• Kings in 5

• Kings in 6

• Kings in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The other relavent thing that is getting overlooked (by some) on here...Skinner was a rookie goalie last season.
That was his first playoffs. Grant Fuhr said in an interview (I think that was from last season) that the first playoffs for many goalies is complete learning experience. Fuhr had an 0.853 sv% in the playoffs his first season. Save percentages were lower in those days overall but that was a brutal number.
He was much better after that.

So now we see what Skinner has learned from his first playoff experience.
I wouldnt be writing him off before the series even starts.
Then again...I dont hate the player like some posters do.
Good points about Fuhr. I don't think Stu has the same natural abilities but as you say, Stu is still only a sophomore.

Well, let's sit back and enjoy it and be thankful that with the terrible mess the World is in that we as Canadians have some simple, peaceful options. Grab a cold one and relax.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Particularly when this specific goalie has shown to be significantly better in his second playoff year at the previous two levels.

I feel reasonably good about Skinner, but there's still some concern and if it starts poorly from him it will be easy to revert.
Actually I wasnt aware of that. Very good to know.

Good points about Fuhr. I don't think Stu has the same natural abilities but as you say, Stu is still only a sophomore.

Well, let's sit back and enjoy it and be thankful that with the terrible mess the World is in that we as Canadians have some simple, peaceful options. Grab a cold one and relax.
I wasnt at all trying to compare the 2 goalies. Just pointing out that Fuhrs comments made a lot of sense.
Especially in light of what @bone just posted.

Regarding your last point....

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I wasnt at all trying to compare the 2 goalies. Just pointing out that Fuhrs comments made a lot of sense.
No problem, I knew you weren't. Enjoy the series, I'm not posting anymore until its over.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I wasnt at all trying to compare the 2 goalies. Just pointing out that Fuhrs comments made a lot fo sense.

Yup

U15AA Year1 .900, Year 2 .947
WHL Year 1 .862, Year 2 .916, Year 3 .932

AHL breaks this pattern a little until you get into the details. Year 1 was .918, then Year 2 was .907.

However Year 1, his first couple appearances were in relief where he did a good job in relief, then he got a start as Starrett was struggling so they gave him a start in a do or die game where he won a prolonged OT game by the score of 2-1, but in his second start he got lit up for 3 goals on the first 8 shots.

Year 2 was the COVID year where they won their Division championship (there were no league championships that year) and in the team's 4 wins, he was .926 or better. Year 3 his stats improved a bit from Year 2 as well to .911 but the team wasn't strong and he only won 2 of 5 including losing the final three games in a row in a sweep at the hands of a strong Stockton team that had gone 45-16-5-2

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
No excuse to blow game 1 this time. They threw away the last three games already.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, Kings system is predicated on stifling teams and protecting their goaltending. Oilers system is build upon McDavid and its team approach to keep the puck in the opposition's end. Oil finishing top ten in GA is a win. Mantra has been for just league average goaltender and their battery mates have delivered better. The contrast in goaltenders is interesting. Kings bet on two veteran journeymen while the Oilers have had to default to a young, developing guy and a repurposed AHLer.

This series is truly a meeting of opposites in so many ways. All with a standings separation of 5 points.
Yeah, as much as it is opposites the Kings spent a good deal of the season being topten in scoring. Which gradually went down. Its good for the Oilers if the Kings stick with the 1-3-1. My take is they will mix it up with different looks in varied game situations. Funny thing is Kings best D and score protection game is continuing to press games, and NOT to stick back. But the coach doesn't realize that. Like I said with sheer average goaltending (if that) Kings can't be consistently successful just shutting down. Plus they tend not to get the scoring when they do that.

Trouble for Kings is they know even with 3 goal leads they can be toast in minutes. The players realize that I think. The coach pretends like it doesn't happen. They got another reminder. Hawks might have f***ed us over with that as it gives the Kings a last game kick in the pants to be more aware.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Honestly, EDM could have the easiest path to the WCF if they beat the Kings and then say the Preds knock off the Nucks. And even if they get the Nucks they don't scare me. Big, tough teams like Dallas do. Don't get me wrong it would still be difficult. Its playoff hockey but I'm just saying. lol

No excuse to blow game 1 this time. They threw away the last three games already.
IDK, man. Skinner scares the hell out of me. I just expect EDM to come out flying, dominating early and then the Kings only few shots go in. lol.

Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not that it's any surprise, but

200w.gif

and

0938878739cf5e85b645ffe10f2520de.gif
Oh my God, that looks like one of my sons at that age when he filled his shorts.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Grant Fuhr was 19 in his first playoffs and while learning the NHL game and playoffs. Of course more a trial by fire at that age. That was his rookie season.

Conversely Skinner was 24 his first playoff action and had already seen NHL play in multiple seasons. Not like its the same thing.

Skinner is 25. Most goalies have developed their form and peak play by then.

That said when focused Skinner mitigates some of his shortcomings in skill and athleticism. He can be a starter for a contender team. But he has to stop having the off games. Particularly in playoffs.

In anycase I know you weren't the one making it but any comaparison between Skinner and Fuhr is bizarre. They couldn't be more dissimilar. Fuhr typified the athletic acrobat quick reflex goalie. Skinner is as removed from that as possible. Skinner is a blockform goalie. Its the best use of his size and skating and skill level.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly, EDM could have the easiest path to the WCF if they beat the Kings and then say the Preds knock off the Nucks. And even if they get the Nucks they don't scare me. Big, tough teams like Dallas do. Don't get me wrong it would still be difficult. Its playoff hockey but I'm just saying. lol

IDK, man. Skinner scares the hell out of me. I just expect EDM to come out flying, dominating early and then the Kings only few shots go in. lol.
What worries me is whoever wins the Nucks-Preds series it shouldn't be a stiff test for the Oilers. What this means is possible Carbon copy of two years ago where the Oilers saw a tough first round opponent, then a weak 2nd round in Calgary, and thus were unprepared for round 3. Not trying to get ahead of things but should the Oilers advance against Kings 2nd round should be easier. The risk is that the team plays to that level instead of maintaining peak play.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
If its any consolation Ray Ferraro doing the broadcast would be worse than any of these. Surprisingly. He was back to Angry Dad Ray last night just carving an Oilers team that didn't have their 7bext players on ice. Was just an absolute idiot broadcast for the shortbits I watched it. The guy is the worst.

View attachment 855372
Everyone loves Ferraro. I HATED EVERY TIME I HEARD HIS VOICE

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Its a bit odd too because on paper its a best team they've had. But the goaltending, oh the goaltending.

This won't exactly be a Vezina worthy series either way.

That said some of the Oilers have been sitting on it lately and some of the Kings have been too. Both teams will be better than they've been lately. Nice to have playoffs upcoming again. Man I didn't even watch Oilers game tonight. Just tuned into the end and Sam Gagners last shift he's blocking a shot in a 5-1 loss and he loses his stick and plays the rest of the shift without one. He looked devastated at the end. Poor guy. Gets the short end of the stick always and he knows this is his last time even playing with the club. he played well this season when given a chance. Was a sad moment because I'm probably his biggest fan here.

The 1-3-1 won't work against us. I don't know their coach has figured that out. He's like a McLellan clone. Kings don't have anywhere near the type of goaltending to attempt a shut it down approach.
Sam had a pass go up the boards to him in his zone, lost a puck battle and slowly skated to be behind the eventual goal scorer on the 5th goal. Didn't look good for him there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think this team finally has the depth scoring to get them over the hump. With Holloway's recent play, the acquisitions of Perry, Henrique and Carrick, and the improved play of Foegele this year and Brown of late. When's the last time we had to actually debate who to play in the top 9 and who might have to get bumped to the 4th line?

Depth last year vs this year:
Bjugstad, Kostin, Yamamoto, Ryan out
Henrique, Perry, Holloway, Brown/Carrick in.

Vinny and Bouchard both significantly better this year. Hopefully Skinner will hold up better than last year, and if he does this team should roll.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I think this team finally has the depth scoring to get them over the hump. With Holloway's recent play, the acquisitions of Perry, Henrique and Carrick, and the improved play of Foegele this year and Brown of late. When's the last time we had to actually debate who to play in the top 9 and who might have to get bumped to the 4th line?

Depth last year vs this year:
Bjugstad, Kostin, Yamamoto, Ryan out
Henrique, Perry, Holloway, Brown/Carrick in.

Vinny and Bouchard both significantly better this year. Hopefully Skinner will hold up better than last year, and if he does this team should roll.
I like the depth a bit more, it’s not much deeper but I think the new guys are more suitable for the playoffs.

Skinner doesn’t look much better this season compared to last, I really hope he finds a new gear in the playoffs. The defense simply has to step it up from last playoffs, they weren’t good enough and Skinner shouldn’t have to face grade A chances left and right.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers in 5 if we decide to actually win game 1. Not been any good at starting series for some reason, hopefully that shit trend doesn't continue under nob

Reactions: Porkleaker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad