Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
His 3 games here are irrelevant.

This is what the cost is to bring a top KHL goaltender over.

Given the state of the team, I’d much rather take a chance on a potential boom player. If he busts, then we will know and a poor goaltending tandem will help drive a better pick.

Far more important things to focus on then a 2 year signing and paying goalies $5 million total.
This is a fair point. On its face the contract isn't a good deal, but with no cap issues and him having options in the KHL or elsewhere it isn't terrible.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If the Flyers truly acted like a rebuilding team in other aspects I could come around to the it doesn’t matter these next two years justification being used. But alas the rebuild only gets used when it’s convenient to justify something that might be polarizing.

They just paid a guy with three NHL games to a deal that suggests he’s a proven backup/1B caliber of goalie which remains to be seen.

Like we couldn’t trade Scott Laughton but when can do this? :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
His 3 games here are irrelevant.

This is what the cost is to bring a top KHL goaltender over.

Given the state of the team, I’d much rather take a chance on a potential boom player. If he busts, then we will know and a poor goaltending tandem will help drive a better pick.

Far more important things to focus on then a 2 year signing and paying goalies $5 million total.
This logic is so flawed.

He was SUPPOSED to give the Flyers 1 year of playing for 1.1 million. Instead we got parts of 3 games. How about factoring that into the new contract? Did we not bring that up in negotiations? Or like always, we just bend over and get taken advantage of.

5 million total?

So we just ignore they are also paying 5 million for Cal Peterson? Reality is we are spending 10 million on goalies this year....almost 9 in cap hits.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This logic is so flawed.

He was SUPPOSED to give the Flyers 1 year of playing for 1.1 million. Instead we got parts of 3 games. How about factoring that into the new contract? Did we not bring that up in negotiations? Or like always, we just bend over and get taken advantage of.

5 million total?

So we just ignore they are also paying 5 million for Cal Peterson? Reality is we are spending 10 million on goalies this year....almost 9 in cap hits.
Peterson only exists when you want to bring up the 1st they got in addition to him. The drawbacks from his contract vanish into thin air once you have to talk about them after the trade was made.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This logic is so flawed.

5 million total?

Anyone in Fedotov’s camp would (and probably did) argue that the three games here have no impact on his value contract wise given the circumstances. And they’d be right.

Reality is he doesn’t come over without this money. He just sticks it out in the KHL and collects there.

In my eyes its an easy decision to take the chance and see what you have in him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reactions: freakydallas13

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
It's worth taking a chance on this guy - he will be in a better environment with this Flyers org and he has a lot of room for improvement, which is what you want for a MONSTER goalie.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Buy a second Kate Smith statue.
Hilferty was so excited for the “Kate Smith surprise”. He intimated to season ticket holders at a recent event that they were going to bring her back (presumably at the first home playoff game). It’s a shame he’ll have to wait several more years to deliver after that epic collapse.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hilferty was so excited for the “Kate Smith surprise”. He intimated to season ticket holders at a recent event that they were going to bring her back (presumably at the first home playoff game). It’s a shame he’ll have to wait several more years to deliver after that epic collapse.
If hockey gods exist, that just goes to show that that doesn’t happen unless things truly are going right. They felt entitled to their flowers and now must wait.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't understand how franchise famously known for goalie issues is ranting about a potential wild card from Russia with good prior record (even if it was not NHL) for money that is not loco levels.
I hear you but this franchise is also famous for cap mismanagement and high hopes blowing up in our faces.

I can also understand the possible underlying factor of recompensing Fedotov for getting himself out of Russia, but why does it seem like there is always a reward tax on every contract the Flyers sign? I can't think of a last tough but fair contract that was a win-win. Well, there is Frost's 2-year deal but the FO has probably diminished his trade value below even that.

Reactions: renberg

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I hear you but this franchise is also famous for cap mismanagement and high hopes blowing up in our faces.

I can also understand the possible underlying factor of recompensing Fedotov for getting himself out of Russia, but why does it seem like there is always a reward tax on every contract the Flyers sign? I can't think of a last tough but fair contract that was a win-win. Well, there is Frost's 2-year deal but the FO has probably diminished his trade value below even that.

I understand your point fully but this is not an ordinary case, as clicheic as it might sound. No one can evaluate cost of convincing person to come from Russia.

Reactions: BernieParent

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Who else here has a ‘reward tax?’

Reactions: BernieParent

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nice to know they're focused on the important things going into year 50 since their last Cup.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don’t mind him if he is slotted right. But there is the problem
It's less I think he's a bad player (he's a perfectly cromulent bottom sixer) and more this team is dedicated to resigned everyone on their current mediocre roster and hoping Michkov pushes them over the edge to a cup.

Aka, another decade of futility, coming right up.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Who else here has a ‘reward tax?’
Thanks for your question, GKJ. The first one who comes to mind is Seeler, who got too much ($2.7 million) for too long (4 years). Tippett got too much of a raise ($6.2 million) for the full 8 years. Laughton and Couturier's contracts aren't a matter of salary but length. Deslauriers has a contract ... for 4 years with a modified NTC for 2 of them.

Historically, who could forget the following:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for your question, GKJ. The first one who comes to mind is Seeler, who got too much ($2.7 million) for too long (4 years). Tippett got too much of a raise ($6.2 million) for the full 8 years. Laughton and Couturier's contracts aren't a matter of salary but length. Deslauriers has a contract ... for 4 years with a modified NTC for 2 of them.

Historically, who could forget the following:

A tax would suggest that there are other reasons they get the deal they had other than their evaluations. A lot of teams do what you're saying, they're not the only ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad