Proposal: ROR talk - pick which deal you prefer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaystelestrator

Jun 21, 2012
Was engaged in a debate with someone on the main board and I wanted to come here to get everyone's input.

***obviously the Avs trading ROR is a long shot, but...

Which offer from the pens would you be more comfortable giving up:

Despres and Neal for ROR

Or

Maata and Sutter for ROR

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Was engaged in a debate with someone on the main board and I wanted to come here to get everyone's input.

Despres and Neal for ROR

Or

Maata and Sutter for ROR

Wtf at the bolded :amazed:

I dunno why but that made me cringe..

I would take the second deal

Michael8771*

I wouldn't do either of those, I'd prefer Letang be involved. With our limited cap room and Letang's impending cap hit, that's the way I'd go. TBH I think Neal AND Despres is an over payment. And with Maatta we don't know just how good he'll be. I've seen enough of Letang however to know what he can and cannot do. At times he's a world beater, in other instances he's very sporadic in the defensive zone.

Over the last three years Neal is averaging just under a PPG (like .99), there's no way I'd do that deal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Despres and Neal for ROR

Or

Maata and Sutter for ROR

What is Colorado adding for the first deal? Would easily do the 2nd (as long as ROR is willing to sign a long term deal (5+ years at 6-6.5m).

Fire Shero*

Maatta and Despres

But I doubt that is enough. Who will play in Neal's spot?

We supposedly have all of these young great prospects...

Michael8771*

I'm not as high on Maatta as I was prior to march, but do we really want to trade a guy like that who MAY turn out to be a dominant rearguard for the next 15-20 years? I'm not sure that's a sound thing to do. In addition and when you factor in salary, it's certainly not the way to go. ROR is gonna get 6.5 million or thereabouts. Trading both Maatta and Sutter would put us in a deeper hole monetarily AND we'd lose two players to gain one. If you trade Letang you actually may gain cap relief.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am the guy he was debating with. I think Neal and Despres is greater value than Maatta-Sutter by a fair amount. Neal should be worth O'Reilly by himself.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Neither.

The 1st is dumb. Don't ****ing trade our best winger + Dman to get another ****ing winger.

I pick option C: Letang for ROR+

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not as high on Maatta as I was prior to march, but do we really want to trade a guy like that who MAY turn out to be a dominant rearguard for the next 15-20 years? I'm not sure that's a sound thing to do. In addition and when you factor in salary, it's certainly not the way to go. ROR is gonna get 6.5 million or thereabouts. Trading both Maatta and Sutter would put us in a deeper hole monetarily AND we'd lose two players to gain one. If you trade Letang you actually may gain cap relief.

It would be a little tight this year but would be fine after that. I am not on the trade Letang train anymore because I believe a new coach and system can make him a Norris candidate again. Plus with guys like Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington we have young guys that can fill in and take Maatta's role next year.

Fire Shero*

What the hell does our blueline look like with both gone?

What the hell does our top 6 look like without Neal?

Koon Crosby Bennett
??? Malkin ???

I'm not advocating either trade, relax.

This team has absolutely no depth at forward. They have some depth on the blue line. It's easier to find a bottom pairing dman than a top line forward.

Michael8771*

Neither of the OP's proposals garner us cap relief, and again that's a huge variable here that needs to be considered. Neal, Sutter, Despres and Maatta have friendly cap hits. And even if Sutter and Despres get raises they still are in line to be cap friendly. I just don't see such moves as bettering the team both on the ice and regarding cap structure.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
What the hell does our top 6 look like without Neal?

Koon Crosby Bennett
??? Malkin ???

I'm not advocating either trade, relax.

This team has absolutely no depth at forward. They have some depth on the blue line. It's easier to find a bottom pairing dman than a top line forward.

why do you have BB in the top 6 when you keep saying he shouldn't be there?

where is your best bud Kulemin?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Määttä and Sutter if it's for ROR.

Although, I think I'd rather move Kunitz than Sutter, but that's probably not as appealing to Colorado.

Michael8771*

It would be a little tight this year but would be fine after that. I am not on the trade Letang train anymore because I believe a new coach and system can make him a Norris candidate again. Plus with guys like Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington we have young guys that can fill in and take Maatta's role next year.
I don't see Despres and Harrington having the same upside as Maatta. And I doubt Dumoulin would be anything higher than a five or six at the NHL level.

Again, I'm not as sold on Maatta as I was, but Boy when he played well he was damn impressive.

Maatta's cap hit is what under a million, Letang over seven million? There's no comparison. I think Maatta when he played well was as good as Letang and at a fraction of the cost. Maatta is never gonna be that dynamic offensive guy like Letang, but he's good offensively, and better positioned in the defensive end of the ice. All around I trust his game more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire Shero*

Because we thankfully haven't signed him yet.

And I dry vomited even typing Bennett's name on the top line. Gross.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Trading Maatta seems to be the new thing on this board but I highly doubt Rutherford and his staff are considering that. He hit the rookie wall down the stretch but overall his play for a 19 year old rookie was remarkable.

I'm also not interested in the Neal/Despres for ROR deal. We'd not only lose Neal but we'd lose a good PMD prospect and we'd likely lose another 1.5 million of cap space since ROR is probably going to command 6.5 to Neal's 5 million cap number.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
Option A has way more value than Option B, so I would highly prefer the latter. But why would the Avs even do that? They don't need another centre, and don't they want a more established defenseman?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Neither of the OP's proposals garner us cap relief, and again that's a huge variable here that needs to be considered. Neal, Sutter, Despres and Maatta have friendly cap hits. And even if Sutter and Despres get raises they still are in line to be cap friendly. I just don't see such moves as bettering the team both on the ice and regarding cap structure.

Well we would get cap relief from Sutter vs Goc if we kept him around as a 3C.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Option A has way more value than Option B, so I would highly prefer the latter. But why would the Avs even do that? They don't need another centre, and don't they want a more established defenseman?

Most Avs fans on the main board seemed happy with Maatta as a centerpiece. His value, at least on these boards, is pretty high.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Trading Maatta seems to be the new thing on this board but I highly doubt Rutherford and his staff are considering that. He hit the rookie wall down the stretch but overall his play for a 19 year old rookie was remarkable.

I'm also not interested in the Neal/Despres for ROR deal. We'd not only lose Neal but we'd lose a good PMD prospect and we'd likely lose another 1.5 million of cap space since ROR is probably going to command 6.5 to Neal's 5 million cap number.

Yeah I doubt JR moves him either, but given the depth on defense, his trade value, and lack of depth up front, it at least makes sense. The way I look at it, you have a few major trade pieces to bring in a legit winger for Sid:

Sutter + Despres/Dumo + 1st
Sutter + Maatta
Letang
Neal in a move for 2 lesser young wingers with upside

I think the 2nd or 3rd option listed makes the most sense to me. But given our lack of forward prospects in the pipeline, trading this year's first doesn't make a lot of sense.

Michael8771*

Letang makes the most sense to trade for three very important reasons. First off we are flush with capable PMD. So we could withstand a hit to our blue line far more than at wing or our bottom six. He's already enjoyed notoriety and success at the NHL level so he could command quite a bit of return. And of course his bloated salary.

We don't have such options on wing. The cupboard is empty behind Neal and maybe Bennett. And our bottom six is abysmal, so losing Sutter only exacerbates the matter. Letang is the logical piece to move.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Why do we need cap relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad