Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Amazing the conversation on this Board around ADA. People either love him or hate him. Honestly the hype over him especially pre contract was over the top. He had not shown much until last year and even that was not consistent. People love his offensive talents but he is mediocre at best defensively. Best part now is people saying his behavior is hurting his trade value, some of the people who love this guy. Unfortunately this behavior was there in the past and will show up at times in the future. If he was traded as part of a deal that brought in a good center I for one would be happy. BTW most stars in this league don't have this type of mentality and lack of maturity.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tony's off-ice issues are a problem but they aren't why he got benched. He made a selfish decision and is facing the consequences of his actions. This "people are out to cancel him" stuff is asinine.

ok he got benched for the entire third period, for taking a bad penalty in a 4-0 game. then was told to go practice with the ahlers, then benched for a game. No one gets that much of a punishment for a door slam. There’s CLEARLY more to it than that

how many awful penalties did Ryan Strome sit for?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I’m torn. I can see obvious ways they could clash but there’s also aspects of Tony that make me feel like he’d love Torts and Torts would love him.
That has so much right in it ....they likely would bond . Can we make the deal bigger and get one of their Left side D back as a bonus ? I'm a big Tony fan....but I think the writing is on the wall . I know Marchand was able to get himself under control...was hoping Tony eventually could as well.

Reactions: LokiDog

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That has so much right in it ....they likely would bond . Can we make the deal bigger and get one of their Left side D back as a bonus ? I'm a big Tony fan....but I think the writing is on the wall . I know Marchand was able to get himself under control...was hoping Tony eventually could as well.

Marchand was licking people as of 2 years ago. He just scores 100 points a season, so he has a longer leash.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Jack Hughes looks like Jack Hughes now

I really really hope Kakko takes a next step here

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
ok he got benched for the entire third period, for taking a bad penalty in a 4-0 game. then was told to go practice with the ahlers, then benched for a game. No one gets that much of a punishment for a door slam. There’s CLEARLY more to it than that

how many awful penalties did Ryan Strome sit for?

Maybe he mouthed off about it to the coaches. Maybe he refused to admit he made a mistake. Maybe it's something else. None of that is trying to "cancel" him.

People bitched and moaned about Quinn keeping Tony on a short leash in his first year here. Was told repeatedly that Quinn was ruining him then he broke out last year while being spoon fed top PP minutes all while still being a major defensive liability. Some players need shorter leashes than others.

Tony needs to grow up and get his temper under control. The Rangers just gave him nearly $10m to play professional ice hockey. He's not being persecuted or canceled. He's just a loud mouth who can't get out of his own way.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Tony's off-ice issues are a problem but they aren't why he got benched. He made a selfish decision and is facing the consequences of his actions. This "people are out to cancel him" stuff is asinine.
This is why it's hard to swallow. Quinn came away from that game with this being the priority to address. "Tony has gone to time out for tantrums before, so he will get more time outs if he slams his door." I acknowledge Quinn's right to bench Tony for it, but he doesn't do it evenly. Plenty of people are repeat offenders with their bad habits. They keep offending because they always get a pass, unless you are Lemeuix.

I will take an inappropriate reaction to frustration over complacency. Quinn uses the word battle so often, and that team was flat. Lazy penalties. He should have seen some semblance of passion as a sign that at least someone realized the season started.

The problem with Quinn is there a disconnect between his lessons and his execution. He says one thing and keys in on something else. In other words, you can preach battle within the bounds of discipline. But if the team lacks both, try to fix the battle first.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

I agree that’s the reason he’s benched. I just don’t agree with the decision. The game was out of reach. He showed frustration. At least he had a pulse.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
This is why it's hard to swallow. Quinn came away from that game with this being the priority to address. "Tony has gone to time out for tantrums before, so he will get more time outs if he slams his door." I acknowledge Quinn's right to bench Tony for it, but he doesn't do it evenly. Plenty of people are repeat offenders with their bad habits. They keep offending because they always get a pass, unless you are Lemeuix.

I will take an inappropriate reaction to frustration over complacency. Quinn uses the word battle so often, and that team was flat. Lazy penalties. He should have seen some semblance of passion as a sign that at least someone realized the season started.

The problem with Quinn is there a disconnect between his lessons and his execution. He says one thing and keys in on something else. In other words, you can preach battle within the bounds of discipline. But if the team lacks both, try to fix the battle first.

I'm not going to pretend I agree with Quinn all the time or agree with all of his roster decisions after game 1, but when everyone is terrible you only have so many options for accountability. And again, Tony is the one guy who played horribly and threw a tantrum that hurt his team. The nail that sticks out gets hammered. It says a lot when you're able to be the worst guy amongst a sea of horrible effort.

If there's one thing I don't question with Quinn, it's his ability to get the most out of DeAngelo. Like I said in my other post, DeAngelo is the one guy who has taken major steps forward under Quinn. So he clearly knows what buttons to press, even if the fans think he's being unfair or holding a double standard.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree that’s the reason he’s benched. I just don’t agree with the decision. The game was out of reach. He showed frustration. At least he had a pulse.

But this is the kind of thing that needs to be addressed early. You can't have guys flying off the handle every time they're down 3 or 4 goals because it's pretty apparent that this team is going to be in that position an awful lot this season.

Reactions: kovazub94

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
But this is the kind of thing that needs to be addressed early. You can't have guys flying off the handle every time they're down 3 or 4 goals because it's pretty apparent that this team is going to be in that position an awful lot this season.

That’s fair, but I really thought it seemed to have more context in the moment. Of course, my read on it isn’t the decisive truth, but I thought it was more to do with the culmination of the situation and the effort level from the team/some weak whistles from the refs in a game we were already out of. If this was a carry over issue from last year where he was getting this call in a game in February, and not specifically the season opener, I’d be much more apt to completely agree with your assessment. In this case (I don’t think he was the worst guy on the ice last night) I don’t think benching one of your biggest weapons after getting shutout helps the team to bounce back tonight, the morale in the room, or is necessarily the appropriate response to one player at least showing emotion in a very embarrassing opening effort. As you said, there may have been other mitigating circumstances, ie mouthing off to the coaches after, or something like that. Obviously, not being able to know the full picture, this isolated event isn’t a reason to crucify Quinn, but in the broader scope, he is wearing thin. He also could take some accountability on himself for his entire squad looking unprepared and continuing the trend of too many men penalties and mental errors.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Why is slamming the penalty box door and mouthing off to the refs considered “passion” instead of “tantrum”? There’s a difference....

Did ADA play with passion during the game....nah. Nor did most of his teammates. Yet some want to justify the little tantrum...”it was passssssion”....or “we were down 4-0, so who cares?”......

Those who have children know...this needs to get nipped early, or the behavior doesn’t get better.

“but, but, but other guys don’t get punished like he does”.... maybe because other guys don’t have his track record, but the “whataboutism” is no justification.

Complain about Quinn all you want (some is definitely deserved), but the legendary coaches (Bowman, Arbour, etc) would do the same thing here.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
All for PLD, but still want them to add a vet forward for this year.

Moving forward they need to address the Left side of their D, whether thats Miller or some other kid or a proven player

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
All for PLD, but still want them to add a vet forward for this year.

Moving forward they need to address the Left side of their D, whether thats Miller or some other kid or a proven player

Unrealistic, but I’d actually like to see Kakko moved for PLD, Chytil shifted to Kakko’s spot on the wing (he has Kreider clone written all over him, I think center isn’t where his future is) and include Jenner in the deal from Columbus to fill our 3C spot with a chippy veteran leader who wins draws and PKs. Jenner is playing wing now in Columbus with Koivu taking 3C.

Reactions: leetch99

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Eh, let’s give Kakko a few more games before we panic.

When the entire team lays an egg like in game 1, it is not smart to use it as a basis for evaluation. Kakko did show flashes in the bubble, he has the potential.

Reactions: egelband and Kupo

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That’s fair, but I really thought it seemed to have more context in the moment. Of course, my read on it isn’t the decisive truth, but I thought it was more to do with the culmination of the situation and the effort level from the team/some weak whistles from the refs in a game we were already out of. If this was a carry over issue from last year where he was getting this call in a game in February, and not specifically the season opener, I’d be much more apt to completely agree with your assessment. In this case (I don’t think he was the worst guy on the ice last night) I don’t think benching one of your biggest weapons after getting shutout helps the team to bounce back tonight, the morale in the room, or is necessarily the appropriate response to one player at least showing emotion in a very embarrassing opening effort. As you said, there may have been other mitigating circumstances, ie mouthing off to the coaches after, or something like that. Obviously, not being able to know the full picture, this isolated event isn’t a reason to crucify Quinn, but in the broader scope, he is wearing thin. He also could take some accountability on himself for his entire squad looking unprepared and continuing the trend of too many men penalties and mental errors.

I think that's a reasonable stance to take. I think it comes down to the nature of the player as well as the moment in question. Quinn keeps Tony on a shorter leash than the rest of the team and that's because of Tony. I think he knows that if he gives him too much rope things could go south in a hurry.

Like I said elsewhere, I don't agree with all of Quinn's decisions when it comes to the roster after game 1. However, Tony has turned into an elite offensive d-man under Quinn so I can't really fault the guy for doing what he does. In fact, if anything I would say Quinn's style seems to be far more suited to Tony than some of the other kids in the lineup who seem to get a short leash but aren't responding very well to it.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Unrealistic, but I’d actually like to see Kakko moved for PLD, Chytil shifted to Kakko’s spot on the wing (he has Kreider clone written all over him, I think center isn’t where his future is) and include Jenner in the deal from Columbus to fill our 3C spot with a chippy veteran leader who wins draws and PKs. Jenner is playing wing now in Columbus with Koivu taking 3C.
I am not moving Kakko. No shot.

I do like Jenner, but I dont know how they make the salaries work

Reactions: jay from jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad