Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: MOAR sandpaper, guts & glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Just look at Chicago and their kids. Their prospects are doing great, result of having a solid leadership group.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I don’t understand the freakout here on two levels.

Current roster:

Defense.

We have Foxy being amazing. Miller up and doing great. Lindgren doing his shutdown thing. That’s 3/6... the rest can get figured out as far as D.

Forwards.

We have Kakko making strides in his second year. Laf is doing a 2020 Kakko, fine. Next year. We actually built a 4th line. Kreider is being a leader and actually putting in effort.

Goalie: Shesty other than that horrible game is doing great. Georgie is punching out A****.

What do you guys expect or want? There’s no cap space, development takes time, and it will all work out. If you don’t trust Quinn, if you don’t trust JG(ie trade God), then at least trust JD... St. Louis was built extremely well. Ultimately, we have a lot going for us. Trust the process. I’m sounding like Sam Hinkie here. But also appreciate the acceleration of that too. We got lucky. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Current roster:

Defense.

We have Foxy being amazing. Miller up and doing great. Lindgren doing his shutdown thing. That’s 3/6... the rest can get figured out as far as D.

Forwards.

We have Kakko making strides in his second year. Laf is doing a 2020 Kakko, fine. Next year. We actually built a 4th line. Kreider is being a leader and actually putting in effort.

Goalie: Shesty other than that horrible game is doing great. Georgie is punching out A****.

What do you guys expect or want? There’s no cap space, development takes time, and it will all work out. If you don’t trust Quinn, if you don’t trust JG(ie trade God), then at least trust JD... St. Louis was built extremely well. Ultimately, we have a lot going for us. Trust the process. I’m sounding like Sam Hinkie here. But also appreciate the acceleration of that too. We got lucky. Enjoy the ride.

I definitely agree on the state of the roster for the future, i.e. that its looking good, but at the same time,we had two top 2 picks the last two years and a bunch of high picks before that -- it should look good. To get a Cup "good" will not suffice. It needs to be the best of 31 going on 32.

JD's track record scares me. STL had no success when he was there nor during the years after he left. Columbus is the biggest mess in the league, they have rebuilt for decades and now got a team nobody wants to play for and that never wins anything (although they are the organization that claims to be the best in the league in all aspects, nobody sits on a higher horse).

I just want management to be held accountable and act like they are. Nobody will strike 100%, but moves made should be the ones believed to be the best for this organization and the strike rate must be fairly good. This sounds like basic stuff, but the equation from my POV does not include any legit excuses. If a move don't pay off, management can't go "it wasn't our fault that the player didn't have it". Again, nobody will strike 100%, that is not what I am asking for. But this cannot become a theme. All players on the roster are here by active choice of management and management is directly or indirectly responsible for the requirements put on players.

And I have a distinct feeling that we only got more of this coming our way. A story that sounds perfect, but a product on the ice that aren't good. I can only speak for myself, but I don't want that.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This division is really nuts. I mean there's Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington. All perennial contenders. There's Philly right there knocking on the door. The Islanders with their system and discipline. We have the youngest team in the league, and it's not the youngsters disappointing it's the veterans. I don't know how much is coaching and how much is just the reality of the fact that this schedule is a son of a bitch and that's just the way it is. I don't think you blow up anything. I don't think you make drastic moves. I'm not sure Quinn is the right guy going forward because IMO, if we are going to go out and take a beating, get the young guys as much ice time as you can so they can make their mistakes and learn from them. The benchings of young guys for errors must stop, kids make mistakes. Bench vets who should know better. There is accountability but you cannot scare a young roster into being too tentative to play. I would love to see them make the playoffs but who do you see falling apart out of the expected teams coming out of this division? You gotta think long game here, and if they walk out of this shit show of a season with Owen Power or Aatu Raty, I can think of worse things.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
@Ola Yes, accountability is important, but how do we judge that? McDavid was let free for instance. Crosby too. Both played on the first line pretty fast. Quinn is trying to play our rookies on the 3rd line... this happened with Kakko last year... and with Laf this year. You can’t get stats without ice time. Is this the best approach or not? I dunno.

It does suggest a conflict of approaches. We have vets who are here already. We also have (still) one of the best prospect pools in the league.

To me, we are seeing the results of this. No amazing rookie stats, a dependence on vets currently on the roster. Have we ever seen a veteran led rebuild?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
i bet the Rangers really miss Kevin Hayes right now. im also shocked they are not trying to mold Morgan Barron into a center.

so am I. Kid is so smart out there. Does everything well. Sees the ice so well.great face off guy. They must not love his skating still. Which has improved. But they had zero problem running Andersson out there at center every night.

Reactions: JayAB81

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If lafreniere was doing what he should be doing I’d feel a whole lot better about this rebuild. But to see kakko struggle so badly last year and now see lafreniere a far superior prospect do the same thing? There’s something wrong.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If lafreniere was doing what he should be doing I’d feel a whole lot better about this rebuild. But to see kakko struggle so badly last year and now see lafreniere a far superior prospect do the same thing? There’s something wrong.
Right, this is it for me.

I like all the plants, but I'm having anxiety about the soil.

Reactions: Kovalev27 and Kendo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d venture it to be more like: “It’s Tony DeAngelo! Go get em baby! But who’s side is he on? Wait a minute! DeAngelo just scored on Georgiev! He’s the 6th man! A career of a lifetime down the drain, I hope you like it Tony.”
That's...that's Owen Power!!! What the hell is Owen Power doing here??! He wasn't supposed to be here for a year bah God!!

He's got Jack Hughes up!! Owen Powerbomb!!! He's the third man!!

Reactions: savebyrichter420

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
so am I. Kid is so smart out there. Does everything well. Sees the ice so well.great face off guy. They must not love his skating still. Which has improved. But they had zero problem running Andersson out there at center every night.
The strange thing about it is they have him taking draws and then going back to playing wing

like why not just have him play center, what’s the worst thing that can happen? He sucks and you move him back to wing? Big deal

Reactions: Off Sides

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lafreniere has one of the best faceoff percentages in the league. Just throwing it out there. :D

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
@Machinehead Not mine and I’d definitely replace Trouba with someone else but thought you’d get a chuckle out of this :laugh:

Attachments

• B225DF46-A2DE-48F7-829C-DBA46C66ACE9.jpeg
    B225DF46-A2DE-48F7-829C-DBA46C66ACE9.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Machinehead

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018

Current roster:

Defense.

Forwards.

I think it took St Louis (cup) and CBJ (competitive)
Close to 7-10 years to get there. We are on year 3?
Patience.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016

Current roster:

Defense.

Forwards.

How we doing at Center which you don't discuss. WE have one young guy with promise in FC who is hurt. After that nothing but questions including our number 1 guy. Making a case right now not to resign him as well.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
With the players or the system they are in?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This division is really nuts. I mean there's Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington. All perennial contenders. There's Philly right there knocking on the door. The Islanders with their system and discipline. We have the youngest team in the league, and it's not the youngsters disappointing it's the veterans. I don't know how much is coaching and how much is just the reality of the fact that this schedule is a son of a bitch and that's just the way it is. I don't think you blow up anything. I don't think you make drastic moves. I'm not sure Quinn is the right guy going forward because IMO, if we are going to go out and take a beating, get the young guys as much ice time as you can so they can make their mistakes and learn from them. The benchings of young guys for errors must stop, kids make mistakes. Bench vets who should know better. There is accountability but you cannot scare a young roster into being too tentative to play. I would love to see them make the playoffs but who do you see falling apart out of the expected teams coming out of this division? You gotta think long game here, and if they walk out of this shit show of a season with Owen Power or Aatu Raty, I can think of worse things.
And yet they are 0-2 vs. the Devils and made the Sabres goaltender look like prime Dominik Hasek. I’m not convinced that this team, with whatever it is that’s going on, would look much better in one of the other divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad