WC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
You could argue Duchene floats when he doesn't have the puck so keep your Canuck bias against Oilers out of it. The line just doesn't work simply due to styles clashing.

Duchene actually back-checks when he doesn't have the puck.

Right, that's why Team Canada got thrashed by Sweden in the opening game of the 2002 Olympics. Lemieux, Sakic, Kariya, Yzerman, Lindros - players of the highest calibre, but it just didn't click right from the beginning. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The lost because Cujo **** the bed.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
John Tavares is a lock for the 2014 Olympics, there is no need for him to be here. It's also seeing different players in different roles. As well loyalty is important, all 12 forwards who have been here want to play and help this team. If you bring in Tavares you have to remove one of those players from their position, whereas with Schwarz you bring in a young depth guy who'll take any role he's placed in with the limited minutes he'll see. It's about seeing as many players as possible before Olympic camp and seeing how they can handle different situations. Canada isn't like Russia who takes one group of players and away they go, you want to give different players chances on the international stage.

I can think of a reason for him to be there... So we win? World rankings matter

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
What a ****ing joke Canada's national team has become, I'm so tired of this ****

fallsviewafro*

Can someone please enlighten me on how in the **** a roster largely full of superstars and top line talent manages to bow out in the quarter-****ing-finals?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Can someone please enlighten me on how in the **** a roster largely full of superstars and top line talent manages to bow out in the quarter-****ing-finals?

Strange coaching decisions, rule changes, different ice, a lesser amount of preparation, and having none of those "superstars" on their defense.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

Is that for real? Somebody needs to tell that guy it's team Canada and not team Edmonton. Using just shots/60 minutes and not factoring in anything else on top of that.

Ruff obviously made mistakes, maybe Taylor Hall should have got more minutes(I don't think it would change anything, he didn't look as good on the big ice IMO) but crying about it because your an Oilers fan is a tad bit silly, no?

Dude really took this tournament personal, talking about hoping Edmonton doesn't send players over anymore :laugh:

thegreatgasby*

i think after the first period pk got is groove and he was running circle around ppl...i think lindy needed to play him more...he was an aboslute beast...easely the best player on the ice..

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Is that for real? Somebody needs to tell that guy it's team Canada and not team Edmonton. Using just shots/60 minutes and not factoring in anything else on top of that.

Ruff obviously made mistakes, maybe Taylor Hall should have got more minutes(I don't think it would change anything, he didn't look as good on the big ice IMO) but crying about it because your an Oilers fan is a tad bit silly, no?

Dude really took this tournament personal, talking about hoping Edmonton doesn't send players over anymore :laugh:

He's kind of right, whats the point?

If anything it just lessened Halls chances of making the 2014 squad and pissed him off.

Just sucks when the Oilers do a lot to help out Team Canada and they dont reciprocate.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
What a ****ing joke Canada's national team has become, I'm so tired of this ****

Before you jump in front of a bus remember that the only two games that we lost at this tournament were in a shoot out, and we are the defending Olympic champs.

We are hardly a joke.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Before you jump in front of a bus remember that the only two games that we lost at this tournament were in a shoot out, and we are the defending Olympic champs.

We are hardly a joke.
And despite that we're about to take a significant hit in the world rankings. If we have a bad showing at the Olympics then we'll drop even further.

Aceonfire*

Someone needs to send this dude a hunk of cheese big enough to match his level of whine. :facepalm:

Common sense is whining?

How do you think Carolina feels out their star center possibly having a severe injury?

Why send your star players out to a team that is badly managed. Kevin Lowe jokes aside. Hockey Canada is terrible.

Canada not getting a medal at the WJC, and the same again at the WCs?

Right before Sochi?

The Oilers were some of the 1st to accept their invitations to this tournament. And this team would have been worse without them.

But how do you take a player of Hall's caliber and bench him after having such a dominant season in a stingy conference?

This is why Iginla doesn't even bother going...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

We are hardly a joke.

When considering all the talent we put out there and not even having to face the Russians or USA, yes it's pretty embarrassing.

Different game on big ice, players/coaches/managers better learn that now or we'll repeat 2006 again next year.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
And despite that we're about to take a significant hit in the world rankings. If we have a bad showing at the Olympics then we'll drop even further.

The world rankings? Who cares?

I'm a hockey junkie and I couldn't tell you the order of the world rankings if my life depended on it because I put zero weight into those rankings.

Those rankings are far too heavily based on the results of the WHC while more important factors and indicators of hockey superiority aren't even considered.

Things like percentage of players by nationality in the NHL has no bearing, number of players by nationality taken in the NHL draft has no bearing, and there is not enough weight placed on the Olympics, which unlike the WHC, is a best on best. The World Cup if it ever returns will have no bearing on those rankings.

Canada has won 3 out of the last four best on best tournaments, have the highest percentage of players by nationality in the best hockey league in the world and always have the highest percentage of players taken in the draft for the best league in the world. Enough said.

IMO the true world rankings are:

1) Canada
2) USA
3) Sweden
4) Russia
5) Finland
6) Czechs
7) Slovakia
8) Switzerland

Last edited:

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
When considering all the talent we put out there and not even having to face the Russians or USA, yes it's pretty embarrassing.

Different game on big ice, players/coaches/managers better learn that now or we'll repeat 2006 again next year.

The Russians got blown out by the US today, and haven't won a best on best since 1981. Are they an embarrassment as a hockey country?

You're being far too hard on Team Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad