Roster Building Thread VI (2022-23): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
@McRanger92 you said in the last thread: Im talking about roster construction, I'll care about matchups and D pairs more when the season is starting. The team needs puck movers, Zac Jones is literally a free puck mover. He deserves a shot. The rest is irrelevant until September.

It is absolutely relevant bc trouba is going to still be a top4 here over schneider and will continue to play against the better players on other teams while schneider mans the 3rd pair with selective minutes. like i said posts ago if you want to try jones and commit to him for the season on the 3rd pair and then make an upgrade at the deadline if needed that is fine, whatever, but this whole thing started bc you want to trade lindgren so you can move miller up with fox and play jones with trouba. that was your stated plan. i am simply saying that asking jones to walk in and play in a top 4 role with a d man that is typically eating minutes against the other teams best players is setting up jones to fail. it is what bad management does. and this again takes us back the the same core question: if you trade lindgren who is playing top 4 ld and filling that hole? wat does the player cost in assets? what is his cap hit? where are you finding this player?

Reactions: LokiDog

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
@McRanger92 you said in the last thread: Im talking about roster construction, I'll care about matchups and D pairs more when the season is starting. The team needs puck movers, Zac Jones is literally a free puck mover. He deserves a shot. The rest is irrelevant until September.

It is absolutely relevant bc trouba is going to still be a top4 here over schneider and will continue to play against the better players on other teams while schneider mans the 3rd pair with selective minutes. like i said posts ago if you want to try jones and commit to him for the season on the 3rd pair and then make an upgrade at the deadline if needed that is fine, whatever, but this whole thing started bc you want to trade lindgren so you can move miller up with fox and play jones with trouba. that was your stated plan. i am simply saying that asking jones to walk in and play in a top 4 role with a d man that is typically eating minutes against the other teams best players is setting up jones to fail. it is what bad management does. and this again takes us back the the same core question: if you trade lindgren who is playing top 4 ld and filling that hole? wat does the player cost in assets? what is his cap hit? where are you finding this player?

Miller-Fox
Mikkola (3 x 2.5M)-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Harpur

Use Lindgren to add speed to the forward group.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Miller-Fox
Mikkola (3 x 2.5M)-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Harpur

Use Lindgren to add speed to the forward group.
so take our 3ld that was a mess in the series and struggled with extended big minutes, and elevate him to the 2nd pair, LOVE IT!!!

Mikkola was perfectly fine when he was playing with Fox. Certainly better than he looked with Schneider. The guy can handle a bigger role.
mikkola didnt have to transition the puck when he was with fox bc that is what fox does. trouba doesnt transition the puck, that is what miller did on that pair. putting two guys together that dont transition the puck is a bold strategy Cotton...

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I wouldn’t be surprised if Kane is back next year on a cheap deal. I also don’t think they’re going to give up on Lafreniere, though you do want to see some sort of improvement. He and Miller will probably get bridge deals. Kakko has earned a the top RW spot and a place on the PP.

Jones should get another shot at the pairing with Schneider. He could QB PP2 and gives us another puck mover, something that’s desperately needed. Schneider needs to learn when to go for the big hit and when not too, because he got caught a lot.

Trocheck and Panarin just don’t work well at all together. They both produce because they’re talented, but they don’t have chemistry. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re having the same situation with Goodrow that we’re having with Trocheck very soon. Instead of trusting Chytil to be the #2C they went out and spent on a mercenary.

I’m also stating the obvious, but the organization made an absolute mess when it comes to the cap.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Trocheck and Panarin just don’t work well at all together. They both produce because they’re talented, but they don’t have chemistry.

Trocheck and Panarin don’t work well together
Zibanejad and Panarin don’t work well together
Chytil and Panarin don’t work well together.

What’s the common denominator here?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
so take our 3ld that was a mess in the series and struggled with extended big minutes, and elevate him to the 2nd pair, LOVE IT!!!

mikkola didnt have to transition the puck when he was with fox bc that is what fox does. trouba doesnt transition the puck, that is what miller did on that pair. putting two guys together that dont transition the puck is a bold strategy Cotton...

What would you do then? You're interrogating me so you must have a much better plan

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Not sure what the game plan will be this offseason. I feel like one really tough decision will have to happen, like moving one of Lafreniere (I still have hope, he's just 21 years old and the whole team was a mess not just him) or Panarin.

That said, the low hanging fruit is obvious: trade Goodrow to clear cap space and replace him with an actual center. Goodrow is a good player in the right role, which is fourth line winger with the ability to move up to third line and kill penalties. In typical Ranger fashion, we've we played him at center where he struggled to keep up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have said this before but if the plan is to eventually move on from Lindgren, which is something that should be on the table, then signing a good 3LD this off-season should be a priority. I like this grouping:

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Gostisbehere-Schneider

A lot better than:

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Robertson-Schneider

Too little depth.

What's wild is that it's distinctly possible that Gostisbehere will make almost an identical cap hit to Lindgren right now.

A lot of this depends on how the team sees guys like Scanlin, Emberson and Robertson. All 3 project to be more defensive d-men than bringing offense at the next level should they succeed in doing so.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I agree that the Miller-Trouba pair should be split up. I've seen enough. Miller-Fox showed promise in their brief time together.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Trocheck and Panarin don’t work well together
Zibanejad and Panarin don’t work well together
Chytil and Panarin don’t work well together.

What’s the common denominator here?
It’s funny you say that, because during the season I kept thinking that Panarin doesn’t fit.

Reactions: haohmaru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad