Speculation: Roster Building Thread X:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Continue from Part IX.

I will say this once and only once. Do not post rumors/tweets/crap from unverified BS sources. Every year around this time, the mods have a ton of work to do because our fanbase goes crazy over a rumor from a completely unverified and usually bullshit source. Heed this warning or you will receive a 1 month reply ban.

If you are unsure if something is legit or not, PM the mods. We would rather take 30 seconds to tell you yes or no vs. 10 minutes to clean up a thread.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
To Offsides:

See I think we fundamentally disagree on what makes minutes here for a blueliner.

We are only talking about putting Miller and Lundy together late in games when you want to shorten the bench.

Both Suter and Trouba will be playing 18+ minutes regardless of pairing combinations, because they will both be PK mainstays and spend some time on the PP.

They allow us to baby Miller and Lundy a bit, which, frankly, I think is the right developmental play. Staal, Girardi, many other good NYR defensemen started out on the third pairing behind guys like Mara, Rozsival, Yandle.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm hearing that Buffalo is engaged with several teams on Eichel. They are hoping for a great return, but might settle for a good return. If they can't get a good return, a medium return will be on the table. They don't want to trade him for a bad return. You heard it here first.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
To Offsides:

See I think we fundamentally disagree on what makes minutes here for a blueliner.

We are only talking about putting Miller and Lundy together late in games when you want to shorten the bench.

Both Suter and Trouba will be playing 18+ minutes regardless of pairing combinations, because they will both be PK mainstays and spend some time on the PP.

They allow us to baby Miller and Lundy a bit, which, frankly, I think is the right developmental play. Staal, Girardi, many other good NYR defensemen started out on the third pairing behind guys like Mara, Rozsival, Yandle.

There is no way that happens, if Suter is here he plays top 4 even strength.

Miller and the other younger guys play 3rd pair with no special teams.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We have to try breaking up Lindgren and Fox at some point. The reward is too high not to. Fox will be fine and if Lindgren keeps up his level of play, that's two top pairs right there instead of one.

If it doesn't work, you can just put them back together.

I don't get that either. What's the point of splitting Fox from Lindgren who's good for us but far from a superstar or even 1LD on his own? I mean if Fox was playing with another star defenseman and we were talking about splitting them up to improve the overall top-4 or top-6 depth but it's not the case.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I'm hearing that Buffalo is engaged with several teams on Eichel. They are hoping for a great return, but might settle for a good return. If they can't get a good return, a medium return will be on the table. They don't want to trade him for a bad return. You heard it here first.

Additionally, the whole falling out between Eichel and the Sabres wasn't over whether or not he should get a controversial surgery, but over the Sabres' unwillingness to produce an epic mini-documentary about his recovery.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, I heard that somewhere else like 10 minutes ago.

Reactions: NYRangers16

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
To Offsides:

I agree with this completely. We also need to understand that injuries happen, as does underperformance… and the lengths of time vary. It might be 5 games, or it might be all season. Plotting Miller in as the 2 LD with a servicable 3rd D will likely lead to that 3rd D playing huge minutes for major stretches of the season.This is why depth matters, and why you go top down. I’m fine with Jones or Smith as the 4th LD, Miller as 3rd, and filling higher up. You don’t want to be too thin if you plan to make the playoffs. And we have the cap to do this. Same with C… Chytil could prob handle 2C, and he does need to play more… but if Zibby gets injured, suddenly Chytil is your #1 C. Again, better to start the year with them lower on the depth chart and find ways to increase their minutes rather than suddenly having them overmatched. At least if you want to make the playoffs. And this is one reason why a lot of rebuilding teams don’t do it this way. Miller would be 1st pair on a tanking club. We are trying to balance development with making the playoffs which is hard with the youngest team (pre Devs deadline) in the league.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Are you vetted?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
so starting next year technically the Wild have a 67M cap while others have an 81.5M cap (unless you're TB then it dont exist)... thats crazy.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Continue from Part IX.

I will say this once and only once. Do not post rumors/tweets/crap from unverified BS sources. Every year around this time, the mods have a ton of work to do because our fanbase goes crazy over a rumor from a completely unverified and usually bullshit source. Heed this warning or you will receive a 1 month reply ban.

If you are unsure if something is legit or not, PM the mods. We would rather take 30 seconds to tell you yes or no vs. 10 minutes to clean up a thread.
but what if a verified source retweets an unverified source and I post the verified's source's retweet of the unverified source?

BTFRCSp.png

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
@Gardner McKay unverified source, you know what to do. RIP 31

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Do you have an instagram?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Is NHL rumors daily a legit source?? He isn't vetted or a blue check mark, but damn he's been right quite a bit from what I seen.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is NHL rumors daily a legit source?? He isn't vetted or a blue check mark, but damn he's been right quite a bit from what I seen.

Kind of?

I think a ton of what that account posts is just stuff that has been reported elsewhere and is repackaged as new info but they called a bunch of stuff recently with the outdoor/ASG for next year so they're plugged in to some extent.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also 3 areas where we need to improve next year on D.

1. Controlled exits
2. Puck Retrievals
3. Speed, which plays into both points 1 and 2 but just in general, we're slow pretty much at every position (except C, where everyone want to improve.)

Overshadowed because Fox won the Norris, but losing DeAngelo really hurt us in all 3.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I agree with this completely. We also need to understand that injuries happen, as does underperformance… and the lengths of time vary. It might be 5 games, or it might be all season. Plotting Miller in as the 2 LD with a servicable 3rd D will likely lead to that 3rd D playing huge minutes for major stretches of the season.This is why depth matters, and why you go top down. I’m fine with Jones or Smith as the 4th LD, Miller as 3rd, and filling higher up. You don’t want to be too thin if you plan to make the playoffs. And we have the cap to do this. Same with C… Chytil could prob handle 2C, and he does need to play more… but if Zibby gets injured, suddenly Chytil is your #1 C. Again, better to start the year with them lower on the depth chart and find ways to increase their minutes rather than suddenly having them overmatched. At least if you want to make the playoffs. And this is one reason why a lot of rebuilding teams don’t do it this way. Miller would be 1st pair on a tanking club. We are trying to balance development with making the playoffs which is hard with the youngest team (pre Devs deadline) in the league.

Chytil is a good example of what I am talking about, it's the end of his entry level contract and there are still questions about what he is mostly because he was never played above the 3rd line or on special teams.

If the Rangers are going to do that with every young player they are going to end up with a whole lot of bridge deals where they are still bringing in players to play above them.

Reactions: NYRangers16

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
id trade Buchnevich Strome for cap reasons and should target Landeskog. outside of Kreider not much grit size or physicality in top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce