Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part IX Poppa Bear Doin' Thangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Buffalo needs to sign Peterson in 2016 otherwise he runs the risk of doing the 30 day clock and leaving as a UFA. having 2 goalies signed for 3 years will make him say screw tis, ill got to UFA.

If Murray signs O'connor this year Peterson probably does that anyway. I think it will be a concern with a few of our unsigned prospects the next couple of seasons. All it takes is them peaking at the right time to create free market interest, and our prospect pool could push them towards a less crowded opportunity elsewhere.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Have to wonder if the CBA addresses this leverage point the NCAA players seem to have

Why? Junior and Euros have the same leverage. Don't sign with the team that drafts you, get redrafted and don't sign then be a free agent. The NCAA kids just don't go through a redraft but the number of years they're property of a specific team is relatively the same.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Jumbo Joe wants to leave San Jose I'd offer Grigs and 31/32 for him. While he is turning 36 he should have 3-4 more years left as a top 6 forward and would get us to the playoffs by 16-17. If we can land Eichel, a top 6 of Eichel,Thornton,Kane ,Reinhart,Girgs and Moulson/Ennis could have us making noise in a season or two

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If Jumbo Joe wants to leave San Jose I'd offer Grigs and 31/32 for him. While he is turning 36 he should have 3-4 more years left as a top 6 forward and would get us to the playoffs by 16-17. If we can land Eichel, a top 6 of Eichel,Thornton,Kane ,Reinhart,Girgs and Moulson/Ennis could have us making noise in a season or two

No interest in Thornton on this team, especially at that price. Nevermind the idea he'd waive his NTC specifically to come here is preposterous. He refuses to waive it or he'd already be gone.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Our 2nd and Grigs is nothing for a guy who is a future hofer and still a 70 point top line center. He would really shelter Eichel and Reinhart and allow one or both to start out at wing. I don't think he would refuse to come here if we make some moves in the off season. Sign Niemi,a top 6 winger and a top 9 two way forward and with Thornton this team is contending for playoffs next season. Joe Thornton here would be a real nice move actually. I have no faith in Grigs ever amounting to anything and #31 is hardly an immovable piece. Jumbo Joe is still a top 10-12 center and a 70+ point guy.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Our 2nd and Grigs is nothing for a guy who is a future hofer and still a 70 point top line center. He would really shelter Eichel and Reinhart and allow one or both to start out at wing. I don't think he would refuse to come here if we make some moves in the off season. Sign Niemi,a top 6 winger and a top 9 two way forward and with Thornton this team is contending for playoffs next season. Joe Thornton here would be a real nice move actually. I have no faith in Grigs ever amounting to anything and #31 is hardly an immovable piece. Jumbo Joe is still a top 10-12 center and a 70+ point guy.

An extremely high 2nd and Grigorenko for a guy who turns 36 in July. Why not package Grigorenko, a pick, and whatever else for a guy who's actually going to be here for a while? That's what a team in our position should be considering. And so far he has refused to consider waiving to play anywhere because he wants to retire in San Jose. If he ever does waive I doubt a garbage team is what he's waiving for as opposed to a team that actually has a shot at a championship.

This notion some have of flipping a switch and making the playoffs next season is not particularly realistic or desirable. The team is too young and too bad.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
While he is turning 36 he should have 3-4 more years left as a top 6 forward

That's what was said about Gionta....

Nevermind the idea he'd waive his NTC specifically to come here is preposterous. He refuses to waive it or he'd already be gone.

Everytime Thornton is brought up in rumors, it's noted how much he loves life in San Jose and won't move his family. Reports yesterday even pointed out that he intends to outlast Wilson and, given the inability of the overall roster to ever live up to expectations, Wilson is on thin ice and may be cut loose. With Thornton nearing the end of his career, I can't see him ever considering joining a young, rebuilding roster that won't be a Cup contender anytime soon.

Why not package Grigorenko, a pick, and whatever else for a guy who's actually going to be here for a while? That's what a team in our position should be considering.

Hence, why the reports popped from LeBrun, Dreger and McKenzie about Murray pursuing O'Reilly.....;)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That's what was said about Gionta....

That's not true. No one had any illusions about Gionta and he is nothing like Thornton. Thornton is still putting up 70+ point seasons including this year. Gionta has scored 47+ points three times in his career and none since 2008-2009. Gionta was never even close to Thorntons level at any point of their careers. Thornton may be turning 36 but as you can see this year he can still put up 70+ points. Since his game relys on smarts and playmaking ability much more then raw physical talent there is no reason Jumbo Joe can't be putting up 60-70 points a season for another 3-4 years.

And I doubt Colorado would accept Grigorenko and #31 for RoR. They are really overvaluing him and are going to want Zads or Risto + a 1st, if not more. Absolutely ridiculous price for RoR.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

That is way too much for a player 35+....

If Murray signs O'connor this year Peterson probably does that anyway. I think it will be a concern with a few of our unsigned prospects the next couple of seasons. All it takes is them peaking at the right time to create free market interest, and our prospect pool could push them towards a less crowded opportunity elsewhere.

That is a very big if.......yes he signs OConner, Peterson gets traded.

If buffalo becomes pretty set in terms of top 9 players for the foreseeable future some prospect drafted will not bother with buffalo because they have no real future with the team

I think this layer a part with Lemieux. He likely felt he had no chance to get a top 6 position.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
That is way too much for a player 35+....

That is a very big if.......yes he signs OConner, Peterson gets traded.

If buffalo becomes pretty set in terms of top 9 players for the foreseeable future some prospect drafted will not bother with buffalo because they have no real future with the team

I think this layer a part with Lemieux. He likely felt he had no chance to get a top 6 position.

You come up with some ridiculous theories. Lemieux was one of our only LWs in our pipeline when he was traded. We have a glut of RWs (Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Compher) but virtually no LWs. If Lemieux didn't have a chance at a top-6 spot in Buffalo, where would he have that shot? (Ignoring outdated notions of "top-6.")

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

Moulson, Foligno, Deslauriers, Carrier, Larsson, Hodgson, Stewart all ahead of him at the time of the trade. Even less opportunity going forward as most of them have room to grow as players still. Kane & Moulson are locked in to the top 6 for a couple years at least, so Foligno & Deslauriers are the vulnerable ones/ trade bait.

Makes me think that our right D will have an issue in a few years. Bogo, Pysyk & Risto are all top 4 guys, eventually one of them will want off the 3rd pairing.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Moulson, Foligno, Deslauriers, Carrier, Larsson, Hodgson, Stewart all ahead of him at the time of the trade. Even less opportunity going forward as most of them have room to grow as players still. Kane & Moulson are locked in to the top 6 for a couple years at least, so Foligno & Deslauriers are the vulnerable ones/ trade bait.

Makes me think that our right D will have an issue in a few years. Bogo, Pysyk & Risto are all top 4 guys, eventually one of them will want off the 3rd pairing.
Can Pysyk play on the left?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Can Pysyk play on the left?

He hasn't yet, but if any of our righties can, I think it's him. It'd be a tough adjustment, probably, given how much he relies on his stick defensively, but I'd feel more confident in moving him to his offside than Bogo or Risto.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He hasn't yet, but if any of our righties can, I think it's him. It'd be a tough adjustment, probably, given how much he relies on his stick defensively, but I'd feel more confident in moving him to his offside than Bogo or Risto.

I'm interested in how McCabe does next year. I think he's got top 4 potential. It'd push Pysyk to the third pair, but depth would be awesome.

McCabe - Ristolainen
Zadorov - Bogosian
xxx - Pysyk

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm interested in how McCabe does next year. I think he's got top 4 potential. It'd push Pysyk to the third pair, but depth would be awesome.

McCabe - Ristolainen
Zadorov - Bogosian
xxx - Pysyk

Not to argue McCabe's upside but, I think right now and probably to start next season, Pysyk is more sound defensively and not a detriment offensively at all. It would be difficult for McCabe to bump Pysyk down unless he improves his d game and shows stronger decision making and offensive output. Just my take. I like McCabe and think he can become a future leader on the Sabres but he's probably got some work to do. I do like the Bogo - Zad pair though.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not to argue McCabe's upside but, I think right now and probably to start next season, Pysyk is more sound defensively and not a detriment offensively at all. It would be difficult for McCabe to bump Pysyk down unless he improves his d game and shows stronger decision making and offensive output. Just my take. I like McCabe and think he can become a future leader on the Sabres but he's probably got some work to do. I do like the Bogo - Zad pair though.

Agreed. That line up was more future than next season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

McCabe - Ristolainen
Zadorov - Bogosian
xxx - Pysyk

I wouldn't be surprised if McCabe passes Zads in the short term. Zads is very raw and has a lot of work ahead of him to get near the player we are hoping for. Long run Zads has the higher ceiling of the two. But I see McCabe getting near his quicker. And is the more likely of the two to reach their ceiling.

As for the pairs. Not bad ideas. But I think Murray is going to add at least one more option to the mix via trade or UFA

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I wouldn't be surprised if McCabe passes Zads in the short term. Zads is very raw and has a lot of work ahead of him to get near the player we are hoping for. Long run Zads has the higher ceiling of the two. But I see McCabe getting near his quicker. And is the more likely of the two to reach their ceiling.

As for the pairs. Not bad ideas. But I think Murray is going to add at least one more option to the mix via trade or UFA

I'm hoping McCabe grows into an offensive role for the Sabres.

For the long term, I'd like Murray to add an offensive defensemen with the second first rounder this year.

ZeroPT*

I'm hoping McCabe grows into an offensive role for the Sabres.

For the long term, I'd like Murray to add an offensive defensemen with the second first rounder this year.
I'd be shocked if we have that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad