Line Combos: Rounding out the Roster Next Season (2018-2019)

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Why does anyone think that Ennis is somehow making this team after the last 3 years he's played? Or even Gauthier, considering the team has Jooris and Lindholm, not to mention Lievo, all of which are better players than what is left of Ennis? Why do people think another broken down Komarov-class unreclaimable project is going to be in the leafs top 12?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
*Leivo - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown
Ennis, Moore

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

* = Why Josh Leivo could, and should, be a Top 9 forward for the...

Fight Me!

The trouble I see with Leivo on a line with Kapanen, as he's a non-complimentary part speedwise. In order for Kappy to do well, he needs players who can keep up with him. Brown is better suited on a line with Leivo and Kadri (remember how they jelled a couple years back) Kapanen is probably better off playing with Johnsson or Nylander, IE players who aren't going to be a zone behind him all the time. You put him on a line that doesn't have at least one other speedy player, you're asking for what the team got with Grabner. Learn from what the Rangers did with Grabner, please.

Reactions: Eric bungay

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Brown: Bounce back offensive season and hits 20 goals again playing with Kadri and the occasional PP.

Johnsson will move up the lineup and maybe replace Marleau who I select as the disappointment for next season. Not his fault. He’s going to be nearing 40 years old. So I guess disappointment is the wrong word.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
If all three (Ennis, Lindholm and Grundstrom) make it it would mean one of Brown, Johnsson or Kapanen doesn't. Unless one of those other three is traded/injured I can't see it happening.

Same, basically why I brought it up. It caught my attention while reading the paper

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
1. With only a 2 or 3 spots left (assuming our graduating Marlies are going to be full-time next season), who do you see rounding out the Roster?
Leivo, Lindholm, Holl

2. Who will be the biggest surprise?
Holl

3. Who will the biggest let down?
Borgman

4. Do you see TOR trading/PTO for one of the spots?
No

These are the sure forward spots for now:

Marleau Tavares Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Brown
Leivo Lindholm Kapanen
________

I left out the last 3 forwards because we don't know who will win the spots. Some of the potential players could be Grunstrom, Jooris, Ennis, Leivo, Brooks, Gauthier, and Lindholm.

The defense has 1 spot:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick
Holl

The most likely people that could take those spots are Ozhiganov, Carrick, Holl, Rosen, Borgman, and Marincin.

Goalies seem to be the most crowded and very little room to move in. After Andersen it will be hard to knock off McElhinney.

Andersen
McElhinney

Possible players to replace McGoalie: Sparks and Pickard

What do you think?
Sparks

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

member 147413

I have something a little different.

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Lindholm - Kapanen
Ennis

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick
Marincin- Oz

Andersen
Sparks

Reactions: crump

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Ennis

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick
Marincin- Oz

Andersen
Sparks
Agree with all of that at the start. I see Johnsson flipping with Marleau at some point if Marleau proves he's human starts showing his age.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnson-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Oz

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Also rooting pretty hard for Leivo to win a spot, but I'm not that confident that he will. I could see Jooris winning over Babs, but I do think Dubas originally signed him for the Marlies.

I really wouldn't be shocked if Trevor Moore makes the team as the 4th line LW. He was extremely impressive during the Marlies run, and I think him and Brown/Kappy flanking whoever is the 4c would make a pretty good 4th line. They're all great puck hounds.
I watched all Marlie regular and playoff games that were available on tv and I too was extremely impressed by Trevor Moore every game. He adds a dimension of skill combined with speed that would mesh with Kapanen really well. Ultimately I’d like Kappy on the third line with Kadri and Johnsson, but I’d settle seeing him with Moore and Lindholm on the 4th line.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Ennis

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick
Marincin- Oz

Andersen
Sparks

I really want to see Johnsson given a shot with Matthews-Marner or Matthews-Nylander. I think he's the perfect player to facilitate, keep up with their passing and finish scoring opportunities. He's at a point in his career (turning 24) where he has to make it work. 24 points in 16 games (winning the calder) should be a testament to his abilities. He should be rewarded for what was an outstanding year.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Maple Leafs have to take two things into account this year. That is... using the cap space (this year, 14 million or so) to win the cup AND to plan for having as many cheap players as possible on the roster next year when raises for M'N'M set in. Accrue is the new term for me and you. Jesus, Molly and Mary! Don't be weary. A percent or two make the foot fit the shoe! Or if Marleau quits. Maybe not. Or if Marner bangs some high end ishockeyplayer's head into the wall at practice...which is not very likey. Or if Gardiner flees Toronto after ten years and take Leivo, Johnsson, Kapanen, Carrick and Brown with him. Shrugs at mentioning Hyman. Should Leafs trade every RFA who prove to be worth more than 1 million usd now? 2019-20 is the wave that either breaks it or make you make it. Will there appear golf elbows next summer? Greengrassidis?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen
Gauthier + Ennis

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

As it stands right now.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen
Ennis

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak
Carrick

Freddie
Sparks

Yes, I know that Polak has signed with the Stars. This is my projected lineup starting about 10 games in when Dubas realizes his choices are either trade for Polak or watch Hainsey literally die on the ice penalty killing 100% of every penalty.

Who will be the biggest surprise? Leivo

Who will be the biggest letdown? Marner. He won't be a let down for me, but there are posters on here who think that 90+ points is basically a guarantee for him next year.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
From an asset management point of view it makes sense to protect Holl and/or Marincin on defense. But, if Rosen, Borgman or Ozhiganov supplant Carrick in the top-6 they become more likely to hit the waiver wire.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Why does anyone think that Ennis is somehow making this team after the last 3 years he's played? Or even Gauthier, considering the team has Jooris and Lindholm, not to mention Lievo, all of which are better players than what is left of Ennis? Why do people think another broken down Komarov-class unreclaimable project is going to be in the leafs top 12?
The top-12 is set for the most part and they need someone to sit up in the press box.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
4th line LW-Ennis
4th line Centre-Lindholm
13th forward-Leivo
6th D-men-Carrick
7th D-men-Holl

I don’t see Leivo sticking as 13F. Out of courtesy they’ll put him on waivers to see if another team wants him.

I see leafs electing for a 650K guy as 13F.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Recently watched a leaf/Islander game so got a good look at Tavares on the pp..
He plays on the right side like Marner .......although he goes up and down on that wing he controls the play from there and passes and/or shoots from there also.
So it seems to me that they are very similar.....but since they will be playing on the same line I suppose that means that they will have to be on the same pp unit.

Also..beating a dead horse here, but watching Hyman during the replays of leaf games.......the guy reacts too slowly when he gets the puck....constantly getting stripped in either zone...his passes are off the mark...he can't take a pass either...........in short..awful offensively....but babcock will have him playing top six no matter what..

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if it were up to me
Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Nylander
Leivo-Kadri-Kapanen
Hyman-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Ozhiganov
Rosen/Borgman/Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

i'd also do some games with Lindholm a healthy scratch and roll 7 defenseman to give Hainsey a rest

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Really would like to see Leivo get an honest to goodness chance. Very curious to see Grundstroms efforts at camp.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
if it were up to me
Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Nylander
Leivo-Kadri-Kapanen
Hyman-Lindholm-Brown

t

If Tavares was told that he would play with Marner then I would have...as my top 2 lines..

Johnnson Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Nylander.

And what if Grundstrom make the team?

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If Tavares was told that he would play with Marner then I would have...as my top 2 lines..

Johnnson Tavares Marner

i actually think Nylander would be a better fit for Tavares, although it's not a huge deal.
if Grundstrom has an outstanding showing at camp and cracks the roster, I would probably trade Brown in that case and shift Leivo to the other wing. I think Grundstrom will be given a chance to dominate the AHL for ~half the season and get called up later on though

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Johnnson Tavares Marner

That would probably be the end of the line for Leivo. Another years development would probably be good for Grundstrom. At least a half season, like Dermott and Kapanen got.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Welll, an entertaining storyline is going to be if Leivo is given offensive usage (likely after a trade to another team) and puts up points how folks will respond

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Welll, an entertaining storyline is going to be if Leivo is given offensive usage (likely after a trade to another team) and puts up points how folks will respond
personally i'd be thrilled. I get to be right, Leivo gets to have a fulfilling season, and the Leafs look like a deep organization that even a good player like Leivo couldn't crack. Everybody wins. I'd still prefer he breaks out with us though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad