Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Just because it helps Vegas doesn’t mean it also doesn’t help the Rangers. That middle ground is where a deal should be made. This is also why the price should be less for Karlsson

Yeah, It doesn't need to be a zero sum game, I mean when a team isn't in your division it becomes much less of a concern whether or not you are helping the trading partner. You only have to worry whether it benefits YOUR team or not.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yeah. That works if we want to pay that price. My point was that there won't be a lot of competition/bidding for whomever Vegas is cutting for cost reasons, because most of the other suitors would need to send cap BACK to Vegas to fit the contracts Vegas wants to cut and Vegas can't accept any back for the exact reasons they are selling in the first place. Hahaha.
I'm easy....send them [2] 3rd round picks . Then make a similar move for a Dman filler piece and if available grab a good young C with a couple of our bigger pieces and a first rounder . If there are no C's available via trade for a long term fit then maybe just find a decent guy that can do draws and check a bit /be reliable defensively /and keep our current C's for this year and let Strome walk at year end if he can't be made fit $$ . I think this club will surprise some people the last 30 games under Gallant with a few tweaks /upgrades/additions . Florida and the Canes are so solid and would be tough in a 7 game series as would TB ......all things must be weighed out . Keep one foot on the brake !

Reactions: bhamill

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Also say goodbye to Kakko or Laf. I don’t get why people cream themselves over Pettersson, by all accounts he’s been underwhelming in VAN since signing that bridge deal.
Even if he's not he needs to be your top offensive center or a team just has big structural problems.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Is Miller really worth the significant cost vs the pennies the Rangers could pay to acquire, say, Kessel, Janmark and Lehkonen?

Is Miller really that good? Is only 1 season of a player that already failed here really worth it?

How could people be on here wanting to trade young assets for established players with term and think that JT MILLER is that player?

Has the whole world gone crazy!?!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is Miller really worth the significant cost vs the pennies the Rangers could pay to acquire, say, Kessel, Janmark and Lehkonen?

Is Miller really that good? Is only 1 season of a player that already failed here really worth it?

How could people be on here wanting to trade young assets for established players with term and think that JT MILLER is that player?

To be fair, he's been borderline elite for Vancouver.

Again, my concern is that forwards almost uniformly get worse here and we've seen the player Miller is in our culture, which really hasn't changed any. That player is not worth it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

How did Miller fail here? He had 56 points in 82 games as a 23 year old. Second on the team. That’s still more points than Kreider has ever had in a season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
How did Miller fail here? He had 56 points in 82 games as a 23 year old. Second on the team. That’s still more points than Kreider has ever had in a season.

When Miller was on his game he was amazing here.

But he was one of the streakier performers I'd seen.

That 56 points- a lot of it came in stretches and against low quality opponents.

Now he brings that hot streak swagger much more often.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I have no problem trading Krav or Nils for Miller really. Krav is basically a magic bean for other teams at this point and as much as some people don't want to hear it, Nils is nothing special.

Miller isn't a rental so there would have to be something going back that you don't want to give up. I don't know that JT is THE piece but I do know that he would fill several needs while acknowledging that he wouldn't be as productive here since he isn't knocking anyone off of the top PP (maybe Strome, but even then it wouldn't be in JT's normal role.)
The idea that Nils is nothing special is ridiculous. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I just don't like the idea of a Miller reunion. Sometimes, players just find themselves in the right place, and are unable to replicate success outside of that environment. I also think he's not enough of an upgrade over Strome to justify the price tag.

Also, a second stint just seems unfair to the player, as well (unless they sign as a FA). Especially when that player was a disappointment in their first stint. Everyone is primed to jump on every mistake. The player is under immense pressure to prove themselves to the fanbase.

What the Rangers need is a matchup C who can soak up all the tough minutes. We're forced to use Mika because our other Cs suck at handling those minutes (not that Mika is a defensive wizard either). Really think Gourde fits the bill. I wonder if SEA would entertain moving him? His contract gives us some cost-certainty through the flat cap years and enough time to groom a replacement.

Reactions: Cag29

effen

Feb 3, 2018
If Chytil puts up 56 pints at age 23 next year everyone would consider it a hugely successful season yet somehow Miller doing that at 23 was a disappointment. Weird.
Weirder: Kreider, Miller, and Buchnevich are all thoroughly products of the Rangers system and scoring at a PPG entering or in their prime but the org manhandles and misuses and ruins young players.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Just because it helps Vegas doesn’t mean it also doesn’t help the Rangers. That middle ground is where a deal should be made. This is also why the price should be less for Karlsson

I just dont think we should be interested in Karlsson. It would be significantly less because of his contract, his play, and that others have easily passed him on the depth chart. His faceoffs are horrible and its not like hes going to get younger and better now. Will be 36 by the time his contract runs out. Just not sure why we would be interested in him.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Probably B. Just not all that thrilled about trading 1sts+ for rentals.

Miller is still a rental. Kicks can down the road an extra season but then when we are tryin to make a deal for that true center, we have much less prospects to deal from. Seems to be not the best choice of our highend prospects

Reactions: mas0764

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Miller is still a rental. Kicks can down the road an extra season but then when we are tryin to make a deal for that true center, we have much less prospects to deal from. Seems to be not the best choice of our highend prospects
you could look at it that way, but he's not a rental in the strictest sense of the word. That extra year is important because if worst comes to worst you could recoup assets the following season, and best case is you have a good player for 2 playoff runs instead of one.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Brett Howden has more points than KK and Laf this year.

What the f***

We'll see where Kakko and Laf are when they are 23.

This is Howdens 4th season in the NHL.

Laf will be in his 5th season at 23.

Kakko will be in 6th

Puts into perspective how young these kids are. While Howden wasnt a 1 or 2 Ov, he was still a 1st rounder.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If Chytil puts up 56 pints at age 23 next year everyone would consider it a hugely successful season yet somehow Miller doing that at 23 was a disappointment. Weird.

Some of these guys embarrass themselves regarding their nonsensical position on Miller.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
you could look at it that way, but he's not a rental in the strictest sense of the word. That extra year is important because if worst comes to worst you could recoup assets the following season, and best case is you have a good player for 2 playoff runs instead of one.

If we trade for Miller and he doesn't completely bomb, there's zero chance that we will keep him for this year and then trade him in the offseason. There's also zero chance that we'll trade him at the next trade deadline.

The question then is, do we let him walk and try to sign someone else? Or do we re-sign him? If we re-sign him, how are we affording him? Kreider and Trouba will still have another year on the NMCs and Laf, Chytil and Miller will need new contracts. Maybe Chytil will go the other way for Miller, but it's still a tight squeeze. If he plays well for us, he'll be due for a significant raise.

Miller is not the answer to our center problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad