Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t have a problem with BPA but that’s not my point and you still have the same problem.

You mentioned that the Rangers have the biggest organizational weakness at center and suggested addressing it via draft. I was addressing this.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I continue to be a skeptic that there’s such a thing as BPA by the time you get to the 20s in the draft order.

I’m sure there’s a ranking. Not saying that the gap is always the same size but gap nonetheless.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Most teams have some holes---even winning ones.

Speaking of Chytil--his career arc so far is almost identical to Zibanejad's. It's too early to give up on him and say he's not capable. If we can get more out of him that will help the center issue a lot.

If we're also looking at the teams playing now they are 4 lines and 3 pairs deep--they have good backup goaltending. The only team that has gone exclusively with one goalie is Tampa. We need better depth players and if we move Georgiev we'll probably need another goaltender.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Detroit has no majorly big contracts moving forward while also having some bad short term contracts and Trouba is a hometown kid. What the hell am I missing?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Between Panarin, Kakko, and Lafreniere the Rangers are looking at 3 wingers who are all capable of 85+ points. If Zibanejad can stay healthy that's 4 guys who have that kind of offensive ability. At that point you really don't need your other top-9 centers to be drivers you just need them to be able to enhance what you have and fill in the weaknesses. I think Strome and Chytil are capable of being those players.

You could make the argument that the forward group is lacking a bit on the defensive side of things. None of Zib, Strome, or Chytil are what you'd call defensive stalwarts and Howden is very much a work in progress. I think Kreider and Lafreniere add a needed power element to the group but another gritty forward in the top-9 wouldn't hurt.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Between Panarin, Kakko, and Lafreniere the Rangers are looking at 3 wingers who are all capable of 85+ points. If Zibanejad can stay healthy that's 4 guys who have that kind of offensive ability. At that point you really don't need your other top-9 centers to be drivers you just need them to be able to enhance what you have and fill in the weaknesses. I think Strome and Chytil are capable of being those players.

You could make the argument that the forward group is lacking a bit on the defensive side of things. None of Zib, Strome, or Chytil are what you'd call defensive stalwarts and Howden is very much a work in progress. I think Kreider and Lafreniere add a needed power element to the group but another gritty forward in the top-9 wouldn't hurt.

Zib is closer to a defensive stalwart than not.

Reactions: Leetch3

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
For the sake of the Trouba/NMC argument again, here is the MOU section on No Trade/No Move Clauses

3sILGpj.png

So, going by that last point, since Trouba has a NMC that would become effective in the 2020-21 season b/c he would become Group 3 eligible in that season, it looks like his NMC won't take effect until the opening of Free Agency, which is the later of October 9th or SCF+7 days.

But yes, whether it's active or not, the Rangers aren't trading Trouba.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I continue to be a skeptic that there’s such a thing as BPA by the time you get to the 20s in the draft order.

BPA doesn't mean a consensus best player across the league. every team could have a different list based on whatever criteria they consider important. the rangers will have their list. if they pick at #24, then they go into the draft with THEIR list of the top 24 guys and then you draft the highest ranked guy on that list that is still on the board.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
For the sake of the Trouba/NMC argument again, here is the MOU section on No Trade/No Move Clauses

3sILGpj.png

So, going by that last point, since Trouba has a NMC that would become effective in the 2020-21 season b/c he would become Group 3 eligible in that season, it looks like his NMC won't take effect until the opening of Free Agency, which is the later of October 9th or SCF+7 days.

I think. Need another set of eyes to make sure I am reading correctly.

But yes, whether it's active or not, the Rangers aren't trading Trouba.

The Rangers aren't trading Stepan.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
The rangers are significantly more weak at LD than they are at center.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If I look at the big picture, the Rangers have enough talent on left wing and right defense to be a very serious contender. On right wing and left defense they have continuing issues but also a lot young talent here and coming that still needs to prove out. Goaltending is in great hands.

So what I see is a gap at center ice. Mika is terrific but beyond that we have questions. Could the Rangers with the Stanley Cup with Strome and Chytil as their long term answers at second and third line center? That’s a stretch.

So where that leaves me is that young talent at center ice is the priority for acquisition. That could be a #22-23-24 draft pick or a trade that possibly includes that draft pick. I don’t know where that player comes from but if I approach this off season as a continuation of “the build” that’s where my attention is focused. Everything else the Rangers do around the edges is nice and can be very helpful but if the objective is to be a consistent championship contender, there’s one very big upgrade to the talent pool that still needs to be made.

don't disagree with any of your points but one thing that the last few years should have shown us is how quickly 'organizational needs' can change...

a few years ago the top RD prospect in the system was Zborovsky, it was by far our biggest weakness and need...now it is our biggest strength. A couple years ago we were talking about which center would need to move to wing cause we had mika, chytil, anderson and howden down the middle and it was a huge strength. now things haven't worked as we hoped and its our biggest weakness...

all I can say is that if we see it JD & JG are aware that it needs to improve...but everything isn't going to be fixed overnight. the organization is light years ahead of where it was 3 years ago. the puzzle isn't complete yet but have confidence and patience...

Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad