Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What does Buffalo have that the Rangers would want? Are they leading with Dahlin or Eichel? If not, I don’t see enough.

Can't see them moving Dahlin. At least with Eichel there's smoke that he's unhappy. Just don't see how the Rangers absorb that contract without other moves or expanding the deal.

The Pegulas have lost a ton of money on the Sabres. They could point the finger at Eichel not being a winner and wanting a reset.

Last edited:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I'd offer the Canes pick but they'll probably want a prospect. Seems like a place Hajek could get thrown in to the deal.
I would be OK with the 22nd and no reservations about Hajek being in there. Wonder how much it would cost to re-sign him. No arbitration rights

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I'll give it a 90 percent chance. I think Buffalo is lurking, but it's more than just offering talent. There's salaries and other things to consider. I really think anything other than the Rangers coming away with Lafreniere is a long shot.

I'm firmly in the camp of just taking Laf, but I wonder what the Sabres could offer. Eichel? Dahlin, Cozens and a boat load of other assets?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm firmly in the camp of just taking Laf, but I wonder what the Sabres could offer. Eichel? Dahlin? Cozens and a boat load of other assets?

Eichel would be problematic because of his contract. The Rangers would automatically have to start moving bodies as a result.

Dahlin would be interesting, but I can't see that happening.

I could see Cozens, Johnson, picks 8 and 38 being on the table, but it would take at least one more prime asset for the Rangers to at least humor it. And at that point you're getting into Lindros/EA Sports trade territory.

Reactions: RGY

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Dahlin is like one of the 3 pieces that would make me heavily consider moving Laf

I just don’t see why Buffalo would do that but it’s nice to fantasize about Dahlin in a Rangers Jersey lol

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would be OK with the 22nd and no reservations about Hajek being in there. Wonder how much it would cost to re-sign him. No arbitration rights

Hard to say with a flat cap and teams tightening purse strings. Normally I think a bridge between $2.5-3m per would be about right. Could be considerably cheaper in this climate.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Eichel would be problematic because of his contract. The Rangers would automatically have to start moving bodies as a result.

Dahlin would be interesting, but I can't see that happening.

I could see Cozens, Johnson, picks 8 and 38 being on the table, but it would take at least one more prime asset for the Rangers to at least humor it. And at that point you're getting into Lindros/EA Sports trade territory.
That seems like a bunch of quantity for quality. Unless Eichel or Dahlin are involved, I would not consider touching it without many, many 1st round picks coming our way.

If we stay at 1 though, Laf is the pick, 100, right? Can that paranoia I have at least be put to rest my friend? :P

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That seems like a bunch of quantity for quality. Unless Eichel or Dahlin are involved, I would not consider touching it without many, many 1st round picks coming our way.

If we stay at 1 though, Laf is the pick, 100, right? Can that paranoia I have at least be put to rest my friend? :P

he is going to have to charge you by the hour to work thru those issues and your disconnect from common sense and reality that leads to such paranoia lol

Reactions: RangerSeth

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
he is going to have to charge you by the hour to work thru those issues and your disconnect from common sense and reality that leads to such paranoia lol
Lmao! It's a common theme I have sadly with my sports team. Paranoia to where we are in such excellent position that we somehow miss the layup.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What do we think the cost would be to acquire Dunn?

i'm guessing that we'd be looking at a deal similar to trouba last year where we spend months getting hyped up for potential guys to pick with our 2nd 1st or to trade up for if they drop, only to have that pick traded

i'm torn on the idea. it would be a really good trade but at the same time there are a bunch of potential guys at that pick that i'm starting to get my hopes up about and not having a 2nd round pick doesn't help my desire to hold onto that pick.

Reactions: jas

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Do you guys need to ditch Brendan Smith? If so, Ottawa might be interested. Would you guys be willing to give up a pick to get rid of him?

Smith and a 2021 2nd/3rd for Andreas Englund?

Reactions: RGY

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Well any deal for Laf would either be quantity of good but not matching quality, or matching quality with a corresponding contract.

Cozens is a top six forward prospect who the Rangers liked last year and has continued to be very successful. He's a former 7th overall pick.

Johnson was a defenseman the Rangers liked, and had considered for the pick they sent back to Winnipeg. He was also taken in the first round last year.

In theory at 8th overall, you're looking at someone from the Rangers top 10, including names like Holtz, Sanderson, Lundell, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti and Raymond.

And then at 38th, you're looking at some interesting names again.

So you could be looking at something like Cozens, Johnson, Holtz, Bordeleau +.

Again, I don't think either side does it. But who that's the only thing I can think of that would at least be the starting of something worth listening to from Buffalo that doesn't involve Eichel or Dahlin.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Do you guys need to ditch Brendan Smith? If so, Ottawa might be interested. Would you guys be willing to give up a pick to get rid of him?

Smith and a 2021 2nd/3rd for Andreas Englund?
Rangers do not need to get rid of Smith, no way they attach a 2nd/3rd to move him.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Well any deal for Laf would either be quantity of good but not matching quality, or matching quality with a corresponding contract.

Cozens is a top six forward prospect who the Rangers liked last year and has continued to be very successful. He's a former 7th overall pick.

Johnson was a defenseman the Rangers liked, and had considered for the pick they sent back to Winnipeg. He was also taken in the first round last year.

In theory at 8th overall, you're looking at someone from the Rangers top 10, including names like Holtz, Sanderson, Lundell, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti and Raymond.

And then at 38th, you're looking at some interesting names again.

So you could be looking at something like Cozens, Johnson, Holtz, Bordeleau +.

Again, I don't think either side does it. But who that's the only thing I can think of that would at least be the starting of something worth listening to from Buffalo that doesn't involve Eichel or Dahlin.
Some of those are good pieces, but again, when you're talking about a talent like Laf, you really need to get something elite back, and outside Eichel/Dahlin they really lack that elite piece that would make a deal worth it and that you can sell to the fan-base. I just can't see the Rangers doing it or being able to sell a deal without a clear, elite piece coming back. Also, thank you once again for all the replies, truly I appreciate it.

Also, I noticed you skipped over my paranoia question about sticking at 1 and not taking Laf, so now I will go to bed soon spiraling into madness. Got any of that wine over the weekend for me? Lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad