Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XXXIX:

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Seriously, how have none of the major insiders picked up on the fact that the Rangers have set up shop both in LA and in Ontario with their AHL team for weeks? No info on that at all?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
TDL aside, I would be interested in having a D corp next year that looks like:

McD-Shattenkirk
Staal/Skjei-B. Smith
Skjei/Staal-Clendening

Buyout Girardi, trade Klein at the deadline this year, Holden gets taken in expansion.

Wonder if Smith would take a contract similar to Holdens. 2 years @1.65 million

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
IBN Bob tweeting out Smith is between Leafs and Rangers. Gorton either trying to worry STL or he knows the price is too high. I mean, I know the twitter insiders continue to say him coming July 1 is a given but with the way the Rangers have played this season, 40 wins, 21 to play, possibility for another 50+ win season, to see Washington or Pitt acquire Shattenkirk for another whack at a cup will hurt.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Seriously, how have none of the major insiders picked up on the fact that the Rangers have set up shop both in LA and in Ontario with their AHL team for weeks? No info on that at all?

Wish there were leaks with this front office--would love to get beyond pure speculation.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Every beat writer not named Larry was canned early on. Brooks is still there contradicting what everyone else is saying.

Where's the new chick?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

The info as far as LA goes is that they're scouting Paul LaDue.
He's a youngster that isn't ready to see any meaningful mins in the playoffs just that.
Make of that what you will..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
IBN Bob tweeting out Smith is between Leafs and Rangers. Gorton either trying to worry STL or he knows the price is too high. I mean, I know the twitter insiders continue to say him coming July 1 is a given but with the way the Rangers have played this season, 40 wins, 21 to play, possibility for another 50+ win season, to see Washington or Pitt acquire Shattenkirk for another whack at a cup will hurt.

Or hes talking out of his ass/rehashing what other "insiders" have said.

I don't know why you're really putting much credence into the Pitt or Washington Rumors. Pitt is literally capped out and just picked up Hainsey and Washington doesn't have a ton of space or the need either.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Those two are driving up price clear as day. They def don't want to see shattenkirk join this team

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Washington is more likely than Pitt

Washington will have a little under 3.5 million to spend on Wednesday

Shattenkirk's cap hit for the rest of the season would only account for a little over a million

So it could be done, who knows

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Pittsburgh and Washington being linked to Shattenkirk was leaked by STL to drum up the price. Unless Pittsburgh wants to trade Fleury and a pick for a rental Shattenkirk and Jake Allen, Shattenkirk doesn't fit under the cap.

Ditto for Washington. Neither can afford Shattenkirk without sending salary the other way.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Washington has a right side that consists of Niskanen-Carlson-Orlov.

Which one of those guys is coming out? I suppose you could bump Orpik and throw Orlov on the left side but I don't see it.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Or hes talking out of his ass/rehashing what other "insiders" have said.

I don't know why you're really putting much credence into the Pitt or Washington Rumors. Pitt is literally capped out and just picked up Hainsey and Washington doesn't have a ton of space or the need either.

Rangers need back in 2015 was not really for Yandle but they wound up getting him. Caps have Niskanen and Orpik hurting and Carlson and Alzner doing the heavy lifting right now. Caps are in win now mode and are going to finish as a top 2 team this season. They can go out and get Shattenkirk, have Ovi tee off on the top unit and Shattenkirk run the second. What is a 1st and prospect to them? They are like the Rangers. Trying to get Ovechkin that elusive cup. This is one of their better teams again.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Pittsburgh and Washington being linked to Shattenkirk was leaked by STL to drum up the price. Unless Pittsburgh wants to trade Fleury and a pick for a rental Shattenkirk and Jake Allen, Shattenkirk doesn't fit under the cap.

Ditto for Washington. Neither can afford Shattenkirk without sending salary the other way.

Pens could put Maatta or Daley on LTIR.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers need back in 2015 was not really for Yandle but they wound up getting him. Caps have Niskanen and Orpik hurting and Carlson and Alzner doing the heavy lifting right now. Caps are in win now mode and are going to finish as a top 2 team this season. They can go out and get Shattenkirk, have Ovi tee off on the top unit and Shattenkirk run the second. What is a 1st and prospect to them? They are like the Rangers. Trying to get Ovechkin that elusive cup. This is one of their better teams again.

Rangers 100% had a need for Yandle. Their D took a huge hit when Stralman left and Boyle wasn't getting the job done on the PP. That team had the same issue that this team has, a lack of puck moving D. Yandle fit the bill and if not for a rash of injuries, it would have worked out.

Again I ask, if the Caps get Shattenkirk, who sits? PP isn't an issue for them, scoring isnt an issue for them, they've given up the fewest goals in the league - I don't see the fit.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Washington has a right side that consists of Niskanen-Carlson-Orlov.

Which one of those guys is coming out? I suppose you could bump Orpik and throw Orlov on the left side but I don't see it.

They don't need him on the pp either

This text book blocking attempt

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Rangers 100% had a need for Yandle. Their D took a huge hit when Stralman left and Boyle wasn't getting the job done on the PP. That team had the same issue that this team has, a lack of puck moving D. Yandle fit the bill and if not for a rash of injuries, it would have worked out.

Again I ask, if the Caps get Shattenkirk, who sits? PP isn't an issue for them, scoring isnt an issue for them, they've given up the fewest goals in the league - I don't see the fit.

Orpik is as slow as G and if they insist on sitting him they can sit Schmidt

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I think there's something there, but there is always the possibility that the Rangers saw an opportunity to scout a number of teams in a row by setting up shop in LA and Ontario.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Would you do Nash at 50% and Zuccarello for Mark Stone? He's a 24-year-old who is a consistent 60+ player. Had 64 points, then 61 and now on pace for 68 points over 82 games this year. They can make it work because they have $5 available under the cap right now. On our end, we'd save about $5 on the cap that can go to sign Shatty, plus Stone is better (and younger) than either Nash or MZA.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Love the 400 fake rumor insiders on twitter. According to one, NYR and STL talks heating up with Shatty heading to NYR and the NYR would be sending back Zibanejad or Kreider, a pick and top prospect :laugh:. If Gorton ever contemplated this I think Machine would destroy his computer and so would 3/4 of this thread.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Would you do Nash at 50% and Zuccarello for Mark Stone? He's a 24-year-old who is a consistent 60+ player. Had 64 points, then 61 and now on pace for 68 points over 82 games this year. They can make it work because they have $5 available under the cap right now. On our end, we'd save about $5 on the cap that can go to sign Shatty, plus Stone is better (and younger) than either Nash or MZA.

Zucc alone is on pace for like 60 at least. Not going to send them two very important FWDs for one guy in Stone who was recently headshotted by Troubs.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Don't count out the Pens on Shattenkirk. There's more than just posturing there I believe but it's definitely more on the "If the price is right" side of the spectrum. Don't think they're pulling out all the stops to land him. They have a lot of injuries and Letang is always a question mark in terms of health. 1st and a prospect is out of their price range for sure.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

Absolutely not. I see where your head is at thoigh

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Letang and Schultz on the right side who they love and want to resign. Shattenkirk would be a rental. They really want to pay a premium for 3rd pairing mins? Find that strange

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To be fair, he'd probably play on the 2nd pair.

In a millisecond.

I don't think Ottawa does either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad