Rotten Otten's 2006 HFNHL Mock Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
1 Nashville Predators - Defenseman Erik Johnson
The big monster Johnson joins fellow towers Coburn, Babchuk and Foster on the Predators future blueline. Good luck to opposing forwards infront of the net. Johnson at this point seems to be the obvious first overall selection and it gives this rebuilding franchise a cornerstone.

2 Colorado Avalanche - Forward Phil Kessel
Avs GM Ville Isopaa goes for the home run pick and nabs the talented Kessel. With Sid the Kid set to suit up for Colorado next year, Isopaa hopes that Kessel can develop into a dynamic scoring winger to compliment Crosby.

3 Toronto Maple Leafs - Forward Jordan Staal
New Leafs GM Abbas Chagani has his work cut out for him in rebuilding the Leafs prospect pool and what better way to start then with a Staal brother. With Eric set to lead the Vancouver Canucks into the playoffs next year and Marc close to stepping in with the Stanley Cup champion Sabres, Jordan will have some heavy footsteps to follow.

4 Dallas Stars - Forward Jonathan Toews
Former AGM Laurens Thie has trouble laying off the Swedish Backstrom, but thanks to painful memories of his former boss and his swedish obsession, Thie goes to college for the young Toews. One of the youngest players available in the draft, Toews is a very solid pick who's potential at the NHL level has been questioned. Look for him to explode offensively next year for North Dakota and embarass his critics.

5 Phoenix Coyotes - Forward Niklas Backstrom
The mysterious new GM takes over and selects the talented swedish forward who has seen his stock rise dramatically over the past few months thanks to a very solid performance for the gold medal winning Swedish team at the WC's. Gives the Coyotes a forward to build around. However watch for this pick to possibly be traded. If Backstrom starts to fall, watch for Tampa Bay GM Martin Sedin to try and trade in to swoop him up.

6 Los Angeles Kings - Forward Peter Mueller
Thrusted into a full out rebuild, the Kings go for the complete player in Peter Mueller. Mueller plays both ways, can burry the puck and has some hidden offensive upside. Consistency issues have been raised, but how could a guy with Jeff Spicolli hair have attitude issues?

7 Pittsburgh Penguins - Forward Michael Frolik
Unfortunately for Doduck, it is unknown who the NHL's Vancouver Canucks will be picking with their first round pick this year, so he decides to take the talented Frolik with his pick. Frolik is a former first overall candidate whos seen his stock fall due to a lack of progression. He's a gamble, but the talent is worth the risk.

8 Atlanta Thrashers - Forward Bryan Little
GM Andrew Taucar will be participating in his first HFNHL draft as well, and decides to select Little of the Barrie Colts. Taucar of Bradford, Ontario has gotten to see lots of Little in nearby Barrie and feels comfortable in his ability to develop into the offensive leader the Thrashers desperately need.

9 New York Rangers - Forward James Sheppard
While rumours swirl about the potential trade of this pick by the Rags, if it's kept look for Gaffney to take a power forward prospect either Sheppard or Okposo. Sheppard is a power skating forward from the QMJHL with consistency issues but the potential is there for a big player.

10 Ottawa Senators(VAN) - Forward Jiri Tlusty
While Derrick Brassard continues to fall, GM Hernandes decides to gamble and go for the scoring winger Tlusty from the Czech Republic. In the past, Hernandes has shown a liking towards gambling on European prospects, therefore Tlusty seems like a perfect fit.

11 Carolina Hurricanes - Forward Kyle Okposo
Canes GM Ong elects to go big for USHL power forward Kyle Okposo. One of the major wildcards of the draft, Okposo has a ton of potential, but will need time and patience. With some solid young NHL players like Ovechkin and Lupul already stepping into Carolina's line up, Ong can afford to be patient and take Okposo. Also look for this pick to be traded, as rumours are swirling that the Canes are looking to move up in the draft.

12 Florida Panthers - Forward Derrick Brassard
Otten ends the talented Q forward's fall and selects him 12th. The selection gives the Panthers a dynamic offensive forward prospect to replace the prior traded Rob Schremp. This will be the second year in a row that Otten doesn't go to the OHL for his first round pick, perhaps the apocolypse should be forecasted.

13 Montreal Canadiens - Goaltender Jonathan Bernier
With a literally bare cupboard of goaltending prospects, and fellow namesake Derrick taken a pick earlier, GM Martin Brassard elects to take a goalie with his first round selection. While a bit earlier then most prognosticators have him going, Brassard feels confident in Bernier's ability to develop into an excellent NHL netminder.

14 Calgary Flames - Defenseman Ty Wishart
With a glut of solid young forwards, Kershaw goes after a talented two way defenseman in Wishart. While Wishart's poor Under 18 performance appears to be an outlier, he is a very solid defensive defenseman with potential as a more then adequate offensive game. Keep an eye on this pick as well, as word is that Kershaw might be looking to trade out of the first round entirely.

15 New York Islanders (TAM) - Forward Chris Stewart
The Islanders and Hasnain Jessa seem to love drafting power wingers and Stewart is no different. Some say he's actually a better player then his brother Anthony.

16 Chicago Blackhawks - Forward Nick Foligno
Dryden Lewis has recently been quoted as saying "I'd never draft another European" and his recent draft selections support this theory. Going off the board a little bit, Lewis takes Foligno a solid two way winger from the OHL who could develop into a very good goalscorer.

17 Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Defenseman Bob Sanguinetti
Looking at prior drafts, Gledhill seems to like going North American or Finnish with his top picks, so this follows in that pattern. Sanguinetti is an extremely talented offensive rearguard, with some defensive issues. Some scouting agencies have even gone on to say recently that he could make a better forward at the NHL level. With JJ and Kronwall ready to contribute soon, Sanguinetti gives the Ducks another solid blueline prospect. Also watch out for Riku Helenius in this spot if Gledhill doesn't have a problem adding yet another goalie to his prospect pool.

18 St. Louis Blues - Defenseman David Fischer
High school defenseman Fischer has been a huge riser after a solid performance at the recent under 18's. GM Quain is another GM with a penchant for drafting North American. Fischer does have a lot of potential though and recent high school defensive selections appear to be working out very well such as Brian Lee and Keith Yandle.

19 Nashville Predators(NYI) - Forward Michael Grabner
Kapfenberger can't pass up on fellow Austrian Grabner who has the potential to be a speedy sniper. He had an outstanding finnish to the WHL season and saw his stock really increase. Issues surrounding his toughness and overall game are present however. If he can fight off the tempation to draft the Austrian, look for a pick to come from off the board at this spot, a reach on a player with real offensive potential similar to Grabner.

20 Calgary Flames(OTT) - Defenseman Nigel Williams
Drafting through the best player available, Kershaw takes another defenseman in Nigel Williams. The hulking Williams has seen his stock drop after a poor under 18's, however he still has mammoth potential which is too hard to pass up.

21 Colorado Avalanche(PHI) - Goaltender Riku Helenius
Isopaa gets his Fin, the ever rising Helenius. Helenius also happens to be the best player available at this spot as some scouting agencies have him inside their top 15 now. Another addition to the solid prospect cupboard of the Avalanche.

22 Minnesota Wild - Forward Patrick Berglund
The Wild go after the tall lanky Swedish forward with their selection. Dockus has been no stranger to Swedish forwards with Robert Nilsson and Niklas Bergfors being among his past selections.

23 Detroit Red Wings - Defenseman Dennis Persson
Another real wild card in the draft, Persson is a talented two way defenseman who has drawn comparisons to Niklas Kronwall at the same age. Niece is happy to add this potentially solid rearguard to his prospect pool.

24 Ottawa Senators(WAS*) - Defenseman Yuri Alexandrov
Alexandrov is the first Russian player taken off the board, and thanks to a new transfer agreement with the HFNHL, he could be a steal. A solid two way defenseman, Alexandrov put in some solid international performances and really opened some eyes. The 4th rated Euro by CSB is finally taken off the board by the Euro hungry Senators GM.

25 Edmonton Oilers - Forward Mike Forney
One of the other major wildcards of the draft, Forney a high school star, caught the eye of the Oilers and Gledhill because of his power forward potential. Patience is required but it might pay off.

26 Calgary Flames(NJD) - Forward Ben Maxwell
With their third selection of the day, the Flames go for the small but talented Maxwell. Offense is there, but the height and overall game and consistency is not. A bit of a risky pick but with 3 picks, you can afford to take a chance.

27 Florida Panthers (SJS*) - Forward Jesse Joensuu
After scouting fellow Assat prospects Rob Hisey and Matt Nickerson, Joensuu caught the eye of the Panthers. He's in the same mold of many recent Finnish draft picks, as a hard working two way forward with untapped offensive potential. Yet again, Otten chooses to stay away from the OHL, what's going on?

28 Columbus Blue Jackets - Forward Cory Emmerton
Once thought to be a legit top 20 pick, Emmerton's stock has fallen lately. He still remains an excellent two way forward, however his offensive potential at the next level remains a mystery. GM Emerson rolls the dice and figures at worst he's got himself a future 3rd line center.

29 St. Louis Blues(BOS) - Forward Cal Clutterbuck
The Blues opt for the bull in the china shop Clutterbuck who is a hard checking, scoring forward of the Oshawa Generals. He's a safe pick as at least a 3rd liner because of his speed and checking alone, but his offensive skills remain underrated.

30 Carolina Hurricanes(BUF) - Forward Artem Anisimov
With the final pick in the first round, Ong and the Hurricanes roll the dice on the tall and lanky Russian forward. He, like Alexandrov has been impressive internationally and is said to have great offensive potential.

Last edited:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Great read, Brock. You guys seem to know all my picks already. Nödl first overall, now Grabner 19th :)

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Fan.At said:
Great read, Brock. You guys seem to know all my picks already. Nödl first overall, now Grabner 19th :)

LOL! How many times have you asked Rich about trading Vanek? ;)

Nice job, Brock. At this point, the only thing that seems to be a sure thing in this draft is that, after about the #12 spot (where you have Brassard going), there are a lot of guys that could just as easily go 50th as 15th. Does someone fall in love with a guy like David Fischer? Does a guy like lunchbox brigade member Mark Mitera drop? And what about the Russians?

Should be interesting...

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
HFNHL Commish said:
LOL! How many times have you asked Rich about trading Vanek? ;)
Ummm... not feeling really guilty here. I have asked once, but i can not be accused of spamming him :propeller

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Brock said:
22 Minnesota Wild - Forward Patrick Berglund
The Wild go after the tall lanky Swedish forward with their selection. Dockus has been no stranger to Swedish forwards with Robert Nilsson and Niklas Bergfors being among his past selections.

SHHHHHH!!!!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Brock said:
14 Calgary Flames - Defenseman Ty Wishart
With a glut of solid young forwards, Kershaw goes after a talented two way defenseman in Wishart. While Wishart's poor Under 18 performance appears to be an outlier, he is a very solid defensive defenseman with potential as a more then adequate offensive game. Keep an eye on this pick as well, as word is that Kershaw might be looking to trade out of the first round entirely.

20 Calgary Flames(OTT) - Defenseman Nigel Williams
Drafting through the best player available, Kershaw takes another defenseman in Nigel Williams. The hulking Williams has seen his stock drop after a poor under 18's, however he still has mammoth potential which is too hard to pass up.

26 Calgary Flames(NJD) - Forward Ben Maxwell
With their third selection of the day, the Flames go for the small but talented Maxwell. Offense is there, but the height and overall game and consistency is not. A bit of a risky pick but with 3 picks, you can afford to take a chance.

HaHa.. I do like mock drafts.. this one was great.. good work Brock.

Anyway - In reply to the above comments:

I do have a glut of young forwards - and young defenceman (I don't think I'll sign Michalek, Eminger or Alberts off my prospect list, and I already had three rookies this past season, Hale, Martin & Hamhuis) - so maybe I shall just take three goalies!

I am looking to move out of the first round - three picks in exchange for a goalie or top two dman - or even better - if anyone in the two to five positions in the first round are interested in trading down - I'll offer, I dunno, my three 1st round this year and a couple of firsts from next year, and heck, even a couple more from the next year - LOL! I have a few... Otherwise, I think I'll just be picking my goalies....

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
2 Colorado Avalanche - Forward Phil Kessel
Avs GM Ville Isopaa goes for the home run pick and nabs the talented Kessel. With Sid the Kid set to suit up for Colorado next year, Isopaa hopes that Kessel can develop into a dynamic scoring winger to compliment Crosby.

Doesn't Crosby's parents and Kessel's parents have something against each other. I guess it will be an interesting christmas party or end of season function. :)

Brock said:
11 Carolina Hurricanes - Forward Kyle Okposo
Canes GM Ong elects to go big for USHL power forward Kyle Okposo. One of the major wildcards of the draft, Okposo has a ton of potential, but will need time and patience. With some solid young NHL players like Ovechkin and Lupul already stepping into Carolina's line up, Ong can afford to be patient and take Okposo. Also look for this pick to be traded, as rumours are swirling that the Canes are looking to move up in the draft.

I had a bit of luck with Backes coming out of the USHL. Can I do it again with Okposo if I do draft him. Although, with Lupul, Zherdev, Wheeler, Backes, Stempniak on the RW, I dunno if Okposo would be the right pick for me. Anyone want to trade? :) If any of the next four players are still on the board, I will have a serious hard look at them.

Brock said:
12 Florida Panthers - Forward Derrick Brassard
Otten ends the talented Q forward's fall and selects him 12th. The selection gives the Panthers a dynamic offensive forward prospect to replace the prior traded Rob Schremp. This will be the second year in a row that Otten doesn't go to the OHL for his first round pick, perhaps the apocolypse should be forecasted.

In true HF un-educated poster form, Brassard is not going to fall this far. :)

Brock said:
16 Chicago Blackhawks - Forward Nick Foligno
Dryden Lewis has recently been quoted as saying "I'd never draft another European" and his recent draft selections support this theory. Going off the board a little bit, Lewis takes Foligno a solid two way winger from the OHL who could develop into a very good goalscorer.

If you want to go off the board. Why not Trevor Lewis?? :teach: Very under-rated or was he ridding the coat tails of Okposo.

Brock said:
30 Carolina Hurricanes(BUF) - Forward Artem Anisimov
With the final pick in the first round, Ong and the Hurricanes roll the dice on the tall and lanky Russian forward. He, like Alexandrov has been impressive internationally and is said to have great offensive potential.

As an Austrian HFNHL GM succinctly said,"I will never draft a Russian." I tend to agree. Although, Ivan Vishnevski from the Q will be the only Russian I might take.

Brock, your drafts are always a good read. Keep up the good work. :bow:

Sean K, Where the heck are you?? Also, where is your draft?? :P

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Donga said:
Brock, your drafts are always a good read. Keep up the good work. :bow:

Sean K, Where the heck are you?? Also, where is your draft?? :P

Sean has been living out the movie Hostel for the past two weeks. He's set to come back tomorrow, hopefully with all fingers in tact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad