Prospect Info: Round 1, 22nd overall: Oliver Bonk, RHD, London (OHL)

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
i dont know if anyone else watched London's two preseason games this weekend but I can kinda see what the Flyers saw in him now. Hes really good with the puck hes a really good skater, solid defensively. His partners never had to make up for any wild pinches or mistakes he made, played real solid games. He doesnt let anyone stay in front of his own net without getting bullied he gets real mean, he blocks shots he takes away passing lanes, hes just a really smart player. He was on the ice for all 5 of London's goals for and 0 goals against across 2 games, 1 assist off a point shot that his teammate deflected on the PP where he looked extra good moving the puck. London definitely didnt lean on him for the PK in the games I watched but the way hes able to shut down plays with his stick and get in lanes they probably will as the year goes on. I was really impressed with how he played.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I tihnk Makar, Karlsson and a few other offensive defensemen has distorted expectations for top defensemen.
Only 24 D-men scored 30+ points at ES. 58 scored 1.00+ pp/60 at ES.
55 D-men played 18+ a night at ES [Provorov 19:30 (18), Sanheim 18:01 (54), TDA 17.49 (56)]
34 of those D-men scored at a 1.00+pp/.60 rate.

So a D-man who can give you 18 minutes or more a night at ES, score at a decent but not spectacular rate, and is not a defensive liability is a valuable commodity.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I tihnk Makar, Karlsson and a few other offensive defensemen has distorted expectations for top defensemen.
55 D-men played 18+ a night at ES [Provorov 19:30 (18), Sanheim 18:01 (54), TDA 17.49 (56)]

So a D-man who can give you 18 minutes or more a night at ES, score at a decent but not spectacular rate, and is not a defensive liability is a valuable commodity.
He can handle pucks at the blue line, even if hes not racking up points and hes just keeping plays alive and blocking exits and getting possession back will make him a asset

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

So why do you slam Sanheim?

Oh right. Gotta stand with the team no matter what.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My point with Bonk is simply that when we evaluate him the next few years, do so in context of his skill set and how that fits in the NHL, not relative to some elite ideal.

#22 pick is a success if he becomes a reliable top 4 D-man who can give you 17-18 minutes a night at ES (plus 2-3 PK minutes), scores 20+ points, fills out his body and plays tough smart defense, and skates and passes well enough to be above average in D-zone exits. A bigger, more talented version of Braun would be a pretty good player.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Because he is constantly contradicting himself and often lying. I don't like the dishonesty and double dealing.
The worst are the logical fallacies...

informal-fallacy-examples-definition.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Since Hextall, they've put more emphasis on speed and skill, which became more obvious with Briere, partially b/c he had more draft picks.

The problem with this team is simple, they spent a decade spinning their wheels, slowly eroding the talent base. Some was bad drafting, most was bad decision making in the FO, not rebuilding after the Carter/Richards trade, stopping the rebuild in 2015, not rebuilding in 2018, focusing too much on physicality (and somehow ending up below average in both size and speed as all the big draft picks bombed!

Right now most of their best prospect talent is in the CHL, college or the KHL. years away.
The players in the AHL/NHL bubble are mostly bottom six, third pair D-men types.
Foerster (#23), Brink (#35), Andrae (#53), Zamula and Ersson are the only potential top 6/top 4 players pushing for jobs.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Since Hextall, they've put more emphasis on speed and skill, which became more obvious with Briere, partially b/c he had more draft picks.

The problem with this team is simple, they spent a decade spinning their wheels, slowly eroding the talent base. Some was bad drafting, most was bad decision making in the FO, not rebuilding after the Carter/Richards trade, stopping the rebuild in 2015, not rebuilding in 2018, focusing too much on physicality (and somehow ending up below average in both size and speed as all the big draft picks bombed!

Right now most of their best prospect talent is in the CHL, college or the KHL. years away.
The players in the AHL/NHL bubble are mostly bottom six, third pair D-men types.
Foerster (#23), Brink (#35), Andrae (#53), Zamula and Ersson are the only potential top 6/top 4 players pushing for jobs.
Imagine having to derail every thread with you same bullshit over and over

Reactions: kudymen and Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad