Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXV - French disconnect in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
With the emergence of Miller, not much.

Miller and Lindgren are your top 4 guys. Smith is the placeholder for the 3rd pair until Robertson or Jones wrestle the spot away and earn it in a year or two. As mentioned last night by a couple of folks, I don't at all mind keeping Smith around for another year at a low cap hit as insulation for the kids. A left side of Lindgren, Miller, and Robertson/Jones is still very green despite their ability. Trouba is your vet and although Fox is young, he plays like a 10 year veteran. He's just so good.

We're in good hands on the defensive end. DeAngelo is your trade chip to acquire a middle 6 center. It certainly wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Calgary rumors resurface with Lindholm and Monahan as the targets in the off-season. Calgary will look to shake things up of they miss this year or get bounced early in thr playoffs even if they make it.

I would trade for a center and still go after Barkov next summer. Even if Zib gets it going, I still like Barkov long term over him. Deal Zib in a Gaborik like deal for good, NHL depth pieces, sign Barkov for nothing but money in 2022 and go to war with another window opening.

Your 2022 Opening Night Lineup

Laf-Lindholm/Monahan-American Buch
Panarin-Barkov-Kakko
Kreider-Howden/Trade-Kravtsov
Berard-Barron-Trade

Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Robertson-Lundkvist

Shesty

Drool.
Maybe Cullye makes it?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hang on, hang on.

Even if Calgary went for ADA for Lindholm (ADA+ for Monahan, who yall would hate, is probably more realistic)

If you trade then a king's ransom for Barkov, which is what it would take, and let Zibanejad walk, how are you recouping that value? Even trading Zibby with one year remaining won't nearly fetch you what you gave up for Barkov.

If you wait for both to be UFA, and hope that you can win Barkov, that doesn't bode well to tell Zibanejad "Just wait until we see if we can get the guy we want more first, then you're our #2 option if we can't"

That's what we did with Marian Hossa and Jaromir Jagr, and Jags just left. We got stuck with option #3 in Naslund.

Barkov is also going to get 7x10 on the open market. Zibanejad could probably be had for 6x9 dpending on how he plays the next 18 months

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hang on, hang on.

Even if Calgary went for ADA for Lindholm (ADA+ for Monahan, who yall would hate, is probably more realistic)

If you trade then a king's ransom for Barkov, which is what it would take, and let Zibanejad walk, how are you recouping that value? Even trading Zibby with one year remaining won't nearly fetch you what you gave up for Barkov.

If you wait for both to be UFA, and hope that you can win Barkov, that doesn't bode well to tell Zibanejad "Just wait until we see if we can get the guy we want more first, then you're our #2 option if we can't"

That's what we did with Marian Hossa and Jaromir Jagr, and Jags just left. We got stuck with option #3 in Naslund.

Barkov is also going to get 7x10 on the open market. Zibanejad could probably be had for 6x9 dpending on how he plays the next 18 months
Honestly you would need to roll the dice that you could find a Zibanejad for Brassard deal again. Where you would need to find a contender, preferably with cap space that wants to hit fast forward and go all in. There is not a lot of candidates for this out there though. Ironically ti might be able to do Zibanejad for Danault if you think you can get Barkov and sign Danault at a decent price. Danault is just an example but he probably gets at least 3m AAV less than Zibanejad does. But I think you need a replacement 1C In House before you can move Mika. Rangers might have to cut space too. Have some creative ideas for that as well (cough Panarin to LA cough cough) but this is all unlikely and speculative.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So , one thing we can say for certain is that Martin has really fixed our defensive play, right ? We were giving up 40 shots a game nightly last year, now we’re consistently outshooting our opponents and holding them to below 30. Idk if that is whats causing our offense to dry up or just a coincidence. But it’s noticeable. I think if we can get our PP going well be in decent shape.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
So , one thing we can say for certain is that Martin has really fixed our defensive play, right ? We were giving up 40 shots a game nightly last year, now we’re consistently outshooting our opponents and holding them to below 30. Idk if that is whats causing our offense to dry up or just a coincidence. But it’s noticeable. I think if we can get our PP going well be in decent shape.
Martin fixed the defense somewhat but also got Jack Johnson signed. That's gotta be about a wash. (until Gorton is able to flip JJ for a 3rd at the TDL :laugh::naughty:)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Our PK being 70% is the only defensive red flag so far. And thats a small enough sample to be chalked up to random error, though I would bet we will be in the bottom third of PK teams again this season.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It looks way better—like actual light years—but its such a small sample size...

2020-21
NYR

2019-20
NYR

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

When JJ doesn't play, we replaced Skjei and Staal with Miller and Smith, both are pretty massive upgrades. JM has certainly made a difference, but we shouldn't lose sight of this as it's probably the more impactful reason why they've improved to being slightly above league average in most categories (so far.)

The offense is underperforming on its own due to a mixture of bad luck and certain guys sucking, but it's not too far off the mark from last year. They're averaging 1.5 fewer high danger changes for per 60 than they did last season. It's early and we've had half of our top six be completely useless so far (#20, #16, #93.) Even with this, they sit at 13th in the league (they were 7th last year) so once those guys get going to some extent, they'll start generating more. Right now its been a more volume/less quality thing. A slight uptick in quality is something I'd expect as long as those 3 don't suck the entire season, and one of them is already starting to play himself out of his funk.

OTOH, they're allowing 3.5 fewer high danger attempts against than last year. Thats pretty significantly less quality to go along with less volume. That has 100000% gone in the direction that we want it to go in. Theres still work to do to get even better here, but it's about as good as we could have hoped it to be.

Even if all of the above holds to be true for the entire season, all they really need is for the goaltending to stabilize and for the PP to stop sucking to really comfortably slide into a playoff spot. We may not have the 1 or 2 dummies to beat up on in this division (I assume NJ will play that role once regression gets a hold of them) but really, we don't have that super powerhouse team either.

Reactions: Kupo and kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
When JJ doesn't play, we replaced Skjei and Staal with Miller and Smith, both are pretty massive upgrades. JM has certainly made a difference, but we shouldn't lose sight of this as it's probably the more impactful reason why they've improved to being slightly above league average in most categories (so far.)

The offense is underperforming on its own due to a mixture of bad luck and certain guys sucking, but it's not too far off the mark from last year. They're averaging 1.5 fewer high danger changes for per 60 than they did last season. It's early and we've had half of our top six be completely useless so far (#20, #16, #93.) Even with this, they sit at 13th in the league (they were 7th last year) so once those guys get going to some extent, they'll start generating more. Right now its been a more volume/less quality thing. A slight uptick in quality is something I'd expect as long as those 3 don't suck the entire season, and one of them is already starting to play himself out of his funk.

OTOH, they're allowing 3.5 fewer high danger attempts against than last year. Thats pretty significantly less quality to go along with less volume. That has 100000% gone in the direction that we want it to go in. Theres still work to do to get even better here, but it's about as good as we could have hoped it to be.

Even if all of the above holds to be true for the entire season, all they really need is for the goaltending to stabilize and for the PP to stop sucking to really comfortably slide into a playoff spot. We may not have the 1 or 2 dummies to beat up on in this division (I assume NJ will play that role once regression gets a hold of them) but really, we don't have that super powerhouse team either.

If one were to step back from hysteria then it’s clear that not much needs to change (or a change will not be unexpected): better goaltending is a priority number one, after that we only need Zibanejad and Kreider to start going and Quinn to figure out the 2RW spot, then everything else will fall into place.

Reactions: TheBPA

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So call me crazy, but I think we get Zib signed at 8.5Mish. I think he ends up staying for a long time. Chytil is looking more like a 2C solution. Still plenty up in the air there, but looking a lot more viable.

Our wings are stacked. Between Bread, Laf, Kreider on the left and American Buch, Kakko, Kravstov on the right, I don’t even waste a thought on wings.

On defense, as others have mentioned Miller showing what he has and Lindgren being what he’s been gives us a clearer picture on the left. Robertson, etc. can step in but it may, and probably does, behoove us to add a vet #4 quality guy on the left at some point. Trouba, Fox, ADA for now, Lundkvist/Schneider going forward on the right.

Center depth is important. Chytil may be the 2C we need. I’d look for a middle six C in exchange for DeAngelo and, even if it weren’t a “win” on paper, take it and run. At the draft, TDL or off-season. It doesn’t have to be a Monahan/Lindholm at this point. Just someone who can flip-flop with Chytil between 2/3 depending on development, chemistry or who is hot.

Reactions: Kendo

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So call me crazy, but I think we get Zib signed at 8.5Mish. I think he ends up staying for a long time. Chytil is looking more like a 2C solution. Still plenty up in the air there, but looking a lot more viable.

Our wings are stacked. Between Bread, Laf, Kreider on the left and American Buch, Kakko, Kravstov on the right, I don’t even waste a thought on wings.

On defense, as others have mentioned Miller showing what he has and Lindgren being what he’s been gives us a clearer picture on the left. Robertson, etc. can step in but it may, and probably does, behoove us to add a vet #4 quality guy on the left at some point. Trouba, Fox, ADA for now, Lundkvist/Schneider going forward on the right.

Center depth is important. Chytil may be the 2C we need. I’d look for a middle six C in exchange for DeAngelo and, even if it weren’t a “win” on paper, take it and run. At the draft, TDL or off-season. It doesn’t have to be a Monahan/Lindholm at this point. Just someone who can flip-flop with Chytil between 2/3 depending on development, chemistry or who is hot.

And/or who is injured.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I mean...let’s assume Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Shesterkin all pan out.

That’s a lot of f***ing money. :laugh:

Not to mention spending $26M on three forwards who have already peaked...I don’t know man.

Reactions: McSauer

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'll just agree to disagree with the hot takes on Guathier, specifically this year. The games he has played in, he has been winning 1 on 1 battles, creating chances with his size and speed and creating separation with his speed. He has looked eerily similar to a young Kreider.

Also when comparing him to Blackwell, Colin is 27, Julien is 23. That's 4 additional years of development.
In the 3 games he played with his limited ice time, there was still one time each game that out of nowhere he streaked down the ice and created a chance and hit the post. That’s him being inches from already having 3 goals.

I feel lik Gauthier maybe hasn’t been too impressive yet but he really strikes me as a guy who just needs to get his reps and is on the verge of finding a groove. He just needs to play. If you can get a guy like him to play the fundamentals like Blackwell - with his skill he could be an elite bottom 6 winger. I’d hate to give him up without even trying and I’m afraid that’s gonna happen just bc of him being squeezed out in a numbers game.

He strikes me as the type who will leave here for nothing and then become a 5 time 25 goal scorer and effective middle 6 winger somewhere else.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
With the emergence of Miller, not much.

Miller and Lindgren are your top 4 guys. Smith is the placeholder for the 3rd pair until Robertson or Jones wrestle the spot away and earn it in a year or two. As mentioned last night by a couple of folks, I don't at all mind keeping Smith around for another year at a low cap hit as insulation for the kids. A left side of Lindgren, Miller, and Robertson/Jones is still very green despite their ability. Trouba is your vet and although Fox is young, he plays like a 10 year veteran. He's just so good.

We're in good hands on the defensive end. DeAngelo is your trade chip to acquire a middle 6 center. It certainly wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Calgary rumors resurface with Lindholm and Monahan as the targets in the off-season. Calgary will look to shake things up of they miss this year or get bounced early in thr playoffs even if they make it.

I would trade for a center and still go after Barkov next summer. Even if Zib gets it going, I still like Barkov long term over him. Deal Zib in a Gaborik like deal for good, NHL depth pieces, sign Barkov for nothing but money in 2022 and go to war with another window opening.

Your 2022 Opening Night Lineup

Laf-Lindholm/Monahan-American Buch
Panarin-Barkov-Kakko
Kreider-Howden/Trade-Kravtsov
Berard-Barron-Trade

Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Robertson-Lundkvist

Shesty

Drool.
Plus how cheap that defense is overall for a few years. Who knows if Lundqvist ever plays with us. Schneider could be ready next camp. All the scouts say he isn’t far off. Where’s Chytil?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
A long-term extension for Zibanejad is the ultimate brain says no, heart says yes decisions.

The key is to identify the long-term C option to grow with this core. Chytil is one piece, but they still need more options to go with him for the next 5-7 years.
Really tough decision on Zib. When he is on his game he is Elite. But the combination of his age and injury history creates the pause.

Ideally, you move on from Zib and replace him with a much younger and locked up Eichel if the opportunity presents itself.

And then after that you either hope Chytil can be a 2C or you have to find one. Is that Barkov? Is it a tier below Barkov?

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad