Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXV - French disconnect in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
In the 3 games he played with his limited ice time, there was still one time each game that out of nowhere he streaked down the ice and created a chance and hit the post. That’s him being inches from already having 3 goals.

I feel lik Gauthier maybe hasn’t been too impressive yet but he really strikes me as a guy who just needs to get his reps and is on the verge of finding a groove. He just needs to play. If you can get a guy like him to play the fundamentals like Blackwell - with his skill he could be an elite bottom 6 winger. I’d hate to give him up without even trying and I’m afraid that’s gonna happen just bc of him being squeezed out in a numbers game.

He strikes me as the type who will leave here for nothing and then become a 5 time 25 goal scorer and effective middle 6 winger somewhere else.

Shades of Knuble. :madfire:

Reactions: Avery16

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I still think this PP setup could be MUCH better. There needs to be more options and threats.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A long-term extension for Zibanejad is the ultimate brain says no, heart says yes decisions.

The key is to identify the long-term C option to grow with this core. Chytil is one piece, but they still need more options to go with him for the next 5-7 years.

Flat cap could be a blessing if Zibanejad’s extension is the path. Could be virtually no competition to create bidding war, and thus, allowing the Rangers to get a friendly deal. How much under $10m could be a possibility?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They want a first and we are stacked on LD..maybe before the coronation of Kandre.... but now not needed

The need is much lower with the way Miller has played. But Dunn is really good. So if he’s available at a discount you should be interested...

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
So call me crazy, but I think we get Zib signed at 8.5Mish. I think he ends up staying for a long time. Chytil is looking more like a 2C solution. Still plenty up in the air there, but looking a lot more viable.

Our wings are stacked. Between Bread, Laf, Kreider on the left and American Buch, Kakko, Kravstov on the right, I don’t even waste a thought on wings.

On defense, as others have mentioned Miller showing what he has and Lindgren being what he’s been gives us a clearer picture on the left. Robertson, etc. can step in but it may, and probably does, behoove us to add a vet #4 quality guy on the left at some point. Trouba, Fox, ADA for now, Lundkvist/Schneider going forward on the right.

Center depth is important. Chytil may be the 2C we need. I’d look for a middle six C in exchange for DeAngelo and, even if it weren’t a “win” on paper, take it and run. At the draft, TDL or off-season. It doesn’t have to be a Monahan/Lindholm at this point. Just someone who can flip-flop with Chytil between 2/3 depending on development, chemistry or who is hot.

I'm still skiddish about Chytil on faceoffs. If he stays a sub 40% guy, then he's really more of a "wing that can fill in on C in a pinch,"...but we already have 5 top 6 wings plus a struggling Gauthier and a Kravtsov on the way. If Chytil can't take that next step forward as a CENTER (granted, he has taken very promising steps forward as a forward), then he is our best trade chip up front. I prefer he learns to hover around or surpass 45% since it would balance our entire forward group, but I'm just not convinced yet.

We could really use a 2-year LD to give Robbie (and to a lesser extent, Jones) time to incubate if Hajek, Reunanen, Rykov can't step into the 3LD role. Dunn looks like a nice option, but he will garner more than a 2-year deal in the offseason.

Really tough decision on Zib. When he is on his game he is Elite. But the combination of his age and injury history creates the pause.

Ideally, you move on from Zib and replace him with a much younger and locked up Eichel if the opportunity presents itself.

And then after that you either hope Chytil can be a 2C or you have to find one. Is that Barkov? Is it a tier below Barkov?

Zibs is a conundrum, for the reasons you stated. We could be in the running for Barkov, but hanging hopes on a UFA isn't the best bet.

RNH and Danault are good sub-Barkov options, imo (depending on contract demands, obviously).

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't consider a 1st to be a discount, especially where our 1st could end up being.

I wouldn’t trade a first either. And we don’t need him. I’m just saying I’d call and see what it might take that is acceptable to us

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I wouldn’t trade a first either. And we don’t need him. I’m just saying I’d call and see what it might take that is acceptable to us

I'd consider Lundkvist instead of the 1st. I don't know if they'd like that, and some folks would probably think that's too much. Since I could see both sides of the argument, it's probably close.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'd consider Lundkvist instead of the 1st. I don't know if they'd like that, and some folks would probably think that's too much. Since I could see both sides of the argument, it's probably close.
Lundkvist is doing well and has all three years of his ELC to go. Acquiring Dunn means moving or losing another top-4 D within the year at diminished value. Besides all that, it seems that Dunn's ceiling is second-pair offensive defenseman, and reportedly has attitude/commitment issues.

Why would we trade for him at all? He does not make us better.

Reactions: RickChartraw

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hadn’t thought about this before but with some seasons being heavily truncated and some almost nonexistent, the data on potential 2021 draft prospects is gonna be a lot more scarce than we are used to. This was brought up in a main board thread and makes a lot of sense

I’d bet there’s a much larger curve in the draft, more early busts and more late booms.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Where are we fitting the $5.5 million cap hit we're taking on for another winger?
I mean if you think Buchnevich is going to come in over that number could be some long term savings there. He is also a RW which they can fit That’s a bargain contract. Maybe DeAngelo wants to go home. Figure the contracts and the math out

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hadn’t thought about this before but with some seasons being heavily truncated and some almost nonexistent, the data on potential 2021 draft prospects is gonna be a lot more scarce than we are used to. This was brought up in a main board thread and makes a lot of sense

I’d bet there’s a much larger curve in the draft, more early busts and more late booms.

You saw a lot of EU prospects climb late in the draft last October and IMO that was due to the EU leagues already starting prior to the draft. It affected rankings and it's interesting to see how that discrepancy affects 2021.

OHL hasn't even been announced yet
WHL has approval for late February but only in the province of Alberta
QMJHL at least has had a relatively normal season
NCAA sees games cancelled last minute all the time

It's weird

Reactions: 100Eyes and Kendo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad