Rule Refreshers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Gentlemen,
Two items have come up in the past couple of days where it has been pointed out that we need a refresher on a couple of undocumented procedural rules and for our new GM’s this is probably new information.

Sean when time allows maybe you can update the rulebook. Thank you.

A. Waiver claims
As you are likely aware the waiver priority list showing on the site is incorrect and as such the process is managed manually.
When a player is placed on waivers teams may submit claims up until the time the waiver period expires (3 days I believe).
The process begins the year with the lowest ranked claiming team (determined by their position in the standings at the time the waiver period expires) getting the first waiver claim. The successful claiming team then drops to 30th on the priority list and moves back up as other teams make claims during the year.
That is not to say that the 30th ranked priority team cannot submit additional claims it simply means that in the case of multiple claimants for the same player that the higher priority team will get the player.
Also note that a $50,000 fee is paid by the claiming team to the team losing the player. (Don't ask me why b/c the $50k compensation fee has been around since before I joined ;) )

B. Previously drafted European players
The rule, for now, continues to be that all European born players drafted in the NHL after 1999 (the year the league began) must be drafted in the HFNHL. As reviewing old draft lists to see if a player has been drafted and subsequently released in the HFNHL is time consuming the onus is on the GM of the team trying to sign the player to prove that the player had been previously drafted in the HFNHL.
Traditionally this was done by using the WayBackMachine but it seems our site has been blocked via robots.txt by our site owner and so that is no longer an option. All draft lists are currently in the Yahoo file sections with the exception of 1999 and 2000. I am optimistic that these files are still on the server and will add them to the files section if I can find them.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I'll make the necessary changes when I have a few extra minutes. As for the draft history, it's on our site, just not linked yet. I'm working on overhauling the league history section...

Everyone can view the league's draft history here:
http://hfnhl.com/history/draft/

That should be linked in the near future.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Gentlemen,
Two items have come up in the past couple of days where it has been pointed out that we need a refresher on a couple of undocumented procedural rules and for our new GM’s this is probably new information.

Sean when time allows maybe you can update the rulebook. Thank you.

A. Waiver claims
As you are likely aware the waiver priority list showing on the site is incorrect and as such the process is managed manually.
When a player is placed on waivers teams may submit claims up until the time the waiver period expires (3 days I believe).
The process begins the year with the lowest ranked claiming team (determined by their position in the standings at the time the waiver period expires) getting the first waiver claim. The successful claiming team then drops to 30th on the priority list and moves back up as other teams make claims during the year.
That is not to say that the 30th ranked priority team cannot submit additional claims it simply means that in the case of multiple claimants for the same player that the higher priority team will get the player.
Also note that a $50,000 fee is paid by the claiming team to the team losing the player. (Don't ask me why b/c the $50k compensation fee has been around since before I joined ;) )

I was under the impression that it was based on standings throughout the season?? So that mean now that I have picked up LeClair off waivers, I'm down to 30th in the pecking order??

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Donga said:
I was under the impression that it was based on standings throughout the season?? So that mean now that I have picked up LeClair off waivers, I'm down to 30th in the pecking order??

I believe Dion is right that the team in lowest standing gets to pick 1st regardless of how many claims they have made. The only other point that I would to add that the player cannot be traded for that year.

Drew, can you clarify with the admin team on this.

Thanks

HFNHL Red Wings

I confess there may be some confusion on this one.

This was brought up in the Admin Team a couple of years back (last HFNHL season) b/c essentially the same teams took all the waiver picks (I believe it was you primarily you Dion :sarcasm: ) and other teams were complaining.

The point of confusion is whether we ever communicated this change properly. I have spoken with Nick and Douglas and while they are both in agreement neither recalls us having announced it to the league. That was my mistake.

It's not like this is some HFNHL specific rule this is the standard approach used for many leagues. The SIM actully works this way as well but the problem is that the base priority rankings are screwed up and so we have manually managed it. The error had been in us being too simplistic in our original process which needed addressing.

Truth is that in most cases the claiming team is the ONLY claimant and therefore being priority 1 or 30 is moot.

I will reraise the subject in the Admin Team and let you know if this will be changed.

HFNHL Red Wings

SPG said:
I'll make the necessary changes when I have a few extra minutes. As for the draft history, it's on our site, just not linked yet. I'm working on overhauling the league history section...

Everyone can view the league's draft history here:
http://hfnhl.com/history/draft/

That should be linked in the near future.

Excellent. Thanks Sean.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I believe there is one other rule that teams need to be aware of with waivers....
You may not trade a player that you claim on waivers for the remainder of that season. I know this came up when I tried to trade Recchi (great deal, Kronwall and a 1st) and the trade was turned back.

HFNHL Red Wings

kasper11 said:
I believe there is one other rule that teams need to be aware of with waivers....
You may not trade a player that you claim on waivers for the remainder of that season. I know this came up when I tried to trade Recchi (great deal, Kronwall and a 1st) and the trade was turned back.

You are correct. Geez with two years off, and now two years older, my memory on of these rules is getting worse :propeller

Thank heaven Sean picked up the ball to start getting all these things documented.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
b/c essentially the same teams took all the waiver picks (I believe it was you primarily you Dion :sarcasm: ) and other teams were complaining.

here I was thinking that I was the only guy that gave a damn about the waivers... I guess not.. :D :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad