Marlies GDT: Round 3, Game 4: Marlies vs. Hershey 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Round 3, Game 4: Marlies vs. Hershey

By Sherry Jean, Posted on May 27, 2016

marlies15-16_playoffs_preview_rd3gm4_1024x512-768x384.jpg

Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Final between the Toronto Marlies and Hershey Bears is set for 7:30pm tonight at Ricoh Coliseum. The Marlies currently trail the Bears 3-0 in the series. Catch all of the action on TSN2.

Game 3 Summary

Josh Leivo opened the scoring for the Marlies, recording his third goal of the post season.
Colin Smith scored his first goal of the post season 8:09 into the first period.
Mark Arcobello collected his eighth assist of the post season on the Marlies opening tally.
Stuart Percy recorded his third assist of the playoffs on the Josh Leivo goal.
Ben Smith assisted on the Colin Smith goal; his fifth assist and seventh point of the post season.
Three teams in AHL history have come back from a 0-3 series deficit. The last team to do so were the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in 2013 (per AHLPR).

Puck drop is at 7:30pm on TSN2 and TSN1050. Don’t forget to follow the Marlies on Twitter and tune in to our #MarliesLive chat.

TSN2 Channel Listings
Cable Provider SD HD
Bell Fibe 401 1401
Bell Satellite 402 1402
Rogers 407/495 98/994
Shaw 182 237
Cogeco 862
Telus 401 851/1401
MTS 21 1021
Access Communications 282 582
SaskTel 112 412

Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe isn't ready for summer vacation yet

The Marlies are starting at a 3-0 deficit against the Hershey Bears in the AHL Calder Cup conference final, but coach Keefe isn't ready to give up.

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Thu., May 26, 2016

Toronto Marlies head coach Sheldon Keefe isn’t a rah-rah guy, at least not in public. His interviews don’t come across — like those of Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock’s — as motivational speeches. There is a calmness to Keefe’s approach.

But if there is a key similarity between Keefe and his mentor, Babcock, it is a shared optimism, an ability to take a negative and frame it as a positive.

So a 3-0 deficit to the Hershey Bears in the AHL Calder Cup conference final is not a hole to Keefe. It’s an opportunity.

“The expectation is that we’re going to lose,” said Keefe after an optional practice on Thursday. “Nobody is giving us much hope, given the situation we’re in and how we played. There’s a nice opportunity now for the guys to reveal themselves in a positive way, to get themselves up off the mat.”

This is Keefe’s first season coaching in the pros. His star has risen quickly since he got the coaching bug in 2006-07, winning the championship with the Tier II Pembroke Lumber Kings and joining executive Kyle Dubas, first with the Soo Greyhounds of the OHL and now in the Leafs organization.

Combining all of his seasons with Pembroke, the Soo and the Marlies, Keefe’s teams have amassed a regular-season record of 193-55-13.

The Leafs hope his history of winning rubs off on his Marlies players and bubble up eventually to the Leafs.

“It’s important what’s going on around here,” said Keefe. “It’s a positive for everyone to still be playing hockey at the end of May. That’s a good thing. It’s good for our players to know that hockey doesn’t end in April.

“Hockey is played well into June. You have to earn your way there. You want everybody to play that long. That’s the goal. When you prepare for the season, you should plan a short summer. If it ends up long, you should be pretty upset about that. That’s what we’re trying to build around here.”

Babcock couldn’t have said it any better than Keefe.

The Marlies remain hopeful of a short summer, but are precariously close to getting out the golf clubs. They are not supposed to be in this position. The talk from the Maple Leafs front office all season was how they were grooming prospects in the minors, having them learn how to win together in the AHL and bring that winning spirit with them when their time comes in the NHL.

But as rich as the team believes it to be in prospects, none of the big names — from William Nylander through Zach Hyman, Connor Brown and Nikita Soshnikov — have performed well against Hershey. The Marlies were the AHL’s highest-scoring team, but have five goals through three games against the Bears.

“Things happen in sports,” said Keefe. “It’s a chance to respond here now, and really, it’s ‘what do you want to be remembered for?’ You’re going to be remembered one way or another the rest of the way, good or bad.

“You’re going to be remembered for how you perform the remainder of this series beginning on Friday night.”

As well, goaltending has proved a problem with neither Antoine Bibeau nor Garret Sparks eliciting much confidence. Bibeau, who was pulled after allowing four goals in a little over two periods on Wednesday night, will start Game 4.

“Both guys have been shaken a little bit,” said Keefe. “But both have played well at different times.”

It’s happened only three times in the history of the AHL that a team has rallied to win a series it trailed 3-0. The last time was 2013.

“The task at hand is daunting, it’s overwhelming when you look big picture,” said Keefe. “But short term, there’s a game Friday night we can win. The opportunity for us to come off the mat and come out swinging is one that will reflect positively on our guys.”

It's do or die for Marlies in Game 4

By Rob Longley, Toronto Sun

TORONTO - Forget the goaltending for a moment — though that is high on the list of the list of concerns for the Marlies as they desperately attempt to avoid elimination in the AHL’s Eastern Conference final.

And forget that a team that led the league in regular-season scoring has managed just five goals in three games against the upstart and suddenly extremely confident Hershey Bears.

If this Marlies team, loaded with future Maple Leafs, is to climb out of an 0-3 hole in the best-of-seven series starting with Game 4 here on Friday, it will need to show much more.

“Friday night is going to roll around and we’ll see who has the things that you can’t teach,” said Marlies forward and alternate captain, Rich Clune. “(Coach Sheldon Keefe) and the rest of the staff here have taught us everything about how to play the game, X’s and O’s. We do all this development and everything, it’s the best program I’ve ever seen, hands down.

“But Friday it will be a chance to see who's got some heart.”

At times in the first three games of the series, that great hockey intangible has been missing from a Marlies team that rolled through the regular season.

It certainly was absent in Game 1 this past Friday in Hershey, a 3-1 loss in which the Marlies barely competed much of the night. And once the goaltending damn broke in Wednesday’s 8-2 embarrassment against the Bears, the commitment was once again brought into question.

Both Clune and Keefe believe that the Marlies have it in them to battle back. Against a Bears team that is brimming with confidence and is getting superb goaltending from Justin Peters, it won’t come easily, however.

“The task at hand is daunting,” said Keefe, who allowed his team a light, optional practice on Thursday. “It’s overwhelming when you look big picture, but short term there’s a game Friday night we can win. The opportunity for us to come up off the mat and come out swinging is one which will reflect very positively on our guys.”

NET PAINS

It had to be a painful conversation when Keefe and Marlies general manager Kyle Dubas discussed the goaltending options for Friday’s possible elimination game.

Ultimately, the decision was made to go with Antoine Bibeau, who has handled the bulk of the action this post-season but was pulled after allowing four goals on Wednesday, the last of them a crucial Bears goal early in the third period of Game 3.

While Bibeau didn’t necessarily earn the return start, Garret Sparks inspired even less confidence when he allowed goals on three of the first five shots he faced.

"It’s a concern, clearly,” Keefe said when asked Thursday about the confidence of his goaltenders. “Both guys have shown that they’ve been shaken here a little bit. But that said, we’ve got both guys that have played extremely well for us at times so there is confidence on that end of it as a team.

“Antoine Bibeau is going (on Friday) and he’s going to be great, just as he was in the Albany series and just as he was in the regular season all the way through. Certainly they are shaken, but we have confidence in them.”

SCORING DROUGHT

The Marlies won’t be able to mount a comeback without a return of a high-flying offence that led the AHL with an average of 3.88 goals per game in the regular season.

The Marlies have yet to have a two-goal lead at any point in the Eastern Conference final.

“We’re going to do everything we can to get momentum our way and try to put something together,” said Marlies forward Colin Smith, who had a slick breakaway goal in Wednesday’s loss. “(The Bears) have a lot of skill, but so do we. We haven’t touched our potential yet and that’s what we’re focused on.”

The Marlies could also use an off-night from Hershey goaltender Peters, who struggled in the regular season but has a stellar 10-4 record in these playoffs plus a goals against average of 1.74 and .937 save percentage.

“We did feel the team that defended the best and got the better goaltending would eventually win the series,” Bears coach Troy Mann said. “So far, we all know Justin Peters has been great for us.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
If the Marlies had better goaltending depth the series wouldn't be 3-0 for the bears. Both goalies are average or below average. Maybe that's why they were picked very low in their draft years. Drew Mcintyre where are you?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Marlies need goaltending or it is over. A bad goal early and this could be a miserable finish.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of Bibeau / Sparks is gone next year with the other starting in Orlando. Marlies goaltending has been utterly exposed this playoff.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war.

Kids have to leave it all on the ice tonight because I have not been able to watch a single live game of this series and won't be able to until game 5 and 6, so come on Marlies, win this one for ol' salty!!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
If the Marlies had better goaltending depth the series wouldn't be 3-0 for the bears. Both goalies are average or below average. Maybe that's why they were picked very low in their draft years. Drew Mcintyre where are you?

After Chicago's season was finished, he was quickly signed in Europe..., but if there was ever a completely misdiagnosed & under-rated goaltender, it's definitely Drew.. If you look through all his seasons stats..., he has rarely ever gone below .900.. and when he did, it was a season/team where he only played a small amount of games.., while still playing in another League... AND/OR... it was a REALLY bad team..., defensively.. (but he did very well, with the Marlies)..

I would sign him back in a heartbeat.., because in ten years of steadily playing..., to my knowledge, he has never lost in games to a concussion, has been rolled over by opponents skaters several times.. and never even came out of a game.., he's very cheap..., very dependable.. and very consistent... A good solid back-up, for any team..

And by the way.. (for those who seem to think he's "too old") he's 32... and.. has over nine years of pro experience, already... If he was as "average" as some have suggested.., he wouldn't still be in the League at all..

FYI...., Bower started with the Leafs around 33.. and played 12 seasons with them... and then retired, in his mid-40's.. Not average.., but some goalies can play much longer, than skaters do.. I think that Mac is one of them.. King Henry, Luongo, Miller and Thomas are other examples..

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan...

Definitely a "do or die" situation..! Hope they can reach down and pull out some toughness and take this series back.. Tall order, though..

(*MONSTERS won the WESTERN CONFERENCE.. info. below..)

#ConquerCalder: Toronto Marlies 2016 Playoff Tribute/Pump - TML

GO MARLIES GO !!

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS - THIRD ROUND - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

297572_orig.png
VS
200px-Hershey_Bears_logo.png

Eastern Conference Finals – Series “M†(best-of-7)
N1-Toronto Marlies vs. A1-Hershey Bears

Hershey Leads Series 3-0
Game 1 – Fri., May 20 – Toronto 1, Hershey 3
Game 2 – Sat., May 21 – Toronto 2, Hershey 3 (OT)
Game 3 – Wed., May 25 – Hershey 8, Toronto 2
Game 4 – Fri., May 27 – Hershey at Toronto, 7:30
*Game 5 – Sun., May 29 – Hershey at Toronto, 3:00
*Game 6 – Tue., May 31 – Toronto at Hershey, 7:00
*Game 7 – Thu., June 2 – Hershey at Toronto, 7:30

OntarioReign2-01.png
VS
sports--hockey--ahl_lake-erie-monsters_large.jpg

Western Conference Finals – Series “N†(best-of-7)
P1-Ontario Reign vs. C2-Lake Erie Monsters

Lake Erie Wins Western Conference Championship 4-0
Game 1 – Sat., May 21 – Lake Erie 4, Ontario 3
Game 2 – Sun., May 22 – Lake Erie 3, Ontario 2
Game 3 – Tue., May 24 – Ontario 0, Lake Erie 4
Game 4 – Thu., May 26 – Ontario 1, Lake Erie 2 (*2 O.T.'s)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Marlies need goaltending or it is over. A bad goal early and this could be a miserable finish.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of Bibeau / Sparks is gone next year with the other starting in Orlando. Marlies goaltending has been utterly exposed this playoff.

Yup, goal-tending is an organizational weakness no doubt

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
As far as the AHL goes, the Marlies goaltending is certainly passable.

Just a couple of rough games for them. The Marlies mediocre defense is getting pretty exposed this deep in the playoffs, and that's a much bigger problem IMO

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Sheldon Keefe - May 26, 2016

Colin Smith - May 26, 2016

Richard Clune - May 26, 2016

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am so disappointed that this team is down 3 - 0 after dominating the regular season

What went wrong beside goal tending?

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I am so disappointed that this team is down 3 - 0 after dominating the regular season

At least, during the second game of the series they couldn't capitalize their chances. They had plenty of shots but no one was able to score.

Mad Brills*

The result of this series has ZERO impact on these prospects futures by the way.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Strangely, I feel optimistic. This is partly because I won't be devastated if we get knocked out here. It's hard to win in the playoffs and winning two series is something to be pleased about. This has been an amazing developmental season for the organisation from top to bottom and nothing that happens now will change that.

But beyond that, I actually think this team is capable of winning four straight. I certainly think we can win two straight and if we do, the series will look very different at that point.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

In this series.... everything is wrong. No offense, no good defense, no goal tending.

Easy to blame the tenders for last game, and rightfully so..... but let's not forget the 5 goals scored in the first 3 games.....that is also unacceptable.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Strangely, I feel optimistic. This is partly because I won't be devastated if we get knocked out here. It's hard to win in the playoffs and winning two series is something to be pleased about. This has been an amazing developmental season for the organisation from top to bottom and nothing that happens now will change that.

But beyond that, I actually think this team is capable of winning four straight. I certainly think we can win two straight and if we do, the series will look very different at that point.

I agree.
This team has done very well and if this is the last game for them this season, they have done a great job and I will be a happy Fan, consider, they are one of the youngest teams in the AHL and many of the players will be Leafs next season.

I too think they are capable of winning some more Games and there are rumours that Mitch Marner could Join the Marlies after the Knights win the OHL Championship and that would give the Marlies a big boost.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
As far as the AHL goes, the Marlies goaltending is certainly passable.

Just a couple of rough games for them. The Marlies mediocre defense is getting pretty exposed this deep in the playoffs, and that's a much bigger problem IMO

MacIntyre was passable. Every once in a while we would get out goaltended by an up and coming guy like Mrazek. At least Mac would give them a chance.

Next year I am fine with a retread like Scrivens if we can't deal for a prospect.

Defence is a problem and I would like to send a giant FU to Nashville for Granberg. That was just payback for recent trades and sniffing around Vesey. Harrington being out for 6 months didn't help. I don't know what injury sends a guy out for that long. Was he mauled by a bear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad