WC: Roster Talk '11 – Norway

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Sondre Olden will not make the team. His season has been preety underwhelming and he has mainly played junior-hockey in Sweden this year. There are other young forwards like Mats Rosselli Olsen-91 (VÃ¥lerenga), Andreas Martinsen-90 (Lillehammer) and Tommy Kristiansen-89 (Sparta Sarpsborg) that are rated higher than him by the coaching staff.

Tollefsen will play, hopefully Thoresen will play as well because we really need him. He has said that he will decide after the KHL playoffs are finished. His team Salavat Yulayev are up by 3-0 in the finals now and Patrick scored the gw-goal in a 3-2 win earlier today.

Team Norway has played 4 games so far in preporation for the WC.

Norway-Czech Republic 1-2
1-0 Mats Frøshaug (Daniel Sørvik)

Norway-Czech Republic 1-2
1-1 Lars Løkken Østli (Mats Rosselli Olsen, Anders Fredriksen)

Denmark-Norway 1-4
1-1 Mats Rosselli Olsen (Mats Larsen Mostue, Mads Hansen)
1-2 Alexander Bonsaksen (Martin B Huse, Ken A Olimb)
1-3 Mads Hansen (Eeriki Koivu)
1-4 Erik Follestad (Martin Røymark)

Denmark-Norway 4-2
2-1 Mads Hansen (Martin Røymark, Mats Rosselli Olsen)
3-2 Lars Erik Hesbråthen (Andreas Martinsen, Mats Frøshaug)

The team will now travel to Russia and play two games against Russia in St. Petersburg this weekend.

The team selected for the Russia Trip:

PÃ¥l Grotnes (Stjernen)
Lars Haugen (Manglerud Star)
Robert Hestman (Storhamar)

Lars Løkken Østli (Storhamar)
Ole Kristian Tollefsen (Modo) Swe
Eerikki Koivu (Lørenskog)
Juha Kaunismaki (Stavanger)
Alexander Bonsaksen (Modo) Swe
Stefan Espeland (Sundsvall) Swe-2
Brede Czisar (VÃ¥lerenga)
Henrik Solberg (Stavanger)
Erik Follestad (Frisk Asker)

Morten Ask (VÃ¥lerenga)
Martin Røymark (Timrå) Swe
Ken Andre Olimb (Leksand) Swe-2
Anders Fredriksen (Lørenskog)
Mats Frøshaug (Lørenskog)
Lars Erik Spets (Lørenskog)
Peter Lorentzen (Stavanger)
Mads Hansen (Brynas) Swe
Kristian Forsberg (Modo) Swe
Tommy Kristiansen (Sparta Sarpsborg)
Martin Laumann Ylven (Linkøping) Swe
Andreas Martinsen (Lillehammer)
Mats Rosselli Olsen (VÃ¥lerenga)

Before the WC is starting Team Norway will add a few more players.

Forwards:
Anders Bastiansen (Farjestad) Swe
Marius Holtet (Farjestad) Swe
Mathis Olimb (Rockford/Chicago) USA
Patrick Thoresen (Salavat) Rus
Per Åge Skrøder (Modo) Swe

Goalie:
Lars Volden (Espoo Blues) Fin

Mats Zuccarello (NY Rangers) will be available if the Rangers gets knocked out of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Jonas Holøs (Colorado) will play AHL-playoffs for Lake Erie and will only be available if his team gets knocked out during the first couple of rounds.

Tore Vikingstad (Hannover) Ger, Mats Trygg (Hamburg) Ger, and Tommy Jacobsen (Lørenskog) has declined their invitations. The coaching staff are still hoping to persuade Mats Trygg and Tommy Jacobsen to play. They would both be very important for this team, especially now that Holøs is playing in NA. Our D is very thin and we need all the experienced players we can get.

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Well. Lacking a lot of experienced d-men. But, at least the new ones can handle their sticks.

Positive is two players(Bastiansen and Holtet) became SEL-champions a couple of days ago, and Thoresen became KHL-champion today.

And, we don't have Vikingstad anymore:cry:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It'll be a tough tournament this year for us I guess with a few experienced stalwarts gone. Still, though we can't count on Tommy Jakobsen playing forever.

Interesting though that many of the roster players now actually play in Norway instead of various European leagues. Not sure if that's a good sign.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Norway played two games in St. Petersburg against Russia this weekend.

Russia-Norway 3-3 (4-3 after SO)
0-1 Martin Ylven (Peter Lorentzen)
2-2 Morten Ask (Lars Erik Spets)
3-3 Mads Hansen (Tommy Kristiansen, Lars Løkken Østli)

Russia-Norway 6-2
1-1 Lars Erik Spets (Anders Fredriksen)
1-2 Anders Fredriksen (Mats Frøshaug)

Norway played a very good game on saturday and managed to get a good result. I was very impressed with how the young Norwegian D-men managed to skate with the Russians. In todays game Norway looked tired and the Russians also played a better game than yesterday. I think that Tommy Kristiansen from Sparta Sarpsborg may have played himself into the squad for Slovakia in the games against Russia. He was also very impressive in the playoffs in Norway this year. He will probably play in the SEL next year, it will be interesting to follow him in the years to come.

The team will travel to Riga for two final warm up games against Latvia before the championships start. I expect Mathis Olimb, Marius Holtet, Per Åge Skrøder, Anders Bastiansen and Lars Volden to join the team now. Patrick Thoresen will probably get a few days off and then join the team before the WC. It`s also starting to look alot like Mats Zuccarello wil be available for the tournament. Our offense is strating to look really strong now and when the championships start I think that the only forward playing in our domestic league that will still be in the squad is Morten Ask, Lars Erik Spets and maybe Tommy Kristiansen or Andreas Martinsen. And all of those guys exept Spets will probably be playing outside of Norway next season.

On defense we are sort of going trough a generational change with some young guys comming in and replacing veterans like Tommy Jacobsen and Mats Trygg. We rely heavily on Tollefsen wich is also the new captain of Team Norway. I expect a guy like Stefan Espeland to step up this year, he has been great in the warm up games and has also had a good season in Sweden.

Jocke

Feb 9, 2010
Bastiansen and Holtet were great in SEL playoffs this year. Expecting them to perform well in the WC.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I'm just happy if we don't get relegated. We miss our three best players: Holøs, Thoresen and Zucca. I hope that we can give Sweden hell in our opening game..

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Without Zucca, Thoresen and Holøs I think we'll be very happy with not getting relegated. The team look awfully weak on paper but hopefully they can surprise some of us!

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I think we are really going to struggle to beat Austria. Usually the team need a lot of chances to score, and now without Zuccarello(injured), Vikingstad(retired from national team) and Thoresen(denied to come play) it ain't going to be easier.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Well atleast Holøs is playing. He is going to be extremely important for this team. Offensively we have to rely on guys like Bastiansen, Olimb and Skrøder.

I think the biggest questionmark for this team is goaltending, Grotnes has been horrible this season and Volden is injured.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Well atleast Holøs is playing. He is going to be extremely important for this team. Offensively we have to rely on guys like Bastiansen, Olimb and Skrøder.

I think the biggest questionmark for this team is goaltending, Grotnes has been horrible this season and Volden is injured.

But...but...Grotnes got fantastic reputation in America:sarcasm:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Grotnes went down with a groin injury today

pure strategy. playing his mental games with the opponent. and even if, we all know that greatn...err...grotnes could play with only one arm and one leg and would still steal games for norway.

i'm not worried at all. :cheers:

observerspb*

I saw you beat Canada in 2000. I saw you fighting with Russia. And now I saw you with Sweden. Well done.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
I know, it`s kind of annoying that PÃ¥l effing Grotnes is one of the most famous Norwegian players around the hockeyworld. I hope he is better at his daytime job than he is as a goalie.

Well Grotnes plays for the weakest team in Norway and played well in wc 2010 with 92% save. Im glad Haugen did so well vs Sweden and hope he continue to improve :) but without pål we wouldnt be in this wc. Smith and Lysenstøen failed big time when they got the chance..... anyways thumbs up for Haugen :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad