GDT: Round 1 - Game 2 - Colorado Avalanche @ Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 - 8:30pm CDT - CBC - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Looking for less chaos from Pionk... carry the fkn puck out of the zone - this applies to all D - skate a bit before chipping or passing

Establish the 2-1-2... that never happened last game - not easy with McKinnon but the 2nd line shouldn't have been blazing through the neutral zone

Doubt Samberg and Stan see MackInnon much given the line changes...

Forwards can't be cheating and Jets have to pay attention to the puck when they're changing - that cleans up a lot

Need more than 6 minutes from the 4th line
Yes, our depth is our strength. I feel as good with the 4th line out there as I do with anyone out on ice. No need to break from what brought us here, and start tiring out our top 6.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not just foot speed - it's having some weight out there to support the hard push we always get in our zone for extended periods.
Stan held his own in that last game when our D were getting run over - there is no reason to make a change - which is probably why they didn't make one.
And certainly not by Smitty who is likely slower than Stan without a gram of physical in his game - this is not Oct hockey - we need guys in there that can take a pounding and hold their own.

Smitty is not slower than Stan. He and Samberg were a very good pair all year. Tell me, how effective was Stan at clearing the net front?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I fear Big Stan gets exposed tonight but they obviously like his size and p/k abilities (gulp) and may be playing the home games because the Jets have last change and won't play o the road because they don't? o

Possible. He does PK reasonably well. But 3rd pair D usually get about 16 minutes, give or take. Stan got just 10. Samberg was < 13, presumably because of being paired with Stan. We are better defensively if Samberg plays more minutes and on the left side.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
A little further on this subject ........... Both Schmidt and Miller played every game when VGK knocked us out and went on to win the Cup in '18. Each played in all 20 games and scored 7 pts. Of course they are older now, but that is a mix of good and bad. Both have better foot speed than Stanley does.

Washington won the cup in 2018 but yeah that experience is important. The first game wasn’t a good measuring stick for Stanley he hasn’t been that bad for a while but let’s see how he does this game tonight.

I do wish we saw a bit more of Miller I think he has potential but he sat out too much in regular season I dunno about rolling the dice with him for game 2 but can appreciate the point you are making

Schmidt I hope we get to see at some point. I do prefer the Samberg-Schmidt pair as our third pairing

They seem to all have their pros and cons, miller we just haven’t seen enough but I wish we ran him with Snerg or Dillon a few more games. Devils fans seemed ok with him leaving and Stanley has been good thus far, overall; our whole team was mostly off last game I expect a much better showing tonight

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only change I wanted to see was Schmidt in for Stanley - but understand Bones not changing a line-up which won game one.....even though some warts sure did seem to get exposed.

Hope he refuses to do it next game as well (meaning that we win again tonight - in whatever fashion) :)

:laugh: I guess if he is nothing more than a good luck charm, I can live with it as long as it works.

Scares me a lot. Stan's worst aspect is his inability to switch quickly from skating backwards to forwards to keep pace with the advancing player. And that's with regular skaters, not MacKinnon. He'll be two steps back and if Mac doesn't score, will likely get his stick into Mac's hands to draw a penalty.

Now it's on the rest of the squad to tie up the neutral zone to prevent that exact scenario from happening.

Maybe if Jets can just prevent them from coming through the NZ so fast, Stan will have a better chance of keeping up.

In fairness, with most of the team playing as badly as they did it might be unfair to focus on one guy. It was watching Avs turnstile him that got to me.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
In fairness, with most of the team playing as badly as they did it might be unfair to focus on one guy. It was watching Avs turnstile him that got to me.
Our D were not getting beat of the rush - they were backing into our net and letting them set up - at least that's what I saw.
We had a rough night in our zone - it's a result of how we abandoned our game and left our d hanging - that's needs to change more so than bringing Smitty in to replace Stan - that change will not matter one bit if we don't adjust our game.
So I get that we need to call out players to solve all the problems - but it's not individuals that are the issue and the coach and the players know that.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Georgiev getting the start again. Jets really need to capitalize on this. The team, fans, media and management all have to be down on him right now. There is no way he is feeling confident in net. We need to be confident and precise. Play to our structure, no more fire wagon, barn burner hockey.

Lock it down. Keep the Avs stretch passes to a minimum, especially when MacK is on the ice. We need clean and crisp breakouts and just pepper Georgiev as much as possible. Get pucks and players to the net.

I am very confident in Helle's ability to put a bad game behind him. He'll be dialed in for this one. The Jets D needs to be dialed in as well. Let's take game 2, go back to Colorado and finish this.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Schmidt is the fastest defenseman on the roster.

Stanley loses far more than half the board battles he enters, despite his size. He also rarely hits, or at least rarely connects on hits.
i read the first sentence, realized you live in a fantasy world and moved on.

there is no world where Schmidt is a better skater than 44. None.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
:laugh: I guess if he is nothing more than a good luck charm, I can live with it as long as it works.

Maybe if Jets can just prevent them from coming through the NZ so fast, Stan will have a better chance of keeping up.

Either way we have no control over the line up and I tend to believe stars have more control over whether we win or lose then the 6th d or 12th forward.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Either way we have no control over the line up and I tend to believe stars have more control over whether we win or lose then the 6th d or 12th forward.

Depth is important in the playoffs. Rolling your lines confidently keeps everyone rested as much as possible. I think Schmidt gets the start on the road over Stanley. Samberg needs to be on his strong side, especially against what is likely the fastest or 2nd fastest team in the league.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Do I understand that if Georgiev is a disaster, their next best goalie has the flu and they would have to start a guy who didn't cut it with the Moose?
They used an Emergency Recall on Ivan Prosvetov who was once an Arizona Coyote and has 24 games of NHL experience and sent Arvid "Celeste" Holm back to the minors. I can guarantee the Avs don't want to play him. He gives me Jets 1.0 Lindsay Middlebrook vibes.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
He will be super motivated to redeem himself. I don't know if he has it in him to play well at this level or not, but if he has 1 good game in the well we should see it tonight.
On the other hand, Helle always has a great bounce-back game after a poor performance. Even though we won he is probably NOT happy with 6 goals and will be in top form tonight. Helle top form >>>>> Georgiev top form.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It's not just foot speed - it's having some weight out there to support the hard push we always get in our zone for extended periods.
Stan held his own in that last game when our D were getting run over - there is no reason to make a change - which is probably why they didn't make one.
And certainly not by Smitty who is likely slower than Stan without a gram of physical in his game - this is not Oct hockey - we need guys in there that can take a pounding and hold their own.
Ya. Lots of silly, imagined narratives going on. Mac can beat any d in this league, and 64 specifically, isn't that easy to get around.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
On the other hand, Helle always has a great bounce-back game after a poor performance. Even though we won he is probably NOT happy with 6 goals and will be in top form tonight. Helle top form >>>>> Georgiev top form.

Sure - just don't be counting on another 7 goals against Georgiev.

True.
But if we never talk about the things we have no control over, what will we talk about?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Our D were not getting beat of the rush - they were backing into our net and letting them set up - at least that's what I saw.
We had a rough night in our zone - it's a result of how we abandoned our game and left our d hanging - that's needs to change more so than bringing Smitty in to replace Stan - that change will not matter one bit if we don't adjust our game.
So I get that we need to call out players to solve all the problems - but it's not individuals that are the issue and the coach and the players know that.

True - our problems last game were pretty much all about team play. Stan was not the only player who had trouble.

Reactions: LowLefty

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
We only took 2 (I think) in the first game. Hard to stay below that number.
We just can't get scored on 100% of those kills.
And BTW when was the last time we scored a F$#%ing short handed goal?
It feels like that was back in 2023... we are DUE!
3 actually but you're right they need to kill most against of the pp the Avs get. They really get players in front Helle and hope for the best with their point shots, Jets need to get more aggressive in front of the net and force the point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad