Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXVIII: Big Trouba in Little Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Virtanen's shoulder surgery destroyed the only real NHL skill he had outside of skating well and hitting people. Had a laser of a shot and it's just not there anymore.

While true, there is still a lot of value in a guy who does the things that he does well.

His floor is pretty high and I think he would look pretty damn good playing with Hayes.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm not saying he played well yesterday, but considering he was on the ice for 1 goal for and 1 goal against yesterday, I find it hard to believe that Zibanejad single-handedly cost the Rangers the game...

No idea why the witch hunt is out for him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
While true, there is still a lot of value in a guy who does the things that he does well.

His floor is pretty high and I think he would look pretty damn good playing with Hayes.

He probably needs 1-2 seasons in the AHL alone before he can even think about cracking this roster imo.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well, assuming one of G/Staal aren't bought out, Klein is being exposed to the expansion draft. It's when one of them waives/gets bought out that it gets interesting.

So either both Klein/Holden go unprotected, or potentially only one of them.

I don't think he's worth protecting over the other forwards the team has.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Witch hunt?

I didnt say trade Zib.

But he hasnt played well. He hasnt generated that many chances and he has had an incredibly difficulty time hitting the net with the one timer.

Is he exempt from criticism? Did i miss something?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Waiting for the "Zib is better than Stepan" crowd to chime in. I love Zbad, but he's no where near as consistent as Step at this point, hopefully he develops to be better. I get the Zibanejad love though, much flashier player.

The only way I trade Stepan is in a package to get one of the 19 or so centers that are better than he is, and those players rarely move.

Zibanejad has all the tools that IMO consider him to be superior to Stepan in most aspects of the game. Skating, shooting, physicality are all in his favor. He generates more high percentage scoring chances and generates more chances in general per shift. This is shifting to more of a skating league and I think that's where Zibanejad is a far more valuable player going forward. Just my .02.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Zibby is not mature in the sense that he lacks an emotional consistency out there.

Just hit the ****ing net and play like a thoroughbred out there.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Zibanejad has all the tools that IMO consider him to be superior to Stepan in most aspects of the game. Skating, shooting, physicality are all in his favor. He generates more high percentage scoring chances and generates more chances in general per shift. This is shifting to more of a skating league and I think that's where Zibanejad is a far more valuable player going forward. Just my .02.

Agree.

Stepan is 26 and players at that age are most likely all they can be (there are exceptions). Ziba is 3 years younger and still has plenty of developing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm confused for Franson's name keeps coming up in posts but he used to be persona non grata on this board.

Wow! some posts back you were concerned about posters looking shown up because of my vocabulary. I said there was no intentional diss and wuz just being accurate. Said further to the effect I am sure you would show yourself to be erudite. Thanks for proving me right, and your concerns misplaced.

Honest question, do you even watch the games?
As often as possible, yes.

There is most likely a plan to move on from these guys. Dallas or Calgary seem ripe for a Staal trade, and Girardi could be traded at 50% to pretty much anywhere at this point.
So sad

Dallas - show me
Calgary - I see the dots, just have to connect, prob as a piece for Hamilton
G - not so easy and esp to 'anywhere'.

Virtanen's shoulder surgery destroyed the only real NHL skill he had outside of skating well and hitting people. Had a laser of a shot and it's just not there anymore.

So logic says if we think we can eventually have his shoulder substantially recovered, even if it takes a yr -2 rehabbing, he is worth checking out if they let him go for peanuts. Otherwise, dead end waste

Which is why it is stupid to trade him. It will seriously hurt our offensive depth if we get rid of him

Objectively, this is wrong. It is emotional, not rationale.
It could be brilliant or stupid to deal him depending upon the return, to which you obviously have no open mind considering.
We have ample O depth via F atm

Because he isn't scoring.
Generating chances? Yes. Converting? No.
Reunite KZB and I'd put money on him scoring the game they're back together.

Also, put Clendening on PP1.

correct,
they have physical skills that complement x factor chemistry

Agree.
Stepan is 26 and players at that age are most likely all they can be (there are exceptions). Ziba is 3 years younger and still has plenty of developing.

Concur x2

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Gardner McKay mentioned this on the Trades board, but the Isles have a lot of pieces the Rangers could use and the Rangers have pieces the Isles could use. It's too bad they're divisional rivals - otherwise they would've made good trade partners.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Why doesn't this guy just reunite KZB? I don't understand. Zucc and Zibanejad have zero chemistry.

He might not like what he's been seeing from Zibanejad+Kreider more than what he's seen from Zibanejad+Zucc.

Changing it up in any way he can just to see if he can get something going.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I like the skjei move guy needs more mins and Staal needs a better skating puck mover with him. Skjei is one of our top 3 D should be playing in top 4

As far as the forwards go you can do a lot with that top 9 and it would be hard to complain who's slotted where. Very interchangeable won't go nuts on that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He might not like what he's been seeing from Zibanejad+Kreider more than what he's seen from Zibanejad+Zucc.

Changing it up in any way he can just to see if he can get something going.

Thought process there should be:

KZB was excellent
KZZ was not great

Maybe I should try KZB again.

Anyway, doesn't surprise me that AV broke this up and never tried it again. That's his MO (see: Stalberg - Staal - Lindberg; Yandle - McIlrath; Staal - Clendening)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Gardner McKay mentioned this on the Trades board, but the Isles have a lot of pieces the Rangers could use and the Rangers have pieces the Isles could use. It's too bad they're divisional rivals - otherwise they would've made good trade partners.

Once in a while I do get things right. :nod: Thanks for the credit.

They have a wealth of young defensemen. They desperately need forwards. I would be petrified to trade Zuccarello to the Islanders and see him score 80+ points playing with Tavares. However, we could likely fix our defensive problems by making that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad