Post-Game Talk: Round 3, Game 2: Can the Rangers break the streak?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The idea that Takarski (sp?) played poorly is completely overblown. He gave up 1 questionable goal and even that he had to move side to side and Nash got it off right away. Otherwise, he was screened on a perfect one timer by MSL and was beaten by a fluke.

I said their goalie did not play great. If Hank had given up that goal you would have shredded him in multiple posts. You have done that many times. Actually you have shredded him many times for goals you are now offering up excuses for.

You are the king of hyperbole on these boards.

nasmis

Feb 1, 2011
It took him a while but he's back to playing as good as before. He doesn't get much media attention because he's a LHD behind Ryan Mcdonagh.

He is playing really well these days, but I still have the feeling that his career trajectory would have brought him to an even higher level at this point had it not been for his injuries.

He is now back to the level of being an elite top pairing defenseman with some offensive point production, but back in 2010-11 he was on the NHL All-star team, and people considered him as a Norris Trophy contender. I don't think it's the same.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You can't switch guys in your head and tell what happens. That's why they play the game.

Pretty amusing that Habs fans are in here whining that the rangers have better goaltending than they do.

You missed by a mile with that swing.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
My point could not have been much clearer. I agree that Hank is part of the team. I merely pointed out that if you switched goalies, it is a dominating victory for Montreal. Do you disagree?

One goalie played great and the other didn't.

The Habs played the way they did because they knew they had a rusty AHL goalie between the pipes. Put Hank there and I bet their game plan would be different, and there is no telling the outcome.

Point 2: Sather and AV would never have chosen a rusty AHL goalie to start an ECF game. That move may get a few people fired this summer.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I agree. We were in complete control of the game in the second and a majority of the 3rd. Defensively, they shut it down. We are playing an elite defensive game as well as getting elite goaltending right now, it's beautiful to watch!

However, if Hank had not been spectacular in the first, the Rangers would not have been sitting on a lead.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The Habs played the way they did because they knew they had a rusty AHL goalie between the pipes. Put Hank there and I bet their game plan would be different, and there is no telling the outcome.

Point 2: Sather and AV would never have chosen a rusty AHL goalie to start an ECF game. That move may get a few people fired this summer.

I don't disagree with you,.

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
I'm still worried about this series. Yes, we have total control of the series and it is ours to lose. However, what worries be is that if we get cocky, we are going to lose games. The further this series goes, the more pressure that will mount on us because we are now, without question, suppose to win this series. If Montreal can bring this series back to Montreal it could be bad.

I do think game 3 is huge. If we win, we have a good shot at the sweep. If we lose, Montreal has new life and chance to tie this series up and send it back to Montreal.

Series is far from over!

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
We limped through the 1st 2 Rounds of these playoffs with no Kreider and McDonagh at far from 100%. Injuries are part of the playoffs.

While I feel sympathy for MTL losing Price for the series, those are the breaks.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Subban is playing like a hot dog. He's been noticeable but not efficient

Last edited by a moderator:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Subban is playing like a hot dog. He's been noticeable but not efficient

All sizzle no steak. He turns it on for 5 mins a game, usually the last 5 he plays. It's an attempt to give people something to focus on other than his turnovers and poor defensive play. Sometimes he scores a goal and they contemplate building him a statue.

It's a shame the Rangers aren't getting any respect, it probably bothers me more than the players because I am sure they don't subject themselves to things like Canadian media and HF boards.

I am far from cocky, but if the way the Habs planned on containing Kreider was to put their top unit out against them and he makes them look bad I am fairly confident they don't have an answer. At this point I feel like the Rangers will have to beat themselves for Montreal to have a chance. Hank is lucky? GTFO I am sure he will be in a zone come Thursday, thanks PK.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
All sizzle no steak. He turns it on for 5 mins a game, usually the last 5 he plays. It's an attempt to give people something to focus on other than his turnovers and poor defensive play. Sometimes he scores a goal and they contemplate building him a statue.

It's a shame the Rangers aren't getting any respect, it probably bothers me more than the players because I am sure they don't subject themselves to things like Canadian media and HF boards.

I am far from cocky, but if the way the Habs planned on containing Kreider was to put their top unit out against them and he makes them look bad I am fairly confident they don't have an answer. At this point I feel like the Rangers will have to beat themselves for Montreal to have a chance. Hank is lucky? GTFO I am sure he will be in a zone come Thursday, thanks PK.

Oh, come on. I don't care for Subban, but that's an unfair assessment of his game. He leads MTL in points in the playoffs, and he would have at least a couple goals this series against any other goalie.

That being said, if they're willing to sacrifice him just to contain Kreider, I wouldn't expect too much noise from him the rest of the series. He's definitely MTL's most dynamic player.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Oh, come on. I don't care for Subban, but that's an unfair assessment of his game. He leads MTL in points in the playoffs, and he would have at least a couple goals this series against any other goalie.

That being said, if they're willing to sacrifice him just to contain Kreider, I wouldn't expect too much noise from him the rest of the series. He's definitely MTL's most dynamic player.

Overall? Sure

In this series? No.

For two games he's been all flash, yes he is dynamic, that's what everyone falls in love with. Overall game? Not that impressive.

AHB*

If Subban has to carry this team offensively, they will lose.

Pacioretty and Vanek have been completely invisible. Their offense is just not good and their 4th line is awful compared to ours. Dale Weise is a scrub and Prust is washed up.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

Pacioretty and Vanek have been completely invisible. Their offense is just not good and their 4th line is awful compared to ours. Dale Weise is a scrub and Prust is washed up.

Prust is a victim of hubris.

Earned his money the hard way and thought he was more talented than he actually is should have stuck with what had been working.

toastbag

Apr 23, 2012

I think if Tokarski played horrible and gave up multiple bad goals than yes, but I think especially under the circumstances that he held his own. No clue how the rest of the series will shape up, but I don't think he played all that bad on Sunday. Not to mention Budaj certainly didn't look great in the third period of game 1 when he gave up 3 goals on 8 shots.

AHB*

Prust is a victim of hubris.

Earned his money the hard way and thought he was more talented than he actually is should have stuck with what had been working.

He had a career year here and scored 13 goals. He's a 5 goal scorer. His next highest total is 6. People are overrating him based on an outlier.

It's like thinking Boyle is a 20 goal scorer.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Overall? Sure

In this series? No.

For two games he's been all flash, yes he is dynamic, that's what everyone falls in love with. Overall game? Not that impressive.

Agreed. He is reminding me of Nash last round.

"Give me the puck, so I can skate around with it and take a low percentage shot! Now give it to me again to I can throw a bad pass and give it away"

He's skating imposingly with the puck, but really not creating high quality chances (aside from the one rush near the start of the last game)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I honestly don't get some of the comments coming out of Therriens mouth. If what he saw from his team in Game 2 is great then the Rangers have a distinct advantage going into Game 3. The coach, the players and the Montreal media are all concerned with providing excuses as to why they didnt win that game. Calls, Bounces, Lundqvist. They aren't looking in the mirror like they should be.

Sure, they played a pretty good first half of that game but then the wheels fell off. They were being beaten to pucks all over the ice as the Rangers "surgically" picked them apart for a large part of the third until Pouliot took that idiotic penalty. Therrien and the players should be worried more about what they need to do to get to another level then make excuses. They didnt play that great of a game in Game 2 despite all of those shots and chances. But i dont mind it. They could fool themselves into thinking that, thats fine - but i did not see a team that "carried the pace" for 60 minutes in Game 2.

I respect Montreal's game, for sure. They could absolutely take Game 3 and maybe even Game 4 if they take it to the Rangers and dont let up. But I dont see the mindset being right for their team right now.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Pacioretty was very far from invisible. Vanek was invisible.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think if Tokarski played horrible and gave up multiple bad goals than yes, but I think especially under the circumstances that he held his own. No clue how the rest of the series will shape up, but I don't think he played all that bad on Sunday. Not to mention Budaj certainly didn't look great in the third period of game 1 when he gave up 3 goals on 8 shots.

He looked like a rookie who never had been in the NHL playoffs before. He was sound in his decision making, held his own, but didnt possess the experience to know whats coming at him. He didnt get over for that Nash shot - he shot it almost in the center of the net. Thats the type of stuff that happens. He did what he could and did enough to stay in the series. The Rangers just need to keep firing shots at him, and get in his face. Hes not a big guy. Could he steal a game? Sure. The Rangers need to keep him on his toes, keep him honest and throw pucks at him from all angles.

After what Therrien said about him being a "winner" - and i believe that - he shouldnt have said that to the media because you are suggesting that Budaj is not. If Tokarski is a siv in Game 3, then hes going to either be left with the decision to go back to a rookie in an elimination situation, or put in the "loser". That's out of his mouth, not ours.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I honestly don't get some of the comments coming out of Therriens mouth. If what he saw from his team in Game 2 is great then the Rangers have a distinct advantage going into Game 3. The coach, the players and the Montreal media are all concerned with providing excuses as to why they didnt win that game. Calls, Bounces, Lundqvist. They aren't looking in the mirror like they should be.

Sure, they played a pretty good first half of that game but then the wheels fell off. They were being beaten to pucks all over the ice as the Rangers "surgically" picked them apart for a large part of the third until Pouliot took that idiotic penalty. Therrien and the players should be worried more about what they need to do to get to another level then make excuses. They didnt play that great of a game in Game 2 despite all of those shots and chances. But i dont mind it. They could fool themselves into thinking that, thats fine - but i did not see a team that "carried the pace" for 60 minutes in Game 2.

Exactly all of this.

What they should do, but won't, is say to themselves "the Rangers have beaten the **** out of us 80 of the first 120 minutes we've played against them" because they really have. I am being generous giving them 40 minutes where they may have played at our level or out played us. They've been beaten to the puck in almost every situation, have lost the board battles, are losing the physical battles, and getting out worked in almost every facet. Maybe acknowledging that would give them the motivation they need.

They can't believe they are down 0-2 to the lowly Rangers, and think it's "luck".

Montreal was better in game two and a far cry from their best, but it is going to take their best to beat the Rangers 4 out of 5 and they haven't shown the ability to get there consistently thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad