Harrington - Ouellet
Rienhart - Murphy
ex. Corrado

Subban
Binnington
Brossoit

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Bjindaho : Ritchie is on every version of this team. McNeill didn't play physical, turned the puck over, played tentative and really didn't show anything.

The reason people like Tom Wilson is because he is a crash and bang player, who will make something happen when he's on the ice

All that he will make happen is a trip to the penalty box with IIHF rules. You don't bring a player to this calibre of tournament just to hit. Even in the NHL the players who hit alot offer something else to the table besides physicality either solid defensive work and penalty killing or offensive skills to compliment their physical element.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
All that he will make happen is a trip to the penalty box with IIHF rules. You don't bring a player to this calibre of tournament just to hit. Even in the NHL the players who hit alot offer something else to the table besides physicality either solid defensive work and penalty killing or offensive skills to compliment their physical element.

Canadas always brought an intimidating crash and bang style player, and Wilson has some decent skill. He went 16th overall, he can skate a regular fourth line shift and hit everything in sight.

When Canada was winning 5 golds in a row they embraced their physical dominance over the other countries and a big part of their game was intimidation to go with their skill. Tootoo played, Della Rovere played, Wilson can play as well.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I have to agree, we can't afford to have someone whose only attribute is being physical. Especially if it means leaving a more talented player behind

I think Wilson does bring more than just physicality though

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Canadas always brought an intimidating crash and bang style player, and Wilson has some decent skill. He went 16th overall, he can skate a regular fourth line shift and hit everything in sight.

When Canada was winning 5 golds in a row they embraced their physical dominance over the other countries and a big part of their game was intimidation to go with their skill. Tootoo played, Della Rovere played, Wilson can play as well.

Della Rovere was only somewhat effective in his second tournament when he toned down his physical play just to the point of not crossing the line and showed decent skill. In the run of 5 there was a pest on the team who could also play, but bruisers like Wilson are not really effective in this setting imo. Use his spot for a skilled player or two way player.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I have to agree, we can't afford to have someone whose only attribute is being physical. Especially if it means leaving a more talented player behind

We're not talking about someone who brings "just" physicality, though, like you said. Sure, the guy is big and physical, but he's also a 1st round draft pick whose PPG in the OHL right now is right in line with other wingers like Puempel and Boucher. He's, um, slightly more than adequate at using offense to supplement his defense and is a really hard worker. I wouldn't call him a "lock", but I also wouldn't call him "out of place".

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

I like Wilson, and thought he and Leivo were both very effective in the SSS games for example, and could be again in the WJC... but... with the depth of this team, and also the size of some of the skill players as well... plus having guys like Jenner and Ritchie who can play top roles up front and bring clean power games too... I think I would be a little surprised if Wilson made it. :dunno:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We're not talking about someone who brings "just" physicality, though, like you said. Sure, the guy is big and physical, but he's also a 1st round draft pick whose PPG in the OHL right now is right in line with other wingers like Puempel and Boucher. He's, um, slightly more than adequate at using offense to supplement his defense and is a really hard worker. I wouldn't call him a "lock", but I also wouldn't call him "out of place".

person above me explained it perfectly, it's not that I think he's out of place, I just think with our depth that he shouldn't be considered a lock- like you said. I would be fine if he does make it, physicality will always make an impact, but hopefully it isn't undiciplined physicality

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Guys like Wilson have always had an impact at this tournament for Canada. He doesn't seem overly hot headed either, as someone like Jenner can be.(and Jenner is a lock)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
All cuts made Thursday

Ok. Thanks. Some mixed opinions on when first cuts were gonna be made. someone said they heard bob mckenzie say it was this morning.

But i guess thats good casue Poulliot gets to stay another day ^^

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
From what I heard on TSN, my boy Danault was great yesterday. McKenzie said he was hustling all night long and that he created a lot of chances while playing his usual sound defensive game. I love that guy, he makes me proud to be a Tigres fan!

Analyzer*

Wilson brings more than physicality. He can score, but everyone will love him like they do with all the other players than drill people into the boards.

He might even get some pp time. Front of the net type deal. He's a big lad and will be hard to move.

Would be sick if Hudon does in fact make the team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just a few thoughts:

The top line shouldn't have three players who are primarily playmakers. The ridiculousness of Hudon, a guy tailor made for playing with someone like Jenner or Danault, playing on a top two line also needs to stop. MacKinnon is clearly the superior player, especially in a role mainly requiring offence.

Huberdeau Nugent-Hopkins Rattie
MacKinnon Strome Scheifele

Gives each top line nice balance.

I am against having two lines built in the traditional bottom 6 sense. Teams usually have a bottom six (in league play) because of limited talent. This is not an issue here, so Canada should look to maximize its talent advantage by putting the best players out there, not the players who best suit traditional bottom 6 roles.

I don't see the sense of having three, or even two, of guys like Ritchie, Groavac and Wilson on the team. Their size and physicality is made much less significant by international ice and referees. I fear that they would be given a litany of penalties just for being big guys who hit.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Scratches for Canada tonight. For me, this would indicate an edge for being on the final roster.

RNH
Ritchie
Hudon
Huberdeau
Jenner
Strome
Scheifele
Danault
Hamilton
Harrington
Rielly
Ouellet

Brett Ritchie must be pumped to be scratched

Also, all 4 goalies will play. Two for Canada, two for CIS

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
The different between Della Rovere and Ritchie is that he can actually play the game, play both ends, play physically and score and could potentially be one of the hottest players leading into the tournament. In canada was smart, they would definitely pick Ritchie.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Scratches for Canada tonight. For me, this would indicate an edge for being on the final roster.

RNH
Ritchie
Hudon
Huberdeau
Jenner
Strome
Scheifele
Danault
Hamilton
Harrington
Rielly
Ouellet

Brett Ritchie must be pumped to be scratched

Also, all 4 goalies will play. Two for Canada, two for CIS

Definitely seems like the guys that are scratched are pretty much locks to make it. Except for Ouellet who is injured (but he's also likely to make it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad