WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I would be very happy if this team were to win bronze. However, I'm doubting even that will be possible with such weak goaltending. It hurts to think of all the good goalies who turned the team down.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I would be very happy if this team were to win bronze. However, I'm doubting even that will be possible with such weak goaltending. It hurts to think of all the good goalies who turned the team down.
:shakehead

Just out of curiosity what do you consider good goaltending? 4 shutouts or something? How is winning every game he's played weak goaltending. Check out the guy's stats. He's saved multiple breakaways, won in a shootout, kept the team in the game multiple times when the team has hung him out to dry and has given up maybe 2-3 bad goals all tournament.

If you have a concern, maybe it's at the players who can't seem to finish with 50 odd shots on net or players who allow multiple breakaways, odd man rushes and leaving the opposition all alone in quality scoring spaces.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
:shakehead

Just out of curiosity what do you consider good goaltending? 4 shutouts or something? How is winning every game he's played weak goaltending. Check out the guy's stats. He's saved multiple breakaways, won in a shootout, kept the team in the game multiple times when the team has hung him out to dry and has given up maybe 2-3 bad goals all tournament.

If you have a concern, maybe it's at the players who can't seem to finish with 50 odd shots on net or players who allow multiple breakaways, odd man rushes and leaving the opposition all alone in quality scoring spaces.

I think this person is equating weak to inexperience. Reimer has played well for the most part but didn't have his best game last against the US, but this kid is a warrior.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is getting pathetic. If Bernier or Dubnyk are in net are the same "weak goaltending" comments going to come out if they give up 3 goals in a game?? If I had to bet I would say no. Non-Leaf fans have to just realize Reimer is legit and is Canada's number 1 goalie.

Reimer has played great so far. He has a .920 SV% and really kept them in the Swiss game.. Keep it up Reims!

vezna*

after bernier's 3rd period collapse, i think we can all agree reimer can keep the job.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi

Washington is out. Alzner defensive left D is available to help the goalie. He's healthy.
Would he be better than any of the current D?
Defense
2 Luke Schenn R 6'2 229 11/02/1989 Saskatoon, Sask. Toronto (NHL)
3 Dion Phaneuf - A L 6'3 217 04/10/1985 Edmonton, Alta. Toronto (NHL)
7 Mario Scalzo L 5'10 190 11/11/1984 St-Hubert, Que. Mannheim Eagles (DEL)
8 Brent Burns R 6'4 200 03/09/1985 Ajax, Ont. Minnesota (NHL)
17 Marc-André Gragnani L 6'2 201 03/11/1987 Île-Bizard, Que. Buffalo (NHL)
27 Alex Pietrangelo R 6'3 211 01/18/1990 King City, Ont. St. Louis (NHL)
28 Carlo Colaiacovo R 6'1 205 01/23/1983 Toronto, Ont. St. Louis (NHL)
33 Marc Methot L 6'3 222 06/21/1985 Ottawa, Ont. Columbus (NHL)
Forwards

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Bernier is starting Vs Sweden, confirmed. They said they want to give bernier another start before choosing between him and Reimer.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Canada national team tending is taking on a Philadelphia flyer flavor in this tourney and in the last couple of world juniors.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Bernier is starting Vs Sweden, confirmed. They said they want to give bernier another start before choosing between him and Reimer.
Makes sense. Tough to compare a guy who's played multiple games for them against someone who has played one. At least with 2 games for Bernier have a better ability to compare.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I hope Reimer wins it then brings Canada to gold. It would be great for his confidence for the future.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Is anyone else gonna join the team or is it too late?

We are going with who we have. The team still hasn't figured out how to play on the big ice, at least to their full potential. The game against Sweden will come at a good time and should help them prepare for the elimination games. It would not be the end of the world if we lost this game, the team seems a little complacent right now.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
We could add another skater, but there is really no point. The only player I would be really interested in adding anyways Darren Helm for his speed, but even assuming Detroit loses tonight, it would take 2-3 days for him to play for Canada

Our roster is good enough to win on paper, so you have to roll with it

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This makes no sense whatsoever. Canada has done very well at this tournament, in the early 2000's we were winning gold like it was going out of style. We won 3 gold medals in a span of 5 years. And other than last year when of course most of the players didn't accept invites because they already played in the Olympics and had a long season to begin with, we've been in the Gold Medal game the previous two years. Not sure where you get the idea we do so bad in this tournament.

I just have a bad memory. I guess it just always feels like we lose this tournament.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Gotta go with Bernier. As much as I want to see Reimer in net Bernier had a great game today. Gotta roll with it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It'll be interesting to see what they do for the game against Russia. Bernier got player of the game for Canada today against a team that we very well could be facing in the finals.

Thoughts? (I personally don't think it makes a difference who we use.)

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Did anyone watch much of Brent Burns this season in Minnesota? He has looked absolutely terrible for Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad