Roster & Fantasy GM Thread | 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I don't care about Advanced Stats, Shot Suppression, Fart Suppression, or any of that hot garbage. I follow the K.I.S.S. formula (i.e. Keep It Simple Stupid).

Colorado Avalanche in 2013/2014 = 112 points
Toronto Maple Leafs projected 2016/2017 point total = https://www.nhl.com/standings ((82 * 58) / 51)) = 93 points.

Leafs are actually good, but the 2013/2014 Avs team was a lot better....and appeared to have more promise than the Leafs.

"Hot Garbage"...ok there bud.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't care about Advanced Stats, Shot Suppression, Fart Suppression, or any of that hot garbage. I follow the K.I.S.S. formula (i.e. Keep It Simple Stupid).

Toronto Maple Leafs projected 2016/2017 point total = https://www.nhl.com/standings ((82 * 58) / 51)) = 93 points.

Leafs are actually good, but the 2013/2014 Avs team was a lot better....and appeared to have more promise than the Leafs.

The 13-14 avalanche were a lot luckier. The advanced stats will tell you that, but if you refuse to understand the stats you will obviously miss out on this crucial piece of information.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You fail to see what's wrong with a management group that believes they have built a playoff caliber team, that ended up finishing bottom 3 in back to back seasons?

Management has clearly stated that they are rebuilding while simultaneously having a team that can compete for a playoff spot. I don't recall them ever saying that they have a playoff calibre team. There's a difference.

If anything, I figured that 'Tank Crowd' on here would be happy with back-to-back 28th place finishes as it gives the Canucks a greater opportunity to draft an excellent prospect.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

A hot goalie.
Lucky shooting percentage
Lucky bounces
Ryan O'Reily
Paul Stastny

All things they no longer have.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
The reason people use advanced stats is because they are predictive.

Points totals have no predictive ability. Corsi, Expected Goals and Scoring Chances are predictive.

To shun aside advanced stats because you think they are dumb is idiotic.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The 13-14 avalanche were a lot luckier. The advanced stats will tell you that, but if you refuse to understand the stats you will obviously miss out on this crucial piece of information.

I admittedly have a negative bias towards 'Advanced Stats' (my view on Advanced Stats is similar to Al Iafrate's view on empty net goals), but I do concede that Advanced Stats is a useful tool.

How do Advanced Stats indicate that Colorado were lucky that season? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. You win, you get points. You lose, you either get 1 or you don't get any.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I admittedly have a negative bias towards 'Advanced Stats' (my view on Advanced Stats is similar to Al Iafrate's view on empty net goals), but I do concede that Advanced Stats is a useful tool.

How do Advanced Stats indicate that Colorado were lucky that season? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. You win, you get points. You lose, you either get 1 or you don't get any.

They had a high PDO, low SCF%, low CF% and low xGF%. That's the deifinition of lucky.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know if I can watch another year of boring "low event" hockey. This team isn't fun to watch anymore.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I don't know if I can watch another year of boring "low event" hockey. This team isn't fun to watch anymore.

A good thing about cheering for losses on this team is watching more of other teams and seeing good hockey with exciting players and systems

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
It's unbelievably naive to suggest that advanced stats are garbage after they've predicted a countless number of things. I find it baffling that people can still shrug them off as nothing. Off the top of my head, they successfully predicted the following.

- Columbus having a good year.
- Washington not doing well in the playoffs last year.
- LA going far in the playoffs in 2012 and 2014.
- The regression of the 2013 Maple Leafs, 2014 Avalanche and the 2015 Flames.
- Pittsburgh going far in the playoffs in 2016.
- The rise of the 2017 Maple Leafs.
- The Wild having a great 2017 season.

And I'm sure there are definitely more examples of analytics being proven correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad