Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Have never been a huge fan of Berglund, but would be ok with signing him to a "show me" contract. I think he could play wing on our top-six and fill in just fine at C. Would be a good stopgap for when Kreider is gone.

Reactions: RGY

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I'm sure plenty will disagree, but I'm happy that Lias was viewed as too high of an ask from the Rangers perspective in a Puljujarvi trade.

I don't think that was why it was considered too high. The report said that Edmonton also wanted a first rounder. The deal on the table was Andersson + 1st round pick for Puljujarvi. I believe the rangers only wanted to do a straight up deal.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think they'd still be open to adding the right center, the question is whether the right center will be available.

I think Zibanejad and Chytil have eased some of those concerns over the last 6-8 months. But I also think as the roster takes shape, it becomes easier to really get a grasp on emerging needs and priorities.

The Rangers could probably use more of everything other than RHDs and goalies at the moment. But if you were to rank them, I don't think center is at the top of the list anymore. At least not to the extent it arguably is on our board.
Don't need LHD, at all either... unless you can get someone who profiles a true difference maker. They're more than set with guys who project as "comfortably top 4" and below.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
With the way we’re set up now we could really have used a talented winger like JP too. Fast could move to the 4th line. He’s iffy for tonight and that messes things up.

Friggen kravtsov idiot that he is 6 weeks in the A and he’d have been back here no doubt in my mind

Kravtsov probably would have been eaten up alive in the NHL this year. I am perfectly fine with bringing him late in the year or even next year when he is more developed physically.

Reactions: NYRangers16 and jas

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't think that was why it was considered too high. The report said that Edmonton also wanted a first rounder. The deal on the table was Andersson + 1st round pick for Puljujarvi. I believe the rangers only wanted to do a straight up deal.
Holland is aiming high but I'd literally laugh him off the phone if I was running the Rangers

Imagine asking for essentially two 1st round picks for a kid that

A) has no desire to play for your team ever again AND
B) comes with major red flags and just as likely to bust as he is to work out
I'd be pointing to what Yakupov got and say we'll give you a little bit more than that, but not much else

Reactions: NYRangers16

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Chicago can’t even ice a full squad tonight because of cap considerations. Maybe there’s an opportunity here.

I'm not seeing a match there. Looking at their players with significant cap hits, I can't see any who we would want long term, and I can't see any who would work as cap dumps, as most of them have another year or more on their contract.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We aren't even close to the half way point yet and they can't call up anyone?

I don't think it's necessarily a cap space issue, but a roster size issue.

They have 23 players on the team at the moment, including 3 goalies. Unless they put a player on IR, they can't call up anyone

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm not seeing a match there. Looking at their players with significant cap hits, I can't see any who we would want long term, and I can't see any who would work as cap dumps, as most of them have another year or more on their contract.
you're right, but they don't have a lot coming off next season and Dylan Strome is a pending RFA. Maybe a deal could be had there.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Don't need LHD, at all either... unless you can get someone who profiles a true difference maker. They're more than set with guys who project as "comfortably top 4" and below.

Personally, I'd argue that they need need some higher-end skill on that left side, or someone who sets the table and let's other players slide in behind them.

I think we have a good plethora of support players, but I'd like a little more of a cross-section there.

I think we have safer, simpler guys on the left side. And more longer-term guys who have more unique skill sets. But I'd like some options that kind of split the difference a little.

Right now, on the right side, we're debating who stays and goes among Trouba, ADA, Fox, Lundkvist and even Keane. We can arguably take one guy out of the equation and be relatively okay.

On the left side, if we take Miller off the table, it changes the dynamic substantially.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Jesus. I'd put a hole in the wall if we'd done that.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What report said this?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Personally, I'd argue that they need need some higher-end skill on that left side, or someone who sets the table and let's other players slide in behind them.

I think we have a good plethora of support players, but I'd like a little more of a cross-section there.

I think we have safer, simpler guys on the left side. And more longer-term guys who have more unique skill sets. But I'd like some options that kind of split the difference a little.

Right now, on the right side, we're debating who stays and goes among Trouba, ADA, Fox, Lundkvist and even Keane. We can arguably take one guy out of the equation and be relatively okay.

On the left side, if we take Miller off the table, it changes the dynamic substantially.
I still think Rykov could be a NHL player. Robertson and Miller as top4 candidates. Skjei and Lindgren seem solid for now. Jones might even make a push. I think our defense is 'set', for lack of a better word, moving forward. That's not to say we couldn't use a top2 defender.

I think we really need a good LHS. That's why the team has been looking at Poolparty. He's just not worth that cost.

Besides that, some good energy bottom6'ers would be nice. Similar to Lemieux.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
MAYBE it was so bad, he forgot

I feel like revisiting the damn mechanic joke I made a few weeks back.

But instead, I just really want to move on. I love this board, but I am so tired of addressing this damn situation. And I know I can't help myself on this topic.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Rangers have the highest scoring defense in the league. Why screw with that right now? Lundkvist could get traded for an impact player at another position. Anyone note the Brewers-Padres baseball trade last week? Two excellent young players traded because the puzzles didn’t fit right? Rangers could find a similar partner (Anaheim?)

It may be the highest scoring defense but it's also bottom five in defending.

We need better balance.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I still dont understand why that Chytil line was broken up.

Panarin Zibs Strome/Kakko
Kreider Chytil Buch
Lemmy Howden Strome/Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad