Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I very very much doubt that Kreider brings back a 1st and a top prospect. Refresh my memory if I’m wrong but didn’t we trade a 1st and Duclair for Yandle who had 1.5 years remaining AND Phoenix retained 50%?
Did Kevin Hayes not get us a 1st and Lemiuex? Is Kreider not the best winger available at the TDL after Taylor Hall? Is Kreider not a beast in the playoffs? Kreider will totally get a 1st and a top prospect. Maybe "top" is the point of contention. I mean like a former 1st or 2nd not from last year's draft who is actually developing well, top in the organization. No way we get like a 1st and a top 10 of all prospects top prospect like Bowen Byram.

Reactions: Procrastinator

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Did Kevin Hayes not get us a 1st and Lemiuex? Is Kreider not the best winger available at the TDL after Taylor Hall? Is Kreider not a beast in the playoffs? Kreider will totally get a 1st and a top prospect. Maybe "top" is the point of contention. I mean like a former 1st or 2nd not from last year's draft who is actually developing well, top in the organization. No way we get like a 1st and a top 10 of all prospects top prospect like Bowen Byram.

There were more components involved in the Yandle trade too.

1. He wasn't a rental
2. Duke was very, very highly regarded, probably more so than Kyrou
3. a 1st and a 2nd were involved
4. A roster player went the other way (Moore.)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yeah, also that Yandle deal included John Moore, who was a very serviceable 3rd pairing guy who was expected to top out as a 2nd pairing guy (which he ultimately did, though not for Arizona).

Plus, as @GoAwayStaal pointed out, a 2nd. That trade was arguably 2x the return of 1st + prospect.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think we need to acquire a couple more 7th round picks
I honestly hope every trade we make at the TDL has a 7th rounder throw in involved on our end. Adam Huska's our latest great hope. We've had a lot of prospects we've been excited for from the 7th that just haven't panned out so it is a total crap shoot. Prucha, Hollweg, Lundqvist were our only real successes in the past 20 years. But would be a catch to land ourselves a Eric Haula, Freddie Anderson, Andreas Johnsson, Ryan Dzingel, Ondrej Palat, Dominik Kubalik, Victor Olofsson, or Ondrej Kase.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
There were more components involved in the Yandle trade too.

1. He wasn't a rental
2. Duke was very, very highly regarded, probably more so than Kyrou
3. a 1st and a 2nd were involved
4. A roster player went the other way (Moore.)

what was the proposal? I missed it. A 1st and Kyrou? I thought I was responding to someone saying we would not get a 1st and "top" prospect or young roster player.

Yeah, also that Yandle deal included John Moore, who was a very serviceable 3rd pairing guy who was expected to top out as a 2nd pairing guy (which he ultimately did, though not for Arizona).

Plus, as @GoAwayStaal pointed out, a 2nd. That trade was arguably 2x the return of 1st + prospect.
more return because he had term. Also, IIRC there wasn't much supply in PMDs back then so we had to pay a premium to get one.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I honestly hope every trade we make at the TDL has a 7th rounder throw in involved on our end. Adam Huska's our latest great hope. We've had a lot of prospects we've been excited for from the 7th that just haven't panned out so it is a total crap shoot. Prucha, Hollweg, Lundqvist were our only real successes in the past 20 years. But would be a catch to land ourselves a Eric Haula, Freddie Anderson, Andreas Johnsson, Ryan Dzingel, Ondrej Palat, Dominik Kubalik, Victor Olofsson, or Ondrej Kase.
Toronto also has 3 7th round picks... obvious trade partner.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
what was the proposal? I missed it. A 1st and Kyrou? I thought I was responding to someone saying we would not get a 1st and "top" prospect or young roster player.

more return because he had term. Also, IIRC there wasn't much supply in PMDs back then so we had to pay a premium to get one.

I was backing you up lol, Kyrou would fit the definition of a "top" prospect.

I didn't like the Yandle comp made by the person you were responding to. The situations were different and there were more components in that deal, which was all I was trying to say.

Sekera was the big rental PMD available the 2015 deadline. IIRC, the Yandle deal kind of came out of nowhere (I remember being blindsided by it) but you're right, there weren't a ton of PMD's available.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I couldn't find an open Gorton thread, so I'm using this one.

The Athletic polled 22 agents on certain topics. Some Gorton or NYR comments:

Screen-Shot-2020-02-03-at-3.34.55-PM-1024x825.png

“Bob Murray or Jeff Gorton (Rangers). Here’s the thing about Gorton, he only goes back when it’s on his terms. But Murray is the worst. He hates agents in general.”

“Jeff Gorton. I like Jeff but it’s more of his style. He’s always just kicking tires and never stepping up to the plate.”

Screen-Shot-2020-02-03-at-3.35.15-PM-1024x762.png

“I have guys who put New York right away because it’s just too big.” Ha. The Islanders don't even register in the NY category.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I saw that article by Custance. Good initiative — but it came out very flat.

1 agent of 22 singled out Gorton as tough to do business with because he wouldn’t engage, another because Gorton only was prepared to do business on his terms.

Seems like a perfectly good Grade for Gorton from my POV.

Winnipeg is held really low by the player. Ottawa is saved by the fact that they are so cheap that players with a big contract don’t have to put them on the limited no trade list lol.

Winnipeg and Chevy has treated the players like crap. Don’t mind seeing them get some crap. Besides that I don’t think Custances piece had any interesting info.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Don't think Panarin and Chytil are going to click well right now. Chytil isn't quite a good enough passer yet. Panarin can make any line score, but I think it will prove that Strome is better with him right now.

But like others have said, we just aren't going very far with Strome playing a big role.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

There are bonafide prospects — players —available that get passed over for whatever reason every year.

From an organizational depth point of view, having a bunch 7th rounders probably does wonders.

I think there is some graph that actually is fairly solid that comes to the conclusion that ten 7th round picks is as valuable as one top 10 pick; that a 7th round pick has about half the value of a 4th round pick and so forth.

They are not without value in other words. Our three 7ths are worth as much as a mid 2nd according to that graph.

I always find it a bit fascinating that there is a bigger drop-off between 1 and 15 than it is between 15 and pick 281. With the number of kids playing the game, and how good the training methods are — should there really be such a big difference between the top guy and the 15th guy?

All research show that the difference in natural talent is smaller than what can imagine. I think this instead shows the importance of being ‘ahead of the curve’ and hence being able to be in a unique position in which you can develop exponentially just because you are ahead and get more room, while being pushed as much as you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think there is some graph that actually is fairly solid that comes to the conclusion that ten 7th round picks is as valuable as one top 10 pick; that a 7th round pick has about half the value of a 4th round pick and so forth.

All research show that the difference in natural talent is smaller than what can imagine. I think this instead shows the importance of being ‘ahead of the curve’ and hence being able to be in a unique position in which you can develop exponentially just because you are ahead and get more room, while being pushed as much as you are.

Interesting math. I think the "ahead of the curve" theory is mostly about being able to standout amongst your current competition. A 17 y.o. scoring at a PPG pace in the CHL stands out. A freshman in the NCAA scoring at a PPG pace stands out. The more you stand out, the more ice time you are likely to get. That accelerates your learning curve. The earlier you standout, the more ahead of the curve you can get. That's the exponential part of it. Late bloomers are still out there. They just take longer to get to the point at which they can start making those exponential improvements in their game to reach their max potential.

Reactions: Ola

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What the future holds is one story. In the present, Strome has been far from what the bigger issues on this team are.

Agreed. There are a thousand examples of good nhl teams who gave had o.k. players playing huge roles.

-cough- Stepan- cough

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Agreed. There are a thousand examples of good nhl teams who gave had o.k. players playing huge roles.

-cough- Stepan- cough

Exactly. The Penguins have won multiple cups trotting out third line caliber players with their super stars.

Having Panarin elevate guys like Strome and Fast to heavy top 6 usage isn’t the problem. The problem is that we don’t have players that bring similar elements as Strome and Fast to fill our bottom 6 out.

Reactions: leetch99 and RGY

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Over/Under for conditionals received in the potential CK trade?

Two seconds that can become firsts if the acquiring team goes to the finals and re-signs Kreider. Both turn into thirds if the Rangers re-sign Kreider. And if the acquiring team wins the Cup they also have to take one of Staal or Smith.

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
So is the Kyrou rumor just from the latest article or can it be substantiated at all? I prefer trading with St. Louis over Colorado but does anyone think Gorton would have a better shot at landing Kostin instead of Kyrou?
I still have to go with Boston as being the favorites for Krieder... getting a return based on something like Heinen, Frederic and a 2020 1st.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier