Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
We haven't seen this sort of Sabre performance since Drew Stafford in 2010-2011.
It's on another level, TBH. Stafford was just riding shooting percentage, while Kane's impact on shots/chances/xG has all been wildly more positive than any other year. Even his defensive metrics in isolation have been shockingly not-trash.

Thing is, he's never improved his linemates to this degree, so a lot of this year over year progression has to be tied to role. It's literally that or he finally became the player we traded for. And if we have a spot in the lineup that can do this for a player, why is it going to our third or fourth most effective forward over the past two seasons?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Of the Kane trades, I like the Calgary options the best. Adding Adam Fox or Rasmus Andersson would be a steal.

Would love to get Larsson out of Anaheim but that isn't happening.

Dunn from STL would also be a great addition.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Trying to be cautiously optimistic...but with an undrafted Smith over a point per game and currently 5th in the AHL in scoring. Olofsson a 7th round pick a PPG in the SHL currently 11th in scoring with a wicked shot. Guhle a rookie 2nd rounder that is a good skater/puck moving D that currently has 5g/10 assists in 25 GP.This is exactly what the Sabres needed, some hits outside of the 1st round.

If the Sabres are at all serious about winning I think those aforementioned players should be on the team to start next year or at the very least get an extended look. Smith is 23, Olofsson is 22 and needs to be signed, and Guhle is a huge upgrade over most of our D already and is getting extra time with the coaches this season apparently..And I mean an actual callup/chance to stick with the team. Not this bullshit Housley putting all our callups on the 4th line with Nolan and Larsson 7 minutes a game. When Guentzel got his chance he was playing with Crosby (since they like to borrow from the Pittsburgh playbook). How is calling up players to play 7 minutes with trash going to boost their confidence, improve their game, or prove anything for that matter?

Add in potentially Dahlin who should be NHL ready out of the gates or Boqvist/Mittelstadt who might need a year in the AHL ..and I like the way this team is looking. At least compared to the last 5 years lol. As a side note the Leafs actually have had more top 8 picks than the Sabres the last 10 years..maybe this years draft and prospects turning the corner rights this ship.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Wonder what the cost would be for Botterill to dip into the Baby Pens and pry out McGuire?

He seems to be the lost one of the group with Murray as the number 1, Jarry looking like a solid back-up, DeSmith playing well in the minors and Gustavsson coming over soon along with D'Orio in Juniors.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It's on another level, TBH. Stafford was just riding shooting percentage, while Kane's impact on shots/chances/xG has all been wildly more positive than any other year. Even his defensive metrics in isolation have been shockingly not-trash.

Thing is, he's never improved his linemates to this degree, so a lot of this year over year progression has to be tied to role. It's literally that or he finally became the player we traded for. And if we have a spot in the lineup that can do this for a player, why is it going to our third or fourth most effective forward over the past two seasons?

No. He’s played exclusively with Eichel and isn’t improving Eichels play at all. He’s undermined it. One game without the duo and the team looked better already with sustained pressure with the puck. This wasn’t just Ottawa, this will continue.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
No. He’s played exclusively with Eichel and isn’t improving Eichels play at all. He’s undermined it. One game without the duo and the team looked better already with sustained pressure with the puck. This wasn’t just Ottawa, this will continue.
Advanced stats say Kane is helping Eichel, but this is why advanced stats shouldn't be used as an argument.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Advanced stats say Kane is helping Eichel, but this is why advanced stats shouldn't be used as an argument.

Only poorly controlled advanced stats do. Eichels numbers are better away from Kane. Kane’s numbers are worse away from Eichel. Pointing out points earned, but not taking out secondary assists, is just poor advanced statsing

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Only poorly controlled advanced stats do. Eichels numbers are better away from Kane. Kane’s numbers are worse away from Eichel. Pointing out points earned, but not taking out secondary assists, is just poor advanced statsing
Eichel's 5v5 advanced stats are worse away from Kane this year. Kane’s are better away from Eichel.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Paul Hamilton, beat reporter for the Buffalo Sabres was on the WGR 550 Howard Simon show just now saying St. Louis was the current front runner for Kane and Botterill is looking to make a big splash with the trade.

St. Louis has some nice pieces.

^ saw this on the trade board...

What do you think a "big splash" is?

I interpret that as something more than the traditional rental "pick, prospect, etc" type of package.

Any chance we could get Jaden Schwartz? I speculate because he's out for 6-8 weeks... and St Louis definitely could use a LW replacement.

Now... I dont think we can get Schwartz for Kane straight up.... but could we get him with a package?

EDIT: Lol... I'm so excited for trade season.... that I didn't even notice "Paul Hamilton"
:facepalm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How? That team is heavily relying on all its good young players and Stastny/JBo have fallen off cliffs.

Maybe it's JBo? :biglaugh: *Hides*

Kyrou or Thomas both seem like players Botterill should have interest in if they're looking at the prospect side of things. Walman's intriguing - I liked him at Providence, but the converted-forward-on-defense thing often makes me leery.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It could just mean he wants a great return and Hamilton is mischaracterizing it.

Yeah, we’re talking about a guy who is so careless with his word choice that oftentimes you can’t help but think he’s being misleading on purpose, to get people to listen to him or whatever. Or he’s just bad at his job

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Maybe it's JBo? :biglaugh: *Hides*

Kyrou or Thomas both seem like players Botterill should have interest in if they're looking at the prospect side of things. Walman's intriguing - I liked him at Providence, but the converted-forward-on-defense thing often makes me leery.
kyrou is from sauga he go to my church

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
^ saw this on the trade board...

What do you think a "big splash" is?

I interpret that as something more than the traditional rental "pick, prospect, etc" type of package.

Any chance we could get Jaden Schwartz? I speculate because he's out for 6-8 weeks... and St Louis definitely could use a LW replacement.

Now... I dont think we can get Schwartz for Kane straight up.... but could we get him with a package?

EDIT: Lol... I'm so excited for trade season.... that I didn't even notice "Paul Hamilton"
:facepalm:

Uh no, the Blues aren't giving up Schwartz. They would be more willing to give up Fabbri for the same reason we wouldn't want him, the injuries. If a St. Louis deal happens I think it is closer to something like:

Kane and McCabe for Thompson/Thomas/Kyrou and Dunn

But if we are dreaming if they wanted to hand us Parayko that would definitely be a splash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad