Rumor: Crosby to be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Any truth to this?

I heard Rimouski wants to get something for him while they still can since they'll lose him at the end of this year anyways. Recently his parents bought a home in Moncton - one of the cities rumoured to be interested in him. Anyone else hear this?

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
I highly doubt it. Would you trade Gretzky (In his prime) if you had a chance at a Cup, and you knew he would be leaving at the end of the year? Didn't think so.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Broadway, Major Junior is a completely different beast from the NHL.
Rimouski doesn't have the depth to challenge for much in the postseason, despite Crosby's presence. With the chance that Crosby could leave at the end of the year- end of next year for sure- it might be wise to move the Q's star attraction in order to shore up the team's assets. Pouliot can take over Crosby's spot without much difficulty, and the players/picks Rimouski acquires could be what makes them a contender in either this year's playoffs or next.

This type of thing isn't unheard of when it comes to star players- Gretzky fell to third in the OHA's draft for the reason that the GMs that picked ahead of Peterborough knew that the whiz kid would only be in the league 1-2 seasons, and the two players available could last in the O for up to 4.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Mr Bugg said:
Broadway, Major Junior is a completely different beast from the NHL.
Rimouski doesn't have the depth to challenge for much in the postseason, despite Crosby's presence. With the chance that Crosby could leave at the end of the year- end of next year for sure- it might be wise to move the Q's star attraction in order to shore up the team's assets. Pouliot can take over Crosby's spot without much difficulty, and the players/picks Rimouski acquires could be what makes them a contender in either this year's playoffs or next.

This type of thing isn't unheard of when it comes to star players- Gretzky fell to third in the OHA's draft for the reason that the GMs that picked ahead of Peterborough knew that the whiz kid would only be in the league 1-2 seasons, and the two players available could last in the O for up to 4.
I think that Rimouski is only a trade away from being a contender. And there is a chance that he will be there next year, because if the lockout lasts a year and a half, there won't be a draft until 2006.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Broadway Crosby said:
I think that Rimouski is only a trade away from being a contender. And there is a chance that he will be there next year, because if the lockout lasts a year and a half, there won't be a draft until 2006.

Wouldn't that be sweet if we got Crosby back for the World Juniors next year :eek:

CH Wizard

markov` said:
there won't be any NHL season next year.

How do ya know ? :eek:

I highly doubt that.Rimouski won't trade Crosby , they'll trade him if only they gonna receive a top notch winger , defenceman , goalie in return.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Broadway Crosby said:

If that trade consists of 3 checking forwards, 2 stay at home dmen and a goalie, then yes they are 1 trade away :)

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
not far from reality Lalaprise but they are a better team on paper than what they do on the ice.

But they won't play at the top of their potential without a real system and I don't think it will happens.

They are too many factors in Rimouski that arent going well and I dont think they are gonna put it together this year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Louiss said:
not far from reality Lalaprise but they are a better team on paper than what they do on the ice.

But they won't play at the top of their potential without a real system and I don't think it will happens.

They are too many factors in Rimouski that arent going well and I dont think they are gonna put it together this year.

You are right, Labonte needs to put in a system. It may be too late now though.

But i still think even with a system the 3rd and 4th lines are HORRIBLE!!

Aspirot is on the 3rd line!! LOL Moncton, Halifax and Quebec have better players on their 5th forward lines.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Rimouski tanked a whole season so they can have a chance at Crosby, he is bringing in good money for them and everywhere where Crosby goes, the names Rimouski Oceanics follows. I would think that they want to retire his number, and make as much money as they can off of him, I don't see how trading him accomplishes that, rebuilding stages are short in the CHL, 1-2 years, while the benefits that a player like Crosby brings come once a decade.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
markov` said:
Please Chicoutimi - trade for him! He will still be in the Q next year, there won't be any NHL season next year.

We have plenty of offense, what we need is a good 19-year-old defenseman. Crosby wouldn't fix our problems at the blue line.

Nimrods Son

I think they should trade him too - I seriously doubt that no matter what happens with the NHL, he won't be playing the Q next season. There is nothing stopping him signing for millions in Europe, and frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he did. The players know they are all one hit away from career ending injury, no harm in cashing in while you can. Besides that, he has clearly outgrown the challenge of the QMJHL. I believe that if the Oceanic can get a good long term investment - not a couple of 18 or 19 year olds - then they should make the trade. I can see a top team, looking to contend in the postseason, swapping three or four first rounders for him - and if they space it out, it will set Rimouski up for the next decade. Whats to stop a team giving them 1rst rounders in 2008, 10, 12 and 14? I would make that deal.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Nimrods Son said:
I think they should trade him too - I seriously doubt that no matter what happens with the NHL, he won't be playing the Q next season. There is nothing stopping him signing for millions in Europe, and frankly, I wouldn't blame him if he did. The players know they are all one hit away from career ending injury, no harm in cashing in while you can. Besides that, he has clearly outgrown the challenge of the QMJHL. I believe that if the Oceanic can get a good long term investment - not a couple of 18 or 19 year olds - then they should make the trade. I can see a top team, looking to contend in the postseason, swapping three or four first rounders for him - and if they space it out, it will set Rimouski up for the next decade. Whats to stop a team giving them 1rst rounders in 2008, 10, 12 and 14? I would make that deal.

I too believe that Rimouski would be wise trade him

Realisticly, he only has what 35 more games in his Rimouski career?

how much money are they really gonna make off this kid?

This is the rumored trade

Crosby to Moncton for Marchard, Blanchard and karsums

Rimouski would be getting good players in return, quite possibly improving their team this year as well with Blanchard in nets but Moncton takes a huge step back for the 06 memorial cup which they will likely host.

Beign a sharks fan I would love to see this trade

A tandom with Bernier and Crosby would be as lethal as i can remember in the Q

Grahm and Penault make up an awsome second line

With Crosby and Bernier probably the top 2 players in the Q
Moncton can pose a very big threat to London as they can match player to player through the top 2 lines.

Crosby-Perry
Bernier-Shremp
Grahm-Bolland
Penault-Hunter

Last edited:

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
Aspirot isnt on the 3rd line he is battling for 11th,12th,13th forward with Bachand and Laffiere when everyone is healthy

But I agree with you these 3 should be #13,14,15 when everyone is healthy is a serious contender team, menaing they are good as healthy scratch.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Louiss said:
Aspirot isnt on the 3rd line he is battling for 11th,12th,13th forward with Bachand and Laffiere when everyone is healthy

But I agree with you these 3 should be #13,14,15 when everyone is healthy is a serious contender team, menaing they are good as healthy scratch.
Last time RIM was in town they had Aspirot on the 3rd line with Charette and someone else.

But yeah the consensus is RIM doesnt have depth beyond their top 3-4 players. That is easy to shut down in the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crosby talks about replacement option
12/26/2004

Canadian junior phenom Sidney Crosby would consider playing in the NHL next season, even if the league and players association can't reach an agreement and replacement players are used.

Crosby was asked about the possibility by TSN on Sunday.

"I don't know, it's tough," Crosby told TSN. "I haven't really given it a lot of thought but my dream is to play in the NHL. I think if I do have the opportunity, I would probably go."

The 17-year old recorded three points in Team Canada's opening game of the World Junior Hockey Championship and is regarded as the top prospect in hockey and the consensus first overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, should it occur.

"Yeah, I mean you grow up dreaming to play. Obviously I can understand the other side of it too," Crosby said when asked if it would be hard to turn down a chance to play in the NHL. "I understand it's a business and I know that there are things going on, that maybe myself and other people don't know, that do influence a lot of guys' opinions. It's hard for me to say right now. I just want to get there. It's my dream."

Crosby leads the CHL in scoring with 26 goals and 74 points in only 35 games and spent the summer skating with pros, including Mario Lemieux, developing his leg strength so he would be better able to take and escape hits in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

The entire Crosby interview with Gino Reda can be seen during the Canada vs. Sweden pre-game show on Monday at 4pm et/1pm pt.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
If that trade consists of 3 checking forwards, 2 stay at home dmen and a goalie, then yes they are 1 trade away :)
You think? Maybe if Crosby gets to stay next season, and they get a good D-Man in the Q-draft, they'll be good.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
from a hockey standpoint, if you aren't going to win this year it might make sense to deal him since next year he'll probably lose him and have nothing to show for it and you could probably basically rebuild your team via that trade...

however rimouski makes so much $$ off of sidney that i doubt they would even consider it...regardless of how good they are, crosby means a sellout in every game. and i think they would rather take that and worry about next year later.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Why it would make sense:

- Rimouski has some guys who can score goals, but only one player who can play on defense (Sersen). They cannot win with only one defenseman - especially since he's not defensive - and average goaltending with Filiatrault.

- Crosby will likely play in Europe next season, or the NHL if there is one. Bruce Graham is slated for another year in the Q, and if there is no NHL there's a possibility - albeit a small one - Bernier could be around too.

- Crosby alone can't win a championship. With two first rounders they'll be a powerful force again in 3 years

Why doesn't it make sense?

- Crosby is great PR! Why would they want him remembered as a Moncton Wildcat?

- Bernier and Graham alone aren't going to make RIM successful in the playoffs UNLESS they get Jonathan Boutin from PEI (expected), he plays well, and they get some defensemen.

Personally, I would rather have two guys like Bernier and Graham for this year - and maybe next - get two defensemen in other trades, and Boutin from PEI for cheap. And even if you've traded your second or third rounders the next few years to get that - you still have four first rounders in 2 years AT LEAST.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
at the poitn where they are I think Rimouski should keep Crosby and trade younger players like Charette (lot of value in the Q) F.Bolduc (lot of overated value in the Q) and some draft picks too to improove their team and go for it this year.
They have told their fans for the last 3 years that they would be the team to beat this year so backing-up and changed their mind isnt gonna make it they have to try to get better. Anyway can't wait to see what they are gonna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad