Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think most would be fine with Smith back cheap as a 7th D.

Of course there is a distinct possibility that Smith might get more than the minimum on the open market.

It’s definitely a distinct possibility regardless of what this board thinks.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I personally rate Barkov hugger than Eichel, am I alone in that? Better 2-way player, more of a leader, lefty (would be useful on the PP), amazing defensively, only 25 years old. Way better career high than Eichel.

I'd rather sign him as a UFA or trade for him than trade for Eichel.

I feel the same. I think Barkov is overall the better player, but even if Eichel was slightly ahead of Barkov, I'd still want Barkov because his contract situation just fits better with our window.

Barkov UFA in 2022 at age 26 coming off 6m AAV
Eichel UFA in 2026 at age 30 coming off 10m AAV

I feel a lot more comfortable signing/extending Barkov for 7 years next year and have him until 2029, than having to commit to a 30-year old Eichel midway through our (how I envision it) cup window

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The only problem with Barkov is that it’s increasingly unlikely that he’d be available. Florida is killing it this year, and he’s been an absolute monster driving his own line with guys like Duclair and Verhaege

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The only problem with Barkov is that it’s increasingly unlikely that he’d be available. Florida is killing it this year, and he’s been an absolute monster driving his own line with guys like Duclair and Verhaege

It all depends on whether or not Barkov is willing to sign a new deal in Florida.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
It all depends on whether or not Barkov is willing to sign a new deal in Florida.
Dude does it all, makes everyone around him better no matter where he will be. Florida doesn't appear lined up to be "elite" or teetering on any cusp of needing just one more piece or whatever; they are just a good team and you never know. It all comes down to how much he loves living the free state of Florida with all the NY refugees taking over the town. Hopefully he owes someone money down there or something and needs to get out,.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Strome is raising his trade value, and doing it without Panarin. A trade not likely until the offseason, but still, showing he doesn't need Panarin to produce.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Strome is raising his trade value, and doing it without Panarin. A trade not likely until the offseason, but still, showing he doesn't need Panarin to produce.
Yup, despite all of the shit Strome gets on here, he’s really not that bad. Honestly if Chytil continues to grow I would plant him as the 2C and explore Mika trades in the off season and either get a good young c in that trade and/or trade assets for a c and slide Strome down to 3C. You can’t ask much more from the guy. He was a steal of a trade, he plays center, he can kill penalties, he’s a decent passer. Strome gets way too much hate on here.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I feel the same. I think Barkov is overall the better player, but even if Eichel was slightly ahead of Barkov, I'd still want Barkov because his contract situation just fits better with our window.

Barkov UFA in 2022 at age 26 coming off 6m AAV
Eichel UFA in 2026 at age 30 coming off 10m AAV

I feel a lot more comfortable signing/extending Barkov for 7 years next year and have him until 2029, than having to commit to a 30-year old Eichel midway through our (how I envision it) cup window

What do you think Barkov will cost? I would have to imagine it will be close to Eichel, no not sure what the difference would be in salary, of course we wouldn't be giving anything up to get him if we sign him.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Not exactly a surprise at this point. They are in a real bad way right now. Im surprised they are going to let Kevyn Adams handle this.

The Pegulas said they believe they were "taken advantage" of or something, that they "trusted" hockey people and they were done with that. They chose Adams as their own guy, he's been on the business side for 10 years under the pegulas. They're more comfortable with Adams than anyone in the league. They'd pass on Drury if we offered him to interview.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think there's going to be a re evaluation period this offseason. Players are going to be offered a lot less. 10-20% less.

It might work to our advantage long-term

Buch 2-3 years @ $4.5M
Chytil 3-4 years @ $2.5-3.0M
Lindgren 4-5 years @ $3M
Shesty 3-4 years @ $4-5M

Especially cause the cap is gonna explode soon after with the new TV deals. The longer you can sign these guys right now, the better.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know I will get flamed for this, but if this team could string some wins together and get in the hunt I would look at Eric Staal at the deadline to get us some center depth and veteran presence there. Someone who can win faceoffs. Slide Strome to the Wing. Chytil bumped up to 2C.

Lafreniere-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Kreider-Staal-Strome
Lemmy-Rooney-Gauthier

Blackwell, PDG, Howden

I would also look into Montour for LD

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I know I will get flamed for this, but if this team could string some wins together and get in the hunt I would look at Eric Staal at the deadline to get us some center depth and veteran presence there. Someone who can win faceoffs. Slide Strome to the Wing. Chytil bumped up to 2C.

Lafreniere-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Kreider-Staal-Strome
Lemmy-Rooney-Gauthier

Blackwell, PDG, Howden

I would also look into Montour for LD
Because Eric Staal worked so well the first time? Save the assets for something else.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad