GDT: Round 1 - Game 2 - Colorado Avalanche @ Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 - 8:30pm CDT - CBC - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
I sure hope you're right.

An insane counter but do you think there's any world besides injury where Bones starts Brossoit?

I'm not saying we will need to but just an interesting thing to think about
Been thinking a lot about this. I have much respect for Bucky as a goaltender, glad he committed 8 years, his season was Vezina worthy etc. But.. I think you'd have to consider it. IF and that's a big if, he plays less than good enough to help the Jets win. I could be mistaken, but last year against Vegas it seemed like he would let in a goal within the first 4-5 shots each game. You can't be doing that. He really hasn't shown he's a big game playoff goaltender yet, I believe he can and will, but if for some reason his play dips below acceptable standards you'd have to give Bro the nod. He's played too well not to deploy as an option. Whatever feelings that might stir in the young American shouldn't be taken into account. This is win or golf time.

Best comparable example that comes to mind is Les Canadiens starting Halak over Price in 2010.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Wonder how much of a boost he would be in this series. I can't imagine he's cleared at all to play.

Starting Stanley in that last game was OK after the way he has played lately. Doing it again is hard to grasp. He couldn't handle the Avs speed. Pairing him with Samberg was a waste of Samberg.

Edit: Where is Bones' preference for vetiness? Both Schmidt and Miller have way more experience, including PO experience.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Guys what do I do?

Get up at 5am for the 3rd or wake up at a reasonable hour and somehow miraculously avoid all social media, HF and other spoilers and watch the replay in full :help::laugh:

Stay up all night, watch the game, call in tomorrow saying you are having vision problems.

(You don't see yourself going into work that day)

:naughty:

(Seriously, that is a tough one; either way it'd be a sacrifice)

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Can't let the Avs score 6 again in this series and stop taking penalties, winning tonight puts all the pressure on the Avs going back to Colorado.
We only took 2 (I think) in the first game. Hard to stay below that number.
We just can't get scored on 100% of those kills.
And BTW when was the last time we scored a F$#%ing short handed goal?
It feels like that was back in 2023... we are DUE!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn’t like Stan last game much but I’m ok with giving Stan another go

Didn't like many Jets last game but I think Stan was exposed. Maybe he will be better if the other 4 guys on the ice are better. Or maybe he will make the other 4 worse.

Playing Stan means playing Snerg on his off-side, which reduces his effectiveness too.

all right...sorry. I got a little worked up there...

:laugh:

All good. :)

Reactions: JetsFan815

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Didn't like many Jets last game but I think Stan was exposed. Maybe he will be better if the other 4 guys on the ice are better. Or maybe he will make the other 4 worse.

Playing Stan means playing Snerg on his off-side, which reduces his effectiveness too.

I don’t disagree

I have had mixed feelings about that pair. That said, if the Jets keep winning I don’t see a change coming despite how that bottom pair does

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Puck management is huge vs a counter attack team like the Avs. Turnovers at both bluelines and on the breakout are a great way to bleed high danger chances

Pucks out, pucks deep
There was a play in the 3rd where the Avs turned the puck over in our end.
We had the puck with essentially 4 of our players in a line across let's say the ringette line roughly.
They had their 2 D back and the 3 forwards were all behind our group of players.
Lots of space to skate the puck out, technically it could have been a 4 on 2 break.
No one pressuring the puck.
And with that as the scenario we feebly flipped the puck into the neutral zone to their D and they
re-grouped and were back in our end with possession and pressure in seconds.

I'm all for high percentage, low risk play when defending a late lead but the best defence is us possessing the puck in the other teams end and keeping the puck away from them.
Not giving it to them.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
To sum it up - team play, everybody supporting everyone else.

That applies to Ehlers' turnovers. He didn't have much support either.
Well, not exactly. Where you have the puck and what you're supposed to do with it all play into the system.

Situational positioning plays a hand in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Edit: Where is Bones' preference for vetiness? Both Schmidt and Miller have way more experience, including PO experience.
The bias for size outweighs the bias for experience I guess.
Stan seemed to lose most physical confrontations last game.
Just need him to be steady, clear the net, have a good stick to disrupt things and not take those Tyler Myers too tall penalties.

Last edited:

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
We have a vociferous debate about why a guy like Ehlers giveaways are particularily troublesome, and the reason is a quick transition offense like the Avalanche feed off that. I'm not trying to single Nik out (I thought he was pretty good last game), but also things like Pionks terrible pass to Vilardi that led to Nichuskin's goal. I put 80% of the blame on Pionk, but it's not like he had a lot of support either.
Yeah, that Pionk one was a bit weird. Pass was in Gabe's feet a bit, but he could've done a better job corralling it, too. The lack of hustle by the players coming off the bench...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Scoring the first goal would be so huge for this group.
Especially if it's in the first 3 or 4 shots.
Don't let Fourgieve get any confidence.
I'm looking for the 2nd line, Nino and a bottom 4 D-man to score the goals.
We gotta see that 2nd line clicking again.
They were money since they've been put together... time to cash in.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t disagree

I have had mixed feelings about that pair. That said, if the Jets keep winning I don’t see a change coming despite how that bottom pair does

If that win is influencing the coach how is it affecting the players? Are they also just going to run a repeat? I get not changing a winning formula, but that was not a winning formula, in spite of the W. I doubt he is telling them to play the same way again.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yup - when you get it DEEP a couple things happen:

You activate our very strong forecheck which will especially cause problems for the Avs bottom 3 D (I don't think they're that good).
It allows our guys to get set to disrupt the Avs speed through the neutral zone which was the main cause of our issues last game (along with some really sloppy puck management in our zone).
If the Avs aren't attacking our blueline with speed, that lets our D gap up with support and causes some big problems for them.

We have a vociferous debate about why a guy like Ehlers giveaways are particularily troublesome, and the reason is a quick transition offense like the Avalanche feed off that. I'm not trying to single Nik out (I thought he was pretty good last game), but also things like Pionks terrible pass to Vilardi that led to Nichuskin's goal. I put 80% of the blame on Pionk, but it's not like he had a lot of support either.
Pionk's pass was more just awful awareness than anything. Dillion was heading off for a change already and Pionk threw it to his vacated side. Then Pionk decided he should change as well :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad