Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I heard they were trying to trade for Ross Johnston just to dress him the last two games (fully knowing he would be ineligible for the playoffs) and to have him next year as a contigency plan. Anaheim wouldn’t let him go for Wahlstrom…

• Love
Reactions: MJF

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I heard they were trying to trade for Ross Johnston just to dress him the last two games (fully knowing he would be ineligible for the playoffs) and to have him next year as a contigency plan. Anaheim wouldn’t let him go for Wahlstrom…
Would you let an NHL player got in return for a guy who peaked at the 2016 NARCH tournament?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Charles Wang was a terrible owner and a terrible person. He did nothing for this franchise, at all, and deserves no praise or thanks of any kind.
In many ways, I agree that Wang was a terrible owner, though he kept his commitment to keep the franchise on Long Island.

Calling him a “terrible person” is a bit much. Perhaps you are referring to some business lawsuits he settled where he may have inflated his company’s stock price. Sure that’s not something to be admired for, but I don’t think that defines him as a person. On the positive side, he donated to a number of charitable endeavors, but to play the devil’s advocate when you have that much money, I’m not going to give him a lot of credit for donating what is likely a small fraction of his net worth to charity.

Net-net, I don’t think any of us are in a position to comment on his worth as a person. One thing I’m sure we can all agree on, this franchise is in a far better position with Malkin and Ledecky as the primary owners.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

You're kidding right? That's a puff piece version of an obituary to try and paint a lackluster person in a positive light. Nowhere in that one long paragraph does it address any of the facts that actually would have led to an Isles stay/move. If anything it proves what an inept dolt that wang was because he "tried for a decade to build a new arena for the Islanders at the site of the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale" and failed.

End of day wang couldn't get anything accomplished on or off the ice and was just a placeholder until 2015 when the SMG lease expired and real competent ownership could come along and get things done - Which is exactly what you're seeing with Malkin.

The SMG lease, and most importantly the NHL who wants the Islanders here, are what were going to keep the Isles in New York for the foreseeable future. The only thing you need to give wang credit for is selling the team to a better set of owners so we could actually get a new arena and a front office that could actually have a shot at a Cup.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
You're kidding right? That's a puff piece version of an obituary to try and paint a lackluster person in a positive light. Nowhere in that one long paragraph does it address any of the facts that actually would have led to an Isles stay/move. If anything it proves what an inept dolt that wang was because he "tried for a decade to build a new arena for the Islanders at the site of the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale" and failed.

End of day wang couldn't get anything accomplished on or off the ice and was just a placeholder until 2015 when the SMG lease expired and real competent ownership could come along and get things done - Which is exactly what you're seeing with Malkin.

The SMG lease, and most importantly the NHL who wants the Islanders here, are what were going to keep the Isles in New York for the foreseeable future. The only thing you need to give wang credit for is selling the team to a better set of owners so we could actually get a new arena and a front office that could actually have a shot at a Cup.
We aren't doing this in this thread, we aren't going to derail another thread here.

This goes for everyone, this thread is for current team discussion and speculation only, you want to talk about other teams take it to the league discussion thread. You want to rehash Wang's legacy for the 9348287492957284th time, necro another thread or open yet another one on it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We aren't doing this in this thread, we aren't going to derail another thread here.

This goes for everyone, this thread is for current team discussion and speculation only, you want to talk about other teams take it to the league discussion thread. You want to rehash Wang's legacy for the 9348287492957284th time, necro another thread or open yet another one on it.

Im just replying. Tell the other people who started this convo and kept it going. If you want to be a mod then don’t single out and mod everyone.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Attendance was consistently ranked top 10 in the league for decades at Turner Field, despite the ballpark being in one of the worst parts of town and transportation being an absolute nightmare, as Glory Days alluded to.

I lived about a mile from Truist Park and it's a breeze to get in and out of, it's a great ballpark, and it's surrounded by attractions. They're continuing to build around it. It might drop off a bit if the team is bad in the future or whatever, but I doubt it will tank.

Most people don't live in town and it's a car city through and through. It's a pain.

Was the traffic/area part of the problem with the Thrashers as well? I live about two hours away from Atlanta and depending on which part I am driving to it would make me not want to attend a game.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Was the traffic/area part of the problem with the Thrashers as well? I live about two hours away from Atlanta and depending on which part I am driving to it would make me not want to attend a game.
The Thrashers didn't really have an issue with attendance. They drew regularly better than the Hawks in the same venue. And, man I wonder what Lou is going to do with Nelson in the offseason.
:isles:isles:isles

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is totally just a sidenote, but there are currently a bucket load of possible NCAA UFAs out there who are unsigned.

TJ Hughes, Gabriel Seger, and Zach Bookman are the most prominent, even if Seger (a Swede) is the only one whose college eligibility should be up.

Mum's been the word.

Former Islander Mike Sillinger's son Lukas (23) put up 48 points this season for Arizona and he's still out there, even if he's (I believe) eligible for a 5th season of college hockey.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think if you are a college UFA you want to get paid and the best possible chance at a roster spot/playing time.

I don’t know if the Isles can really offer that.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think if you are a college UFA you want to get paid and the best possible chance at a roster spot/playing time.

I don’t know if the Isles can really offer that.
If you’re a college UFA, I’d imagine you’d take any offer you can get.

Reactions: Potvottier

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Played four years at BC and this past season at Michigan. Was Captain at BC in his final year there and wore an "A" at Michigan this season.

1713283131840.png

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I Love this Warren signing!! I wanted us to draft him in his draft year. He caught my eye he was on the USDT with a stacked USA year. Kid reminded me of Toews/Andy Greene hybrid.

This is the exact type of College signings that you should make. He has all the tools to be developed into a pro defenseman.
I also just like that they're signing a defender who appears to be a really good skater and has some offensive ability. Roy seems to like guys with skill who can skate. I also noticed that he's listed as 6', 195lbs on Michigan's website - I'm assuming that's more accurate/up to date than some lower weights I see elsewhere.

Reactions: leeroggy

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I also just like that they're signing a defender who appears to be a really good skater and has some offensive ability. Roy seems to like guys with skill who can skate. I also noticed that he's listed as 6', 195lbs on Michigan's website - I'm assuming that's more accurate/up to date than some lower weights I see elsewhere.

I was going to ask that...I think I read somewhere that he was 165 lbs. If that is indeed the case, that's a bit of a red flag. 195 sounds more legit.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I was going to ask that...I think I read somewhere that he was 165 lbs. If that is indeed the case, that's a bit of a red flag. 195 sounds more legit.
Finishing up his time in the NCAA where you get LOTS of time in the weight room, players come out of there usually much better equipped for pro hockey then the CHL.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Nice!! I wanted to draft this kid

Welp, in my books, they've now made up for drafting Ljungkrantz that year. :sarcasm:

Interestingly, Warren was part of an absolutely insane U18 Team USA. That spring, I felt only York and Thrun were better while Helleson and Warren were basically the same player.

Everyone should have a look at the company Warren once kept:

He obviously slots in as another one of these typical leadership guys that the Isles like to keep adding to the soup. And I always appreciate seeing them add players who came out of the USNTDP. All in all, a nice add who I thoroughly expect to be more for the baby Isles than what we've seen from Fulp and Mitchell, and hopefully more than what we've gotten out of Hutton, which means he'd be an NHL option. His skating should be better than those three right off the bat.

AHL blueline 24/25

Currently NYI-signed and eligible for BPort next season:
- Bolduc
- Fulp
- Mitchell
- Hutton
- Warren
- George
- Odelius

Currently BPort-signed next season:
- Rajaniemi
- Krygier
- McDonald
- Klee
- Regula

Upcoming RFAs:
- Salo
- Cholowski

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
With Bolduc, George, Odelius and now Warren, our LHD pipeline is very solid. No studs maybe, but lots of mobility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad