Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe it’s just me but maybe with the current roster in ECF we should focus on that instead of dumpster-ing our players
Focusing on the ECF means having to watch Kakko play hockey, which leads back to dumpstering him.

Reactions: effen

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Is Wheeler better than Roslovic? I’m not sure he is, or that swapping him in now is worth the risk of changing chemistry in the lineup.

Not sure where else he would play. Unless you sit Kakko. Is that the most likely spot for Wheeler?

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is Wheeler better than Roslovic? I’m not sure he is, or that swapping him in now is worth the risk of changing chemistry in the lineup
If this team could skate, I would have very little patience for Roslovic, but they can't so he's probably needed.

He's not really bad, he's just annoying.

Reactions: Kendo

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is Wheeler better than Roslovic? I’m not sure he is, or that swapping him in now is worth the risk of changing chemistry in the lineup.

Not sure where else he would play. Unless you sit Kakko. Is that the most likely spot for Wheeler?
Would think about the Vesey spot. Don’t care about the PK’ing; he has been terrible for months

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

I feel like if you don't play Roslovic on the 1st line (his play has been awful IMO) you don't play him anywhere. He doesn't fit in the lineup anywhere else.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I feel like if you don't play Roslovic on the 1st line (his play has been awful IMO) you don't play him anywhere. He doesn't fit in the lineup anywhere else.
Awful?that's certainly a take.Without him last game,we don't come back to beat the Canes.He and Mika had some great plays on Kreiders goals.The hate this guy gets is unreal

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Awful?that's certainly a take.Without him last game,we don't come back to beat the Canes.He and Mika had some great plays on Kreiders goals.The hate this guy gets is unreal
I mean he can skate fast in a straight line but he can’t do anything else. But that’s kind of what they need him to do. Him and Wennberg kind of both one trick ponies. I hope neither are brought back but glad they are filling roles at the moment I guess

Reactions: Go Rangers

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The most likely guy to come out if they put both Chytil and Wheeler in is Cuylle. He and Kakko are the only two forwards who have no special teams role. Cuylle is the one who has been demoted to L4 with Chytil back and last time that happened he got 6 minutes. He's not used in late game situations to defend leads. Kakko is also better. Cuylle's play has been fine but he has also provided no offense. He has 3 points in the last 3 months.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Roslovic may be pretty one dimensional, but his one dimension (carrying the puck through the neutral zone with speed and thus being able to break a trap) is infinitely more valuable to this team than someone like Frank Vatrano whose only dimension was shooting the puck.

One is a player this roster’s lacked for years, the other a player Rangers fans have way fonder memories of than I do and were willing to give up a 1st (!) round pick for.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hard to really brand Roslovic as awful.

He was huge in game 1, one of our best skaters in game 2 and then in the middle of 2 of the 3 Kreider goals in game 6 vs Carolina.

Is he flawed? Yeah 100%.

Has he made a positive impact on this run so far? Also yes. Way more positive than bad.
He's another Frank Vatrano.

80% of the time I'm like "what the f*** is this thing?"

But he creates goals.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
He's another Frank Vatrano.

80% of the time I'm like "what the f*** is this thing?"

But he creates goals.
I agree with the general comparison but Roslovic has been much better. Vatrano wired one top cheddar every 5th game and that was it. But he seemed like a great guy and buzzed around the ice like crazy so everyone loved him.

Reactions: Machinehead

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Roslovic may be pretty one dimensional, but his one dimension (carrying the puck through the neutral zone with speed and thus being able to break a trap) is infinitely more valuable to this team than someone like Frank Vatrano whose only dimension was shooting the puck.

One is a player this roster’s lacked for years, the other a player Rangers fans have way fonder memories of than I do and were willing to give up a 1st (!) round pick for.
Sure but that’s a dimension chytil also provides.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I agree with the general comparison but Roslovic has been much better. Vatrano wired one top cheddar every 5th game and that was it. But he seemed like a great guy and buzzed around the ice like crazy so everyone loved him.

The Panthers are more likely to bring out the "bad" side of Roslovic, the bad turnovers etc. as I don't think he'll have the same time and space in this series. But that remains to be seen of course.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d prefer to have as much of that dimension on the roster as possible knowing the team’s struggles with it in the past, but that’s just me.
Yeah, this is not a team that's in a position to say "we have enough scoring" or "we have enough puck movement."

The more, the better.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
The most likely guy to come out if they put both Chytil and Wheeler in is Cuylle. He and Kakko are the only two forwards who have no special teams role. Cuylle is the one who has been demoted to L4 with Chytil back and last time that happened he got 6 minutes. He's not used in late game situations to defend leads. Kakko is also better. Cuylle's play has been fine but he has also provided no offense. He has 3 points in the last 3 months.
on paper sure, but assuming Chytil stays healthy, Cuylle is on the 4th line. He might be a better 4th liner than Wheeler who surely isn't as eager to bang bodies right now

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I feel like a lot of his points are just incidental touches as opposed to driving the play. The first goal, he totally gets negated by the defender so his contribution to the play was distracting the checker and creating an opening for Zib, through ineptitude. While the play is happening, he is not skating to get back into the play. He skates HARDER to join the celebration. Kreider's 2nd was a PPG so no contribution. The 3rd goal, he retrieves the puck in the corner, drops it off to Lindgren and just watches the play. He had that bonehead icing the announcers were ripping him about. He constantly kills plays with really terrible dumps with no route for retrieval. Passes into players under heavy pressure. Generally does not make it easy for Zib or Kreider. He is a quintessential "can't play away from the puck" type of skater. So when I say he can't play anywhere but the 1st line, I mean he needs to be carried. He'll be an absolute liability on the 3rd or 4th line.

Yes, he can skate with speed. He does show flashes of great stick handling. Like he'd be good running set plays from breakouts, but this is the playoffs and he needs to contribute in other areas.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Cuylle brings so many good tools, but I'm a HUGE fan of having enough talent in the top 9 that he's forced to be a 4 line fixture. He can play that role VERY well. His offense is a little limited, but when he produces, it's SUCH a spark.

He just needs to work on being a PK guy next training camp. All too often, guys "don't do it because they haven't done it." Kredier only started PKing a few years ago, and now he's a staple.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I feel like a lot of his points are just incidental touches as opposed to driving the play. The first goal, he totally gets negated by the defender so his contribution to the play was distracting the checker and creating an opening for Zib, through ineptitude. While the play is happening, he is not skating to get back into the play. He skates HARDER to join the celebration. Kreider's 2nd was a PPG so no contribution. The 3rd goal, he retrieves the puck in the corner, drops it off to Lindgren and just watches the play. He had that bonehead icing the announcers were ripping him about. He constantly kills plays with really terrible dumps with no route for retrieval. Passes into players under heavy pressure. Generally does not make it easy for Zib or Kreider. He is a quintessential "can't play away from the puck" type of skater. So when I say he can't play anywhere but the 1st line, I mean he needs to be carried. He'll be an absolute liability on the 3rd or 4th line.

Yes, he can skate with speed. He does show flashes of great stick handling. Like he'd be good running set plays from breakouts, but this is the playoffs and he needs to contribute in other areas.

You do know that he kicked that puck backwards so that Zibanejad could get to It on the first Kreider goal right?

He is limited, but every team is running a limited guy in their top 6. The things he does well are things we need and while I wish we had a better player in his spot, he’s done well considering what he is.

Reactions: bhamill

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Cuylle brings so many good tools, but I'm a HUGE fan of having enough talent in the top 9 that he's forced to be a 4 line fixture. He can play that role VERY well. His offense is a little limited, but when he produces, it's SUCH a spark.

He just needs to work on being a PK guy next training camp. All too often, guys "don't do it because they haven't done it." Kredier only started PKing a few years ago, and now he's a staple.

I don't see any reason he (or most players) can't do it but they certainly aren't about to put someone who hasn't ever done it there for the playoffs. So logically, if Chytil is already in and they want to put Wheeler also in at some point the likely scenario is that they take out the guy who has no special teams role and isn't a defensive minded player. His minutes are easier to replace than Vesey or someone elses. I'm not expecting Cuylle to really get more than 7-8 minutes in G1. Last game Chytil played, Cuylled got 6:21 on the 4th line.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
I disagree. Vatrano would be an absolute stud in that spot for this post season.

Reactions: n8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad