GDT: Round Robin #3: FLYERS (away) vs. Lightning (home) at Toronto, Saturday, Aug. 8, 2020, 8:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I strongly object to painting #1 seeds as chokers if they don't win a Cup, but mostly I'm afraid we're getting a little bit carried away here.

We can and should be very excited without taking it this far.
Getting swept by Columbus in round 1 when you dominated the league was a choke. That was what I was referencing.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Only thing it would help is a few games of knowing the bounces off the boards better than your opponents. But probably after a round or two that would go away.

I wonder how much of the first hour of a practice on foreign ice is devoted to bouncing passes and firing dump-ins off the boards. Surely scouting will have notes on how active the boards are but the players have to feel it out for themselves.

And before anyone else does ...

giphy.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Getting swept by Columbus in round 1 when you dominated the league was a choke. That was what I was referencing.

Fair enough. But that's going to happen to the Flyers against whoever you think is the worst team they can play in the first round some percentage of the time too. They're not immune to variance or teams that particularly leverage their weaknesses well.

To be clear that this isn't a negative Flyers take or anything -- if that does happen, it doesn't make their talent any less promising.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I wonder how much of the first hour of a practice on foreign ice is devoted to bouncing passes and firing dump-ins off the boards. Surely scouting will have notes on how active the boards are but the players have to feel it out for themselves.

And before anyone else does ...

giphy.gif

Practices aren't at that rink though... Not sure of morning skates.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think the Flyers are on top of their game.

But neither were Boston & Washington. (And Washington had some key absences in Carlson & Eller.)

The Flyers have been converting opportunities, killing penalties, winning faceoffs, & playing pretty good team D.

With the puck, they need to simplify. They’ve got some guys trying to do too much, & too often have been looking for the perfect play. Need to get back to chipping it in when nothing’s there, & also getting the puck to the net instead of over-passing (on the PP especially). TK has to shoot more.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I don’t think the Flyers are on top of their game.

But neither were Boston & Washington. (And Washington had some key absences in Carlson & Eller.)

The Flyers have been converting opportunities, killing penalties, winning faceoffs, & playing pretty good team D.

With the puck, they need to simplify. They’ve got some guys trying to do too much, & too often have been looking for the perfect play. Need to get back to chipping it in when nothing’s there, & also getting the puck to the net instead of over-passing (on the PP especially). TK has to shoot more.
The ice has been shitty for most games from all reports. Pucks are bouncing in any game after the first game. It's equal for all teams so not an excuse.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
When JVR comes in for Bunnaman tomorrow, who plays 3RW?

Do you go JVR-Grant-Farabee, NAK-NT-Pitlick?

Or do you put NAK or Pitlick at 3RW, & Farabee at 4LW?

I kind of like the idea of playing NAK & Pitlick on the same line, since they’re both so relentless & terrific forecheckers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Barkowitz is worried about the Flyers getting the 1st seed in the conference because recent playoff history of 1st seeds has been hit or miss.

These playoffs are a totally separate beast from any that have come before it due to the demon whore that is COVID-19.

Well, Barkowitz is from the Old Guard of Daily News Idiots, so of course he thinks that.

Reactions: Stizzle

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
When JVR comes in for Bunnaman tomorrow, who plays 3RW?

Do you go JVR-Grant-Farabee, NAK-NT-Pitlick?

Or do you put NAK or Pitlick at 3RW, & Farabee at 4LW?

I kind of like the idea of playing NAK & Pitlick on the same line, since they’re both so relentless & terrific forecheckers.
I'd go option 2 and hope for the best. They need to put something peppy in Grant's Gatorade.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'd go option 2 and hope for the best. They need to put something peppy in Grant's Gatorade.
A lot of people are hung up on Grant, but he hasn’t bothered me much. He’s been a good PKer & faceoff guy, & with Raffl out & Laughton playing 2LW, PKing & faceoffs are important attributes for the guys competing for depth roles.

Reactions: flyersNducks

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
A lot of people are hung up on Grant, but he hasn’t bothered me much. He’s been a good PKer & faceoff guy, & with Raffl out & Laughton playing 2LW, PKing & faceoffs are important attributes for the guys competing for depth roles.

He looks like he cant move. I was fine with him before the break but is he just really out of shape now or taking it easy out there like an established vet with no worries? Whatever the cause, his inability to skate is the main reason the 3rd line looks bad. Not JVR, NAK or Pitlick. The center cant move. I mean just watch him. It's bad.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can someone explain why people think that faceoffs are more important than actual hockey play between the whistles?

I think maybe we should stop defending bad players by citing faceoff ability. I've seen this as a defense of Grant multiple times over the past week.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Can someone explain why people think that faceoffs are more important than actual hockey play between the whistles?

I think maybe we should stop defending bad players by citing faceoff ability. I've seen this as a defense of Grant multiple times over the past week.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Even the best face off guys lose 40% of the time. So that means when you send in a 4C who's best attribute is his faceoff ability but his actual play is sub par, there is a 40% chance he is going to e forced to play a meaningful shift before he puck gets moved out of the zone and he can get off the ice. I would rather take the guy that has a 60% chance of losing the draw but then being able to play effective defence.

Also ghostsbeer supporting Grants play and going against the consensus. What a twist!

Oh well

Couts is great, I see no flaws on the team. The cup is a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad