Series Talk: Round Two | Waiting on a (familiar) foe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Both series end tonight, history shows that the West would start first and more than likely be on Thursday.

We have an issue for our opponent though. Any other year we’d be scheduled to start Friday but with the Capitals and Wizards sharing an arena, that couldn’t happen. Wizards are scheduled for a home game Friday night and with no way of the series being over before then.

So if the Capitals were to win tonight, we would most likely be looking at a Saturday afternoon game once again.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If Malkin and Hagelin are going to play...would they have all 3 "injured" players on the same line or split them up until healthy? Hagelin - Malkin- Kessel was line 2. Hags and Geno are hurt..Phil has been playing hurt.

Kessel also seems to have chemistry with Sheahan.

While Brassard with Sheary and Rust has looked fine( just not getting results yet) I wouldnt mind seeing Brass with Malkin/Hags and Sheahan with Rust/Phil. Hornqvist would help either line but cant mess with that first line right now.

Also if ZAR starts off next series , not playing well..he should sit a game or two. Let him watch..then put him back in.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist/Brassard
Hagelin - Malkin - Brassard/Hornqvist
Rust - Sheahan - Kessel
Sheary - Jooris - Kuhn

With ZAR rotating in.

Is something Id go with depending on Hags/Geno injuries. And if we are struggling in those first two games..besides line one.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I didn't care, but now I'm really hoping for the BJs pulling it out.

Reason being, even without Geno, I think our center depth is superior to Columbus and they only have Playoff Bob as a viable option. Were as with the Capitals, even if we get to Holtby, they have a capable back up to come in. And we struggle with backup goalies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Still hoping the Jack Its somehow win. Think the Caps are due against our boys. And overall, I just think Washington is better. Still think the Pens can exploit Washington's thinner forward corps and bottom 4 D-Men, though.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Ehh ..I changed my mind. After beating the Caps last year I thought that would be the end of it..their fans finally learned. "Blow it up, we will never beat the pens"

After reading their board now since they won 3 in a row..."Pens D is weak and Murray looks like trash, we will take advantage" .

Time for another lesson.

I still despise their fans. I lost it last week on a poster here that said he felt bad for the Caps. He should be banned!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Remember.. To discuss the CBJ/Washington game, please utilize the Around the NHL thread. I don't want this to turn into a GDT when we have a thread already dedicated for it. :)

Just an early thought/reminder prior to the game starting.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Still hoping the Jack Its somehow win. Think the Caps are due against our boys. And overall, I just think Washington is better. Still think the Pens can exploit Washington's thinner forward corps and bottom 4 D-Men, though.

Agree on last part. Could see Brassard having a big series. Them focusing on our top two lines...and our 3rd line goes off.

Reactions: ncm7772

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I’m scared of the Caps this year, bring on Columbus for another beatdown.

Caps have little depth. Their Dcore is worse than ours and Holtby ain't right. I'm not scared of them at all. I just fear them a tinyyy more bit than CBJ because of their PP.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Although I like our chances more against the Blue Jackets, I’m rooting for the Caps, would love to beat them again

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
The Blue Jackets "faithful" are so lacking in that category that last minute tickets to the game tonight are going for as little as $20. That adds another reason why I'm so eager to see them win.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Anyone remember the Bortuzzo hit on Jagr as he was coming behind the net, just after releasing a pass? 2014 I think.

Bortz got 2 games because the DOPs deemed that because something like .5 or .6 of a second had passed after Jagr released the puck, the hit was "predatory"...oh, and "violent". So 2 games.

Wonder what Hags thinks about that.

Reactions: TNT87

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If Malkin and Hagelin are going to play...would they have all 3 "injured" players on the same line or split them up until healthy? Hagelin - Malkin- Kessel was line 2. Hags and Geno are hurt..Phil has been playing hurt.

Kessel also seems to have chemistry with Sheahan.

While Brassard with Sheary and Rust has looked fine( just not getting results yet) I wouldnt mind seeing Brass with Malkin/Hags and Sheahan with Rust/Phil. Hornqvist would help either line but cant mess with that first line right now.

Also if ZAR starts off next series , not playing well..he should sit a game or two. Let him watch..then put him back in.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist/Brassard
Hagelin - Malkin - Brassard/Hornqvist
Rust - Sheahan - Kessel
Sheary - Jooris - Kuhn

With ZAR rotating in.

Is something Id go with depending on Hags/Geno injuries. And if we are struggling in those first two games..besides line one.

In the limited time we have had Sheahan and from what archive footage we saw from his detroit time, its clear he is more a playmaker than finisher... he can score a little, but he is better as a supporting center who makes the pass to the finisher... as such Kessel is ideal for him... when sheahan cleans up his own end he can get the puck to Phil... i like that duo... its a shame when Malkin returns sheahan will be put back in no mans land on the fourth...

I really wish more of our wingers pk'd so we could run 4 killer lines...

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't care. You have to go through the best to win it all.

We erased 2012 this year. Get by the second round and erase 2013 as well in the ECF. Win the cup. Cant draw it up much better than that.

3 in a row while making up for 2012 and 2013

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Hoping for a game 7 just because. And I'd rather see the Jackets in the next round. Funny feeling the Caps could break the curse this year. Too much tempting fate.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Think about how hard it is to beat a team 3 games in a row. We'd be trying to win three series/years in a row with Washington. Would be difficult but would be so amazing to witness.

That being said. Put me in the I don't care column. Picking who you'd want to face is a slippery slope

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Anyone remember the Bortuzzo hit on Jagr as he was coming behind the net, just after releasing a pass? 2014 I think.

Bortz got 2 games because the DOPs deemed that because something like .5 or .6 of a second had passed after Jagr released the puck, the hit was "predatory"...oh, and "violent". So 2 games.

Wonder what Hags thinks about that.

Yeah. They all have to know that the DoPS is a joke.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Looks like it is going to be Pens vs Caps for thr third year in a row, yawn.

Good thing I'll probably miss all the games. Tired of playing them. This rivalry is so drawn out. It isn't a rivalry, just constant owning. This year won't be different unless Geno and Hags cannot play.

It will be close-ish, the Caps will goon it it up, their PP is the only reason why we won't sweep and we will break their heart. This movie has gotten boring.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
If it is the Caps we end up playing, special teams could be the big equalizer for the Caps. Their PP is still terrifying (Over 35% this series) . Pens PP can't be non-threatening for large swaths of the series like it was against Philly.

Obviously at ES with Geno in the lineup, I like how we match up, but special teams can win or lose a series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille