Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
the only scenario it would make sense IMO is if there is absolutely zero interest around the league and we can't even trade him for a 7th round pick so then you make a trade for a 2C before tuesday and let him walk...but what are the chances that he has zero trade value? i'd say none.

Could be a timing thing. Say the teams acquiring him want to see what else shakes loose in free agency and the Rangers are working on a deal that would eat up Strome's cap space. They give him the QO and the trade market fizzles out. Trade goes through and Strome gets an arbitration award they can't walk away from and are now in cap trouble.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Feels like management dislikes Strome about as much as most of us do. They see thru the points
I dont think they dislike Strome... but they sure as hell dont like him at $5M caphit...

If they're eyeing a guy like Lindholm with a similar cap hit, it seems like poor value.

We're nearly at the cap limit with bonuses... Is Ryan Strome worth dead cap space next year?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

upload_2020-10-4_18-4-11.jpeg

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I dont think they dislike Strome... but they sure as hell dont like him at $5M caphit...

If they're eyeing a guy like Lindholm with a similar cap hit, it seems like poor value.

We're nearly at the cap limit with bonuses... Is Ryan Strome worth dead cap space next year?

If they don’t want to give a 70 pt center that has chemistry with panarin 5 million it’s because they don’t like his game. That’s a bargain. He’s just an awful player in every other aspect

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Giving him a QO retains his rights. You don’t have to offer him anything beyond his QO, and he doesn’t have to sign his QO. In that case he just sits out until either he accepts his QO or you trade him. He doesn’t count against the cap for his QO because he hasn’t signed it. There’s no reason to allow him to become a UFA and not retain his rights. Strome is a 27 year old who just had 59 points in 70 games. There may be doubts about his ability to produce at a 60 point pace consistently and or his overall game, but - especially if the Rangers retain his rights and he has no choice but to accept his QO or sit - there’s almost no way someone wouldn’t roll the dice on a one year 4.5M deal for Strome at the cost of a 3rd or 4th pick, WORST case scenario.

The QO counts against the cap during the offseason, which is 81.5 mil + 10%. That's not an issue though, as we won't get close to that. If he doesn't end up signing a contract, then yes, it doesn't count during the season. The problem is that he is arbitration eligible, and will almost certainly elect arbitration. That means he will be awarded a 1 year contract by an arbitrator if we can't work something out. If the award is high enough, we can walk away, but if not, we're stuck with it. So if we QO him and we can't trade him, then he'll very likely end up on the cap.

Reactions: LokiDog

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If they don’t want to give a 70 pt center that has chemistry with panarin 5 million it’s because they don’t like his game. That’s a bargain. He’s just an awful player in every other aspect
theres a difference between being a 70pts center and scoring on a 70pts pace playing with Panarin

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I thought they would move Palat but if they can find a taker for Johnson with 4years/20M still owed, that'd help them a lot.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Just remember this...

Last summer we hoped to get Fox, thought we might get Trouba or Panarin (not both) and hope to win the Lottery. Gorton pulled off an inside straight and get all four.

I don’t think he is going to be satisfied with going through the summer and Signing Eric Haula.

I think there was probably less than 8% chance that all four of those events occurred.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
theres a difference between being a 70pts center and scoring on a 70pts pace playing with Panarin

what are you arguing exactly? That they like him they just don’t want him? I don’t get it. If they liked him 5 mil is not a crazy number for him. They don’t

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
And what if no one wants him?

I believe the likelihood that nobody would trade even a 7th round pick for him at ~4.5M to be essentially zero (and that is before considering we could retain 50% on the deal to up the return). I am perfectly willing to take that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad