Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
If we can get him over sooner than expected, do it. Preserving ELCs year is secondary to actually having him at all.

Who knows how circumstances might change in Russia. Secure him while we have the chance.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'm 75% in that he's coming over at some point this year. Whether that is a good thing or not, IDK.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH

Of course its a third party. I don't know why this is such a hard idea to get through to people esp given the Fedotov situation last year. The Flyers/NHL can NOT appear to have any part of Michkov getting out of the KHL. It has to look like Michkov is driving the process through the third party.

I said this after he was drafted, the contract is not the be all end all, there have been examples in the past of KHL players buying out of their contracts or KHL players being loaned to the NHL team.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
If we can get him over sooner than expected, do it. Preserving ELCs year is secondary to actually having him at all.

Who knows how circumstances might change in Russia. Secure him while we have the chance.
Agree. I do not think his second contract will be that paralyzing, as Tortorella will never let him excel to that point

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
honestly, the timeline isn't right for him to come over yet...which totally means he will and the three-headed monster will do nothing more to surround him with better talent

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I mean obviously its a win to get him out of Russia if it happens this year. Concern is around getting the creativity coached out of him and being detrimental to his development.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sure, he could. But there is a log list of very talented players that have struggled to put up good point totals under Torts. I see no reason why this wouldn't in turn effect MM.
If they fire Torts we all know who they will replace him with. The same type of coaches we have had for a couple of decades plus thanks to the senile advisors. Except for Lavy and even he could not adjust once teams figured out what he was doing.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Based off the money left to buy out (speculated in that Twitter thread above.). I would think Michkov could get a loan or his agent can get some money together to buy out his contract given he is guaranteed money with his ELC. It’s a matter of SKA agreeing.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
If he is 'available' in any capacity, via contract buyout, or whatever, the Flyers would never let that slip out of their hands. Make no mistake, whether it's Holmgren, Hextall, or Danny B at the helm, Comcast wants people in the seats.

Whether that is good or bad for his development remains to be seen. He sounded pumped to come here, and he would shake things up for the better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not really fair to suggest that Panarin's point production improved when he left Torts for New York if you're not also going to acknowledged that Panarin's point production increased when he joined Torts after Chicago.

Thats called natural progression as you enter your 3rd NHL season and your Prime. His point production jump from Columbus to New York is because playing for Torts stifles offense. This isnt some unknown phenomenon.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
here's my problem with them bringing him over now

1. our development is ass
2. the rest of the team is meh save a few outliers
3. they will do nothing to wow us in terms of surrounding him with more talent and feel good about themselves and the team being close/closer to a finished product

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad