope its a 1year signing type deal or fairly low cost and movable that is if we don't trade

Ex Next year - Dumba, Sanheim, Weeger. Zub, Gavroik, Soucy, Graves,

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I like what Kenny did with the FA money he had last year thought he did a great job. The tricky thing is with all this room i feel like he FA list for our needs isnt that good, next year has a "possible" better crop of D men

We need a goalie but outside that I'm not loving any of the FA D so I'm hope its a 1year signing type deal or fairly low cost and movable that is if we don't trade

Ex Next year - Dumba, Sanheim, Weeger. Zub, Gavroik, Soucy, Graves,

Thing with that is like you pointed out in quotes, there’s a good chance a lot of those guys don’t make it to free agency

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Thing with that is like you pointed out in quotes, there’s a good chance a lot of those guys don’t make it to free agency
Agree, its a lot of what ifs, but all these guys should be cheaper acquisitions if we can try a trade and sign if we really like one, all of which, outside of Graves i think could be great additions

this year outside Miller, Mason, and Maybe Chairot as I'm not sold on him, could help fill a top 4 and i like Kulak and Lyubushkin, as depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad