Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If this team only had a half decent PK and a decent PP, they'd be well inside the playoff by now. That is actually quite crazy to think about. With little wriggle room in the summer, I'd focus on upgrading the PK first. Let Martin and Clutterbuck walk, and replace them with some real PKers. In terms of cash it should be a wash.

Then I'd look to get rid of Lee, Pageau and Palmieri, if possible. Also Pulock if some team is willing to take on that contract. It would mean a similar contract coming back but maybe look for someone who can give us something different.
If Sorokin was half as good as he was last season we’d be in third. If Dobson wasn’t playing 30 mins a game for half the season he doesn’t fall apart during the final stretch (2 assists, -12 over the last 10 games) and we’re in a wild card spot.

Any sort of bounce back from Mayfield and Sorokin should have us back in the playoff picture next year. If they don’t though, we’re f***ed forever.

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
Yikes. Just looked it up. Looks hideous.
My in laws live in Summerlin. It's gorgeous. Parks every block and a half, only a short drive to the strip. Tons of shopping and restaurants nearby. Vegas is a really nice city to live in, even if you never gamble.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If Sorokin was half as good as he was last season we’d be in third. If Dobson wasn’t playing 30 mins a game for half the season he doesn’t fall apart during the final stretch (2 assists, -12 over the last 10 games) and we’re in a wild card spot.

Any sort of bounce back from Mayfield and Sorokin should have us back in the playoff picture next year. If they don’t though, we’re f***ed forever.
True, and that is why come next season, I want Roy to be given full autonomy in choosing coaches and players. Really, half the coaches should be fired for the PP, PK and goalie performances this year.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It’s just the taxes and that there’s a perceived “better option in the same area. None of these guys are sending their kids to public schools.
Is that really true about LI? Do the Martins, Clutterbucks, Baileys etc. all send their kids to private school unlike some of the players of the past?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Nope. The ones with families all live in Manhasset or Garden City and pretty much all send their kids to public school.
That's good. I mean, of course I know very well there's a big diff between have and have not districts (lol), and even so it's good that it exists that pro-athletes & similar folks send their kids to public schools.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Not sure if anyone has caught this, but Brock has not been himself playing on the W.
This is the longest goal drought he has had in a long time. Has anyone else feel this way?
I don't see a move back to C this season and I wonder if we see Nelson moved to play with Barzal to get him going - I think that combo would be stronger. I also believe Roy likes Barzal in the middle and I agree - give Maty more ice.

It looks to me that one of two things will happen with Brock this offseason - LL and Roy will look to acquire and push for a top winger, so Nelson moves back to C, and JGP is moved OR Nelson is moved in a hockey trade for a top 6 winger.

Remove any bias or what you think LL will do -
This is purely a thought experiment -

Which scenario makes this team better?

Scenario A
  • Trade JGP (2 years/5AVV) to Vancouver for Connor Garland (2 years/4.95 AAV)
  • SIGN Marchessault (3 or 4 years for 6 to 7 AAV)
  1. Lee - Barzal - Marchessault
  2. Holmstrom - Horvat - Garland
  3. Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  4. Maclean - Cizikas - Fasching
  • Trade JGP (2 years/5AVV) to Vancouver for Connor Garland (2 years/4.95 AAV)
Scenario B
  • Trade Nelson (1 years/6AVV) to the Blues for Pavel Buchnevich(1 year/5.8 AAV)
  1. Buchnevich- Barzal - Palmieri
  2. Lee - Horvat - Marchessault
  3. Engvall - Pageau - Holmstrom
  4. Maclean - Cizikas - Fasching
And is this enough of a change to the F group or do fans want to see more than just a trade and a signing- does it need to be 3 moves?
Scenario B with a third trade to push Lee to the third line.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That's good. I mean, of course I know very well there's a big diff between have and have not districts (lol), and even so it's good that it exists that pro-athletes & similar folks send their kids to public schools.
Pro-athletes are mostly uneducated or minimally educated, so a good public school for their kids is good enough for them.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If this team only had a half decent PK and a decent PP, they'd be well inside the playoff by now. That is actually quite crazy to think about. With little wriggle room in the summer, I'd focus on upgrading the PK first. Let Martin and Clutterbuck walk, and replace them with some real PKers. In terms of cash it should be a wash.

Then I'd look to get rid of Lee, Pageau and Palmieri, if possible. Also Pulock if some team is willing to take on that contract. It would mean a similar contract coming back but maybe look for someone who can give us something different.
Again, please go after Marchessault or Debrusk. Good lord either or would help this roster.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Reilly is in line to play the second most games he's every played in the NHL this year with the Isles. He's bounced around and probably would really like to finally establish himself someplace. I'm thinking they can work something out, and I would think he wouldn't ask for the moon when it comes to the dollars. ... This is where someone inserts the 7 year contract joke.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Reilly is in line to play the second most games he's every played in the NHL this year with the Isles. He's bounced around and probably would really like to finally establish himself someplace. I'm thinking they can work something out, and I would think he wouldn't ask for the moon when it comes to the dollars. ... This is where someone inserts the 7 year contract joke.
Nah, Lou will be cheap and only sign him to a 4 year deal extension. Full NTC of course 😅

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So…if Lou remains the GM and Roy wants to keep Martin and Clutter, how does that make everyone feel?

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Pro-athletes are mostly uneducated or minimally educated, so a good public school for their kids is good enough for them.
You can get minimally educated in a private school, too. Sometimes more so...

So…if Lou remains the GM and Roy wants to keep Martin and Clutter, how does that make everyone feel?
I hope a new 32 year old GM with glasses comes in... And extends Clutter and Martin. And trades the #1 pick. ;)

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Simon Benoit just signed a 3 year 1.35 AAV with the Leafs - maybe a comparable on the low-end of what Reilly possibly gets reupped.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
If one of them is willing to take a league minimum contract ($775k) as an extra forward and buryable contract, I'm OK with it.
Both have the capability to spot start, they cannot play the game regularly anymore.

I'd expect more folks to be OK in this scenario for Clutter, not Martin.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
That won't be happening. I think if the Isles miss the playoffs which is likely, Lou will be stepping away from the GM spot and Martin & Clutter will not be part of the team in a playing capacity next year. I may even throw it out there that Patrick could be GM before draft day

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That won't be happening. I think if the Isles miss the playoffs which is likely, Lou will be stepping away from the GM spot and Martin & Clutter will not be part of the team in a playing capacity next year. I may even throw it out there that Patrick could be GM before draft day
Anything goes the past 10 games. By Monday evening, a much bigger clue on who is making it should appear.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
What are the rest of the moves?
Hopefully, there’s more than that, of course.

I’m not a fan of the player, but Zegras is a goner in Anaheim in the summer. Anaheim needs defense. I would trade a late pick for Montour, sign him, then flip Pulock for Zegras.

Zegras and Barzal on the same team would be a gong show, but it gets a better forward up in the top 6 and he’s not making more than his $5.75M any time soon - he’s not even worth that price.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad