WJC: Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A. (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Last night, Galchenyuk tipped in a point shot from Murphy. I hope to hear a lot of that during the WJC this year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's an update on the Noesen situation:

"There's a lot of conversations. Ultimately he has to be eligible for an IIHF tournament. We're working on it as best we can. It takes a lot of communication with a lot of people right now. It's a little bit of uncharted territory for everybody. All I can say is I'm working on it as hard as I can. And I've been happy with the cooperation but it’s a difficult position for everybody and everyone involved is giving it the right diligence right now."

Noesen is participating in camp.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=12321

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why do they always test drive these things on our players? :help:

IIHF upheld a 20 game OHL suspension against Germany's Tom Kuhnackl last year as well. However, Germany didn't appeal because he was apparently going to miss the tournament anyway due to injury so I'm not sure if there's a precendence yet on the situation where an appeal was filed.

I have unfounded hope regarding the appeal and I'm not sure why. After the IIHF ruled against Matteau and USAH's appeal in the U-18 tournament, without merit or rule (until they changed their statutes and bylaws this September to put in place rules that would have made Matteau ineligible), I'm not sure why I'm hopeful that they'll rule against an actual rule this go around.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
IIHF upheld a 20 game OHL suspension against Germany's Tom Kuhnackl last year as well. However, Germany didn't appeal because he was apparently going to miss the tournament anyway due to injury so I'm not sure if there's a precendence yet on the situation where an appeal was filed.

I have unfounded hope regarding the appeal and I'm not sure why. After the IIHF ruled against Matteau and USAH's appeal in the U-18 tournament, without merit or rule (until they changed their statutes and bylaws this September to put in place rules that would have made Matteau ineligible), I'm not sure why I'm hopeful that they'll rule against an actual rule this go around.

I'm with you on the unfounded hope thing. It seems an IIHF precedent that they try something out and then on appeal drop it.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
How does this years team compared to last years? It is hard to follow the CHL here in California. Last year was the most embarrassing thing I've seen since Thomas McCollum's performance in 09.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How does this years team compared to last years? It is hard to follow the CHL here in California. Last year was the most embarrassing thing I've seen since Thomas McCollum's performance in 09.

I think, on paper, it's a much better team for a couple of reasons. One, the defense, led by Jones and Trouba (who was our best d-man last year as an underager), blows last years defense group out of the water. Two, while thhere may have been a more scoring depth in last years forward group, I'll gladly take this year's group with three players (Galchenyuk, Gaudreau, Grimaldi) that are as talented, if not more so, than any forward we've put forth since Kane. The goalie group is strong again, led by Gibson, with two very good backups.

As with most of the US teams of recent note, the big factor is going to be chemistry. When we haven't had it recently, we've been a bit of a mess. I have a good feeling about this team though because I think the defensive group (unless Housley screws up some of the picks) and Gibson should keep this team competitive. And if, like last year, no forward chemistry comes through, I'll be more confident than in this team than some of the past teams with the same issues because of the Three G's up front.

It's going to be a tough tournament though. Lots of good teams this year. But I think our team should definitely be in heavy play for a medal. Anything less is a massive disappointment in my opinion.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think, on paper, it's a much better team for a couple of reasons. One, the defense, led by Jones and Trouba (who was our best d-man last year as an underager), blows last years defense group out of the water. Two, while thhere may have been a more scoring depth in last years forward group, I'll gladly take this year's group with three players (Galchenyuk, Gaudreau, Grimaldi) that are as talented, if not more so, than any forward we've put forth since Kane. The goalie group is strong again, led by Gibson, with two very good backups.

As with most of the US teams of recent note, the big factor is going to be chemistry. When we haven't had it recently, we've been a bit of a mess. I have a good feeling about this team though because I think the defensive group (unless Housley screws up some of the picks) and Gibson should keep this team competitive. And if, like last year, no forward chemistry comes through, I'll be more confident than in this team than some of the past teams with the same issues because of the Three G's up front.

It's going to be a tough tournament though. Lots of good teams this year. But I think our team should definitely be in heavy play for a medal. Anything less is a massive disappointment in my opinion.

Not just Trouba, but before his injury Jones was playing well enough, and was picked by many to be a main cog on that blue as well.

We should have an elite defenseman on the ice just about all the time with those two.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
By the way, does anybody love this or what?

Players representing 13 states make up the Team USA roster: Michigan and Ohio lead the way with four each, followed by Minnesota and Illinois with three. Pennsylvania, Texas, Massachusetts and Wisconsin have a pair of players, while Maine, Florida, New Jersey, New York and California have a single player each.

Ohio is leading the team in terms of representatives! Illinois is tied for second.

Texas, Florida and California. :handclap:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Ohio is leading the team in terms of representatives! Illinois is tied for second.

Yea that is really impressive and it shows how far the game has broadened in the US.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT

yeah i was hopoing Erne would get invited so there would be a CT presence in camp

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
yeah i was hopoing Erne would get invited so there would be a CT presence in camp

Nothing against Connecticut of course, but it would excite me a lot less to see a player from New England than a player from say Florida, Tennessee, Texas or California.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Article on Galchenyuk:

"While he will have a few extra friends and family members on hand, don't think he's getting overly emotional about the chance to play in front of fans from his homeland. To him, his homeland is the United States."

"It doesn't really matter where [the tournament] is played," he said. "Ice is the same, puck is the same everywhere. Doesn't matter. I just want to go there and hopefully win."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647770

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Article on Galchenyuk:

"While he will have a few extra friends and family members on hand, don't think he's getting overly emotional about the chance to play in front of fans from his homeland. To him, his homeland is the United States."

"It doesn't really matter where [the tournament] is played," he said. "Ice is the same, puck is the same everywhere. Doesn't matter. I just want to go there and hopefully win."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647770

Gally has handled this situation with class and has shown signs of being a real leader. I will root hard for this one.

Awesome stuff here.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
WJC on NHL Network

Thu Dec. 27 9:00 AM USA vs. GER ( 8:00 PM - Replay )

Fri Dec. 28 9:00 AM USA vs. RUS ( 8:00 PM - Replay )

Sun Dec. 30 4:30 AM USA vs. CAN (8:00 PM - Replay )

Mon Dec. 31 5:00 AM USA vs. SVK ( 8:00 PM - Replay )

looks like ill be watching the replays lol

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Canadian tuning in.... stupid that Noesen cant play. If he is banned then in my opinion Jonathan Huberdeau should as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad