Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 188: Ivan Fedotov, G, Reaktor Nizhnekamsk (MHL --> KHL)| 3/29 CSKA contract terminated, may join Flyers soon, new contract 4/23 2x3.25M

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Fedotov had no leverage other than potentially burying his NHL aspirations.
It's not like he would have gotten anything close to that from any other NHL franchise - in fact, he may have struggled to even get a couple of 1 year NHL contract offers.

And how come the Flyers never ever negotiate performance bonuses?
Because you can only use them in entry level contracts and over-35 contracts. Fedotov isn't eligible.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
It's not like he would have gotten anything close to that from any other NHL franchise - in fact, he may have struggled to even get a couple of 1 year NHL contract offers.

That's not the flyers way, you're to give 110% at all times, it's time to be a f***ing flyer baby :sarcasm:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Other Russian players should take note on how much NHL GMs are valuing the army experience. :sarcasm: Seriously though, I'm just glad that after all the stuff he has gone through he at least got some good money.

I mean, sure. I’m happy for him too. But this payout isn’t a surprise. We are used to the Flyers being a charity.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Even if this is true, and they had an idea of what it would cost keep him around, don’t even bother bringing him over?

Right? What the f*** was the point?

I'm contrasting this to the Gauthier situation.

The issue there, despite the Jones/Hilferty HE DIDNT WAN BE FLYER narrative, seems to be that he wanted to burn a year of ELC early and they were unwilling to do that and the relationship fell apart.

You want to maintain as much long-term contract control as you can with the young studs, and I totally get that, but you gotta pick your battles. No, he wouldn't have "earned" it, and yes it would have cost them more money to retain the player, because inevitably you end up paying on a big extension a year earlier than you'd want to. A complicating factor there is that the previous GM may have promised that option to the player and then the new one, in his first act as GM, may have reneged that promise.

But the idea that they looked at that situation and said "f*** you, no" and then turned around and promise low-end starter money to a guy who was 30th in save percentage in a 23-team B league, and then feel beholden to that promise...

I don't think Briere knows what he's doing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Then you walk away.
You don’t sign a player to a shitty contract just so you can get a deal done. They have plenty of goaltenders in the pipeline and for next season, you just go with Ersson and a journeyman vet on a 1 year deal.

It’s a bad signing.

Again, that’s simply not the realities of dealing with older Russian players, and specifically the goalies. It’s not wise to freeze yourselves out of players from an entire country based on the economics in signing them. Because of the league they played in, it is different. If you want to not deal with KHL veterans that reason, it is a choice, definitely, but I prefer to be in the game because their recent history is such that it’s usually worth it for their best players, and Fedotov was one of them. There is simply a cost to it and it will happen with Michkov, too.

The Rangers and Islanders did similar with Shesterkin and Sorokin, which as goaltenders are the most-like comparables, who also played for top KHL teams. Shesterkin maxed out his bonuses, which does not happen for any other players his age on ELC’s, even the Russians, and then got a huge deal. Sorokin burned his one-year ELC in the bubble, signed for his lone RFA year a month later (which he did play on) and then got a larger deal.

Even if this is true, and they had an idea of what it would cost keep him around, don’t even bother bringing him over?
They really made him whole missing out last season and what he would’ve had if he was here this year on a new deal. If you were willing to do it then, you were willing to do it now. Luckily, we’re not contenders competing on the salary cap, we’re still on fact-finding missions.

Reactions: renberg and Larry44

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He was a UFA, you can’t do that unless they’re 35+ or missed time with significant injury (i.e. Connor Brown)

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They made a big deal out of him being a Great Victory and after the collapse they couldn't let their sole win leave. It's probably a miracle he didn't get 4.
I said this on Xhitter and I'll say it again: This contract is about half of what they were going to have to pay Voldemort, so they locked him up for a couple years to see how he does.

Total goaltending costs will be $4.7M for the next 2 years. Philadelphia Flyers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
This is relatively cheap and the cost certainty is better than letting him walk, since they need to find out if he can play until we know about Kolosov et al. Way better than a 4 or 5 year deal and better than him walking UFA.

You could argue let him walk, but then we're scrambling for a #1B/2. You could argue no one else would give him a UFA contract like that, but none of us know that. I would counter that if they low balled him too badly, he could just go home and get a comparable contract in the KHL.

This is fine. If he turns into a sieve, we get a better pick next year. If he's a star, he's another asset to keep or trade.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Again, that’s simply not the realities of dealing with older Russian players, and specifically the goalies. It’s not wise to freeze yourselves out of players from an entire country based on the economics in signing them. Because of the league they played in, it is different. If you want to not deal with KHL veterans that reason, it is a choice, definitely, but I prefer to be in the game because their recent history is such that it’s usually worth it for their best players, and Fedotov was one of them. There is simply a cost to it and it will happen with Michkov, too.

At some point in this paragraph, you probably should evaluate the player. And if you disagree and think he's worth 3 x 2, that's fine. We're all throwing darts at what the actual player is. But E was talking about Fedotov, not the future situations you've invented to make an argument.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
This contract really isn’t that bad. Will look even more normal at the end of the offseason I think. Plenty of guys in that AAV that could be just as bad. Cal Peterson is still the most expensive goalie on the Flyers haha.

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE and Larry44

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At some point in this paragraph, you probably should evaluate the player. And if you disagree and think he's worth 3 x 2, that's fine. We're all throwing darts at what the actual player is. But E was talking about Fedotov, not the future situations you've invented to make an argument.
Throwing darts or taking big swings. The risk-reward balance is still tilted in the favor of reward right now. Should 3 games having been thrown into the cauldron out of sheer desperation change what you already thought of the player?

Reactions: renberg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Throwing darts or taking big swings. The risk-reward balance is still tilted in the favor of reward right now. Should 3 games having been thrown into the cauldron out of sheer desperation change what you already thought of the player?

I said upthread that he was put in an impossible situation and those games could not have mattered to me one bit no matter how well or poorly he played. They functionally didn't happen. Couldn't agree more there.

If you think this is a big swing because you see a reasonable likelihood of meaningful outcomes, again that's of course fine. Because that's an opinion about the player. But don't tell me this is a discussion about ever being able to sign an older Russian player because they walked away from a UFA who wanted more than they wanted to spend. We can't handwave the actual player. Sorokin and Shesterkin's contracts are only relevant to Briere if he thinks they're similar prospects. I would hope no one is saying that. I may have no faith in them, but I don't think they're quite that out to lunch.

Reactions: BernieParent

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
mehh. It's a lot of money. He has proven nothing. I don't mind it for two reasons. 1. It takes away some of the cash that would've been available for useless veteran plugs that we're all expecting. 2. It's win-win in my mind. If he is good, it's not that much money. If he flounders, we get a much better draftpick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I said upthread that he was put in an impossible situation and those games could not have mattered to me one bit no matter how well or poorly he played. They functionally didn't happen. Couldn't agree more there.

If you think this is a big swing because you see a reasonable likelihood of meaningful outcomes, again that's of course fine. Because that's an opinion about the player. But don't tell me this is a discussion about ever being able to sign an older Russian player because they walked away from a UFA who wanted more than they wanted to spend. We can't handwave the actual player. Sorokin and Shesterkin's contracts are only relevant to Briere if he thinks they're similar prospects. I would hope no one is saying that. I may have no faith in them, but I don't think they're quite that out to lunch.
I’m not comparing their numbers, just the business that was done. This was something that was already frameworked prior to him getting here.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Fedotov is getting less salary than Hart was so it's not like the organization is plowing more revenue into the position. Based on his play in the past, he'll be at the least a decent back up.
If he were to have gone UFA, he would have netted what the Flyers gave him on the open market. There are several clubs that are that desperate for goalies this summer.

Reactions: Larry44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad