Line Combos: Roster Discussions

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
we lost by one after a miraculous comeback and our goalie might have had his worst game of the season. Not to mention we were missing Lowry, Trouba, and Enstrom. I'm not afraid of the preds, we can do it.
Yeah looking at last nights game.

Preds knew they had to give their best to squick out that win.
That was not the Jets best game with 4 starter missing.

So yes , Im not afraid of the Preds. :)
But those Preds are a very good team which the Jets cannot take lightly and take the gas off the pedal. I think Jets will remember .

It will be a tough battle if we meet them in the playoff, it can go anyway.

Josi needs to be rattled. But i think that wont be easy. He is the key to that team.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Maurice noted that Stastny might not stay in the middle of Laine, Ehlers, i truly hope he don't start mixing things up badly...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What comments make you believe that? I just See a patern here.. if people have a slight different opinion. I guess its not okay to criticize how the coach run the lines... Ohh well :)
It's not about different opinions, it's about ill informed or unrealistic ones. Criticize Maurice all you like, I've done plenty of it.

CSW played as much as they did because Lowry is out, when he is in the lineup, his line takes those minutes from the Scheifele line in a game like that, not LSE. Which is the way it should be.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Maurice noted that Stastny might not stay in the middle of Laine, Ehlers, i truly hope he don't start mixing things up badly...

I think when crunch time comes and you need to shorten the bench. Specially in the playoff.

It will be

When we are nursing a lead with 5 mins left
Stastny Schiefele Wheeler
Perrault Lowry Little

Thats how i will role the dice also.
Coach will live and die with those guys.

In the future Laine and Roslovic will be one of those guys. They are good enough and smart enough.

If we need a goal and 5 mins left.

You need
Laine and ehlers out there. That is an easy math :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You know Maurice, a line doesn't score in a couple periods time to rearrange them!
He's done very little of that this year and only in games they have been chasing. They led or were tied for pretty much the entire game last night and scored 5 goals. Why the f*** would you rearrange your lines in that scenario?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Maurice WILL go back to ELL and put Stastny between Roslovic and Perreault, or force him to play wing with Wheeler.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

This is beyond unbelievable. Like seriously. It seemed pretty clear that Chev acquired Stastny in order to get more out of Laine and Ehlers since he must have seen what we've seen, that the ELL was just not working no matter what. We got to witness one great game from the new ESL line and he is already considering other options? Like what the heck. They were too good for his liking? This line absolutely doesn't only deserve, but NEEDS more looks. Maurice pretty much ruined whatever season these kids had going by forcing the ELL line, and he is already getting ready to pull the rug from under.

His refusal to make changes when needed has been quite something. Giving player like Laine - who has been close to 2 ppg pace for the past six games - handicapped minutes and now finally, when team's two best goal scorers find themselves in a position where they finally have a capable center, P'the great'Mo is considering "better" alternatives. Just wow, this is insane.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Even as a fellow finn I must agree that Laine and the Jets bennefit from him being sheltered from the oposing teams top lines.

His backchecking has improved but he gives next to no pressure in his own dzone, just passive straight legged stickfishing for the most part.

Even the finnish media can't seem to objectivly critize his playing and have been blaming pomo and little for laines 5v5 play.

Stasny/ Laine are a great fit but I think swapping Ehlers and Roslovic would make this team even better.

One bad forechecking/defending sniper per line is enough.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I agree that Laine is sheltered at home, but i doubt he needs to be.

These are just offensive stats but Laine has 11 powerplay goals at home 4 5v5.

On the road he has 5 pp goals and 11 on ES.

So he scores more on even strength when on the road, playing against what i assume are tougher match ups because Maurice cant shelter him.

I can check the match ups when i get home and find more stats.

Last edited:

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

Maybe the Professor is right and they're trying their best to keep Laine's production in check. Keep his ice time low, keep the good centers away from him, and hope that he doesn't hit 40 despite all the limitations and come looking for a $10M extension in the summer. With so many teams skipping the bridge deals and paying kids $8.5 - 10M fresh out of their ELC's you have to admit it's something for a budding contender to worry about cap-wise.

#tinfoilhat

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
connor shief wheeler
frenchy litts ehlers
laine stats rosie
copp lowry armia

ehlers shief wheeler
frenchy stats laine
connor little roslovic
copp lowry armia

laine shief wheeler
frenchy stats ehlers
connor little armia
copp lowry tanev

4 current
connor shief wheel
frecnh litts rosie
laine stats ehlers
copp lowry tanev/armia

with roslivic back to the moose and call up when needed

which line wld ppl prefer or do you have better suggestions ?

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I know he mentioned before Stastny even landed in Winnipeg that there are different options where he can go and not to assume he’ll be in the middle of Laine and Ehlers. Is that what you’re talking about? If so you should probably mention that because look at the S*** storm you created.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know he mentioned before Stastny even landed in Winnipeg that there are different options where he can go and not to assume he’ll be in the middle of Laine and Ehlers. Is that what you’re talking about? If so you should probably mention that because look at the S*** storm you created.
That's the way we roll around here. Throw something out there, be it out of context, fabricated or miss heard and watch to see how many ways people run with it as being an actual thing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe the Professor is right and they're trying their best to keep Laine's production in check. Keep his ice time low, keep the good centers away from him, and hope that he doesn't hit 40 despite all the limitations and come looking for a $10M extension in the summer. With so many teams skipping the bridge deals and paying kids $8.5 - 10M fresh out of their ELC's you have to admit it's something for a budding contender to worry about cap-wise.

#tinfoilhat
Kind of silly than for a team with the 2nd top PP, to focus it around him to maximize his PP production.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Kind of silly than for a team with the 2nd top PP, to focus it around him to maximize his PP production.
Silly? Please... The PP wouldn't be anywhere as good without Laine in it. He is not being kept there to maximize his production, he is being kept there because it gives the Jets the upper hand in special teams and racks up wins. They simply HAVE TO keep him there. out of necessity. Team success in the standings comes first, roster management second.

Edit: typo.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He is not being kept there to maximize his production, he is being kept there because it gives the Jets the upper hand in special teams and racks up wins. They simply HAVE TO keep him there. out of necessity. Team success in the standings comes first, roster management second.

That's an incredible and amazingly fine line to balance. I'm very impressed with TNSE's ability to fine tune the numbers to ensure maximum return on both on a game by game basis.

There are far more reasonable and less conspiratorial explanations for the way the roster is constructed. Occam's razor.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
That's the way we roll around here. Throw something out there, be it out of context, fabricated or miss heard and watch to see how many ways people run with it as being an actual thing.

It's how we are being molded to converse these days. Hyperbole and sensationalism.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It's not secret I'm primarily Laine-fan and secondarily Jets fan because of the fact Laine plays in Jets. I can see the both extremes of points of views here. But ultimately what's good for Pate is good for Jets, and visa versa. The Goal is same for both.

I can very seldom watch full Jets games and thus my vision is necessarily rather limited, but I watch recaps and highlights, and in Laine's case I look all goal scoring situations dozens of times in repeat. I'm happy Jets fan when Laine scores a goal.

Maybe it is sort of display of certain level tinfoilhatism from my part, but it's how it is. First reaction to a new goal is always emotional, after that comes more analytic approach...

Stastny. Chevy draw the Ace of Spades in that deal. :nod:

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
He clearly said in the pregame interview that Stastny will begin with Nikki and Patty but we will check other options with Stastny also, PMOs words which got me real worried...

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
You can listen his interview himself online, link can be found here i'm pretty sure. Not misheard or fabricated. PMOS words...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad