Roster moves prior to season opener (Emmerton clears waivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
So thats 2 of the three spots needed to be cleared right there. Wonder who the last cut is? Cause its holland its not like there will be a trade or anything.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Barring the promotion of Glendening or one of the other AHL centers, Emmerton will likely be back with the Wings at season's start. Waiving him was a calculated move to free up cap space ahead of tomorrow's deadline, as Emmerton is totally unremarkable and certainly clear.

Nyquist and DeKeyser will be sent down soon, as they are both are waiver-exempt. The combination of Nyquist, Emmerton, and DeKeyser will free up the necessary cap space and roster space until certain players are put on IR; at that stage, DeKeyser will be brought back to the team, and perhaps Emmerton and Nyquist as well.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Damn. I was sort of hoping the Wings would move out a player for real, not just on paper.

Yes, but you have to find someone willing to trade. 6-7 teams need to get cap compliant right now, so I'm sure GMs are waiting to see who's dumped on waivers or cut before giving up assets.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Barring the promotion of Glendening or one of the other AHL centers, Emmerton will likely be back with the Wings at season's start. Waiving him was a calculated move to free up cap space ahead of tomorrow's deadline, as Emmerton is totally unremarkable and certainly clear.

Nyquist and DeKeyser will be sent down soon, as they are both are waiver-exempt. The combination of Nyquist, Emmerton, and DeKeyser will free up the necessary cap space and roster space until certain players are put on IR; at that stage, DeKeyser will be brought back to the team, and perhaps Emmerton and Nyquist as well.

That sucks. Good thing we picked Cleary up :help:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yes, but you have to find someone willing to trade. 6-7 teams need to get cap compliant right now, so I'm sure GMs are waiting to see who's dumped on waivers or cut before giving up assets.

When guys like Raymond and Morrow are being picked up for free and for roughly a million a year at training camp time, there's no market for the Sammys, Tootoos or Emmertons. So you're totally right about that.

Honestly I kinda hope Emmerton gets claimed. The writing is on the wall for him with Detroit, and I'm eager to see if some other guys can do the job better than him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Roose tweeted hes gone. Wings like Glendening and Sheahan for the bottom 6 more, which they should.

As for Glendening on draws, he was fine in the AHL he'll be fine after a bit of practice the guys one of the hardest workers on the griffs

Aug 6, 2012
There's no way Detroit would waive Emmerton if they expect him to play for the team this season. I think Glendening will make it as 4C.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Roose tweeted hes gone. Wings like Glendening and Sheahan for the bottom 6 more, which they should.

As for Glendening on draws, he was fine in the AHL he'll be fine after a bit of practice the guys one of the hardest workers on the griffs

Emmerton also still hovers at the 44% rate, so just finding somebody with upside to get to being mediocre at draws would be an improvement. I don't think Glendening will be much worse than 44% and hopefully not by the time the playoffs role around.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

We don't have to send Nyquist and DeKeyser down.

Emmerton waived + Helm & Eaves to LTIR puts us under the cap with 23 roster players.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Glendening is mediocre

Maybe at 5 on 5 but hes a great PKer, Emmerton was mediocre at everything.

And you dont even watch the griffins so Im not sure how you always decide how these guys are based on a couple preseason games. You said the same about Mantha.

Give the guy time to get his feet wet in the NHL, he'll help the PK and play better defensively than Emmerton. Hes an upgrade at 4C and Holland is cutting some dead weight to let other players work their way up

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
We don't have to send Nyquist and DeKeyser down.

Emmerton waived + Helm & Eaves to LTIR puts us under the cap with 23 roster players.

Teams must be cap and roster compliant by the deadline without any players going to IR. Players can only be put on LTIR after the deadline.

The sum of this is that DeKeyser and Nyquist will spend a couple of days as members of the Griffins.

Last edited:

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Pretty surpricing. They had a chance to LTIR Helm+Eaves -package and send Nyquist to Griffins, but did not use that option.

Bad management from Holland wasting an asset and keeping Nyquist up! :sarcasm:

Emmerton has very favorable caphit to help some teams with tight cap. I think someone could claim him.

I know you're trying to be funny but you do know that Nyquist may get sent down just because. It's bad management that someone who is one of your best 6 players on the team has to start in the minors because the GM can't manage the cap correctly as he continues his fetish for re-treads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad