Roster Building Thread V (2022-23): Cheese and WINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Lafreniere is blocked by the fact that he's not a top 6 player
I'm liking the way Laf has played with Kane. Kakko, however, is definitely blocked because he isn't a top 6 player. We had to acquire Tarasenko because Kakko is MIA most of the time.

Reactions: LokiDog

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
to become wise you must become a fool.

You're speakin nonsense and acting out like a child. 'Trade everyone. Trade the kids. Give up. Lets go back to the dark ages.' Relax.

We have a stacked lineup. The problem is the coaching staff and roster do not mix. The coaching staff is literally letting players 'figure it out'. It's borderline asinine. Everyone wants Kakko with Zibs and Kreider... It's a coaching issue again. Everyone would like the kids scattered through out the top9... it's a coaching decision again. We look disjointed and are an absolute Chinese Fire Drill at 5v5... coaching.

We have a deep top9. We desperately need another PMD... Some fool recommended getting a PMD like Chychrun... That's the biggest need, roster wise, right now, moving forward.

It's either the players figure it out on their own, and we succeed in the playoffs.... or they don't and we finally get a competent 2023 NHL coaching staff next season.
I'm hoping they actually play Jones and live with whatever deficiencies he may have.

Reactions: mas0764

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm hoping they actually play Jones and live with whatever deficiencies he may have.
the funny aspect is, in their minds or on paper, there's issues with Jones... whether it be size or playing in front/on the boards...

in reality, all there prized vets have the same issues... but it's OK for them to do it...

Jones will most likely have growing pains but he can do what we need.... move the puck .

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
And when he gets hot, everyone will say to sign him for 5+ years.

I look at Chytil and see a little Roope Hintz. Both in size, development, and playing style. This isn’t a player we should be trading.

Hintz broke out at 25 with 37 goals. 30+ this year. Chytil has that type of ability. Inconsistency is part of the process

This is only kind of true. The year before that he had already been over point per game, he just only played 41 games. But 43 points in 41 as a 24 year old. The year prior it was 33 in 60, and that was his second year. Chytil just broke 30 for the first time this season, in year 5/6.

Age wise, the comparison is a bit better because Roope didn’t come over until he was 22, but he basically was a top six player by his sophomore season and has been point per game in the NHL since his third season. He’s also 52% on faceoffs for his career and much more physical than Fil. Received Selke votes last year as well.

I know Fil is young and the potential is there, but I don’t think he’ll ever be Hintz. I actually see more of a very watered down Malkin. The size is and strength are there, but he’ll never be a true physical player, not good on draws, not really good defensively. I’m obviously not comparing his ability to Malkin, but style wise they seem the most similar to me. The only thing really similar with Roope is speed. Unfortunately, Malkin was one of the most purely talented people to ever play the sport and he could get by playing a style that kind of didn’t give attention to other areas of the game, because his peak offensive ability made that catch-22 still payoff for his team. Chytil isn’t nearly as talented as peak Malkin, so he would need to learn to do those things that Hintz does - be a consistent faceoff machine, penalty killer, physical force on the forecheck and backcheck, very strong defensively - in order to round out his game as a genuine top-six center. Otherwise, he’s a Ryan Strome. The numbers look like top six, but the actual performance doesn’t pass the eye test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Rangers

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
People are missing the forest for the trees. The kids are the future.... They will be the core for the next 10 years. You're missing the big picture. We have the greatest window to win a cup over the past few decades RIGHT NOW. That window is today and the next few playoffs. It doesn't mean we're going to suck in 5 years, it means the roster will be different. The current day vets will be gone and the kids will now be the vets. The process repeats itself if we have strong drafts. We may never be able to replicate it, that's why you go for it NOW.

What we have right now is VERY RARE. Established, high level vets AND high level youth. Our depth is kind of crazy. It's not evident because we're handcuffed with our approach/coaching. cOaChInG dOeSnT mAtTeR. see Boston. see Jersey with adding Brunette. see Florida.

I really do not know what coaching staff could right the ship into the land of cups...

Quenneville is the obvious choice but there's a dark cloud hanging over that. Besides him, I do not see anyone.

I do not know if I'd trust Brunette as 'the guy'. I like his approach offensively but does it translate in the Playoffs? He's a young up and comer so he can learn and adapt for it to work come crunch time? Brunette with a strong defensive assistant may work? and add another 'Gallant style' of assistant to even it out? I truly can't picture this team playing 2023 modern day hockey.... Imagine that...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Meltdown? Stop being more foolish than usual.

All of them are blocked. You can't see that? Another year of trying to figure out how to use Lafreniere? The Rangers are not moving him to RW. Kreider and Panarin aren’t being moved to RW. Is Panarin or Kreider being dropped in lineup? No.

The Rangers have spent the last three years trying to juggle the three left wing scenario. Othmann enters the picture starting next season.

Chytil will not get meaningful time in the top 6. The Rangers can get a player in free agency to enter the 3rd line. Kakko will never get an opportunity here.

How do the Rangers move forward? I didn't mention anything about those three players. The Rangers will have the same issues starting whenever their season ends.

How do the rangers move forward? Kane and Tarasenko are unsigned. There’s a spot for Kakko in the top 6 if he can finally show he can handle it. Chytil isn’t a top 6 C right now for a team that wants to win. I love him but watch him on the Thompson chance Igor saved yesterday. Completely lost defensively. These guys are still growing. Acting like the deadline moves changed anything about the long-term plan is being facetious just because you didn’t like the moves. The pipeline is still stocked and we’ve maintained our firsts the next 2 years. Don’t have another freak out over a conditional pick. The team is more than fine now and later

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
the kids sucking major ass is independent of Kreider and Panarin's minutes. theyre just not good. for whatever reason they aren't and they don't seem to be getting any better.
Does Drury have the balls to deal either top 2 pick? I would've traded Lafreniere to Montreal for their unprotected 2023 1st last summer at a time they would have entertained it. Ship has sailed there.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Gallant is either getting his name on the Cup or a pink slip, in my opinion.
Then he’ll hire Greg DeVries as head coach, with Alex Tanguay as the goaltending coach, David Aebischer as the offensive coach and Milan Hejduk as the defensive coach.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Kreider and Kane look like they have some chemistry. Panarin needs to figure it out ASAP. The kids finally showed some flashes in the 3rd period.

Hopefully things will start to gel this week. Lindgren’s return should help.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Would it be too bold to fire Gallant at this point? A new coach could put us over the top
It was a difference maker for 2019 Blues, but they were doing so much worse when they pulled the plug on Yeo. I think they were just stoked to get rid of him, and I don’t know if our players hate Gallant nearly as much, if at all.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This is only kind of true. The year before that he had already been over point per game, he just only played 41 games. But 43 points in 41 as a 24 year old. The year prior it was 33 in 60, and that was his second year. Chytil just broke 30 for the first time this season, in year 5/6.

Age wise, the comparison is a bit better because Roope didn’t come over until he was 22, but he basically was a top six player by his sophomore season and has been point per game in the NHL since his third season. He’s also 52% on faceoffs for his career and much more physical than Fil. Received Selke votes last year as well.

I know Fil is young and the potential is there, but I don’t think he’ll ever be Hintz. I actually see more of a very watered down Malkin. The size is and strength are there, but he’ll never be a true physical player, not good on draws, not really good defensively. I’m obviously not comparing his ability to Malkin, but style wise they seem the most similar to me. The only thing really similar with Roope is speed. Unfortunately, Malkin was one of the most purely talented people to ever play the sport and he could get by playing a style that kind of didn’t give attention to other areas of the game, because his peak offensive ability made that catch-22 still payoff for his team. Chytil isn’t nearly as talented as peak Malkin, so he would need to learn to do those things that Hintz does - be a consistent faceoff machine, penalty killer, physical force on the forecheck and backcheck, very strong defensively - in order to round out his game as a genuine top-six center. Otherwise, he’s a Ryan Strome. The numbers look like top six, but the actual performance doesn’t pass the eye test.
I just don’t agree with your take at all. You cannot compare Chytil as year 5/6 to Hintz “in his sophomore year”- the years in the league is a distraction, you have to do it by age. Chytil is 23. You’re talking about Hintz’s age 24 season. Let’s see where Fil is next year. I think he’s trending that way. Prob end around 22-25 goals this year and close to 40 points. As a 3C with limited PP time.

As far as play style, I don’t see Malkin or Strome at all. Not even remotely. I see Roope. Fast, good shot. Chytil is also pretty decent defensively but he needs to improve there as well. And he needs to pack on some muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad