Confirmed with Link: Root Sports to Broadcast Games (link)

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...en-knights-select-root-sports-as-tv-provider/

There is a press conference to announce this today. It's already been reported here, but I feel this deserves it's own thread. We don't know much about the scale, but here is the key from the article linked here:

Though ROOT is currently not available on Cox Cable or CenturyLink’s Prism system, negotiations are being held with both companies to add ROOT to the menu in time for the start of the NHL season in October. ROOT currently reaches satellite subscribers on DirecTV and Dish Network.

Hopefully, more light will be shed in the presser.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Can someone post the link of the press conference when it happens? Curious to see if it gets included in the Directv sports package and what's going on with Cox and Prism carrying it

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Very excited by this partnership. I have been arguing on Facebook when people are saying this is the worst thing in the world. Relax, it'll be on Cox and CenturyLink.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Can someone post the link of the press conference when it happens? Curious to see if it gets included in the Directv sports package and what's going on with Cox and Prism carrying it

It just happened, I think.

There wasn't a live stream or anything that I found. Sinbin is there and so is the team's social media person.

I'm sure DirecTV will have it since ROOT pretty much is DirecTV and they said that the AT&T Sports people were smart and would figure out the Cox/Centurylink thing.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
It just happened, I think.

There wasn't a live stream or anything that I found. Sinbin is there and so is the team's social media person.

I'm sure DirecTV will have it since ROOT pretty much is DirecTV and they said that the AT&T Sports people were smart and would figure out the Cox/Centurylink thing.

I have Directv and ROOT is on there but not with my package and I have the sports package. I'm sure they will figure it out but wanted to hear the details.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I have Directv and ROOT is on there but not with my package and I have the sports package. I'm sure they will figure it out but wanted to hear the details.

ROOT wouldn't be there now because there's more than one ROOT and you'd likely have to move up in package to get the Pittsburgh, Utah, northwest, or Denver versions of ROOT since they're out of market sports. Since there's now going to be a ROOT Las Vegas I imagine it would knock down to the normal local package. You'd likely lose one or more of the out of market local sports networks (like Prime Ticket or FS San Diego) when it happens, but I'm sure it will be a standard package channel.

I'm not in the conference room when they're discussing this stuff though. We've still got four months for them to figure it all out.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
ROOT wouldn't be there now because there's more than one ROOT and you'd likely have to move up in package to get the Pittsburgh, Utah, northwest, or Denver versions of ROOT since they're out of market sports. Since there's now going to be a ROOT Las Vegas I imagine it would knock down to the normal local package. You'd likely lose one or more of the out of market local sports networks (like Prime Ticket or FS San Diego) when it happens, but I'm sure it will be a standard package channel.

I'm not in the conference room when they're discussing this stuff though. We've still got four months for them to figure it all out.

Directv channel 683 is the rocky mountain ROOT (which is where the VGK will air) and I don't have it with the sports package. Again like you said i'm sure they will figure it out.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Directv channel 683 is the rocky mountain ROOT (which is where the VGK will air) and I don't have it with the sports package. Again like you said i'm sure they will figure it out.

They keep saying ROOT Rocky Mountain, and that might wind up being where they wind up, but I personally think they're saying it because there's nothing else to say yet with regards to a ROOT Sports Las Vegas. As time goes on and they decide if they want to concentrate on UNLV and the Mountain West Conference they'll likely create a ROOT Sports subchannel for Las Vegas centric sports like they did with ROOT Sports Utah.

Up until today ROOT Rocky Mountain showed the Rockies, Jazz, and Big 12 football, there was no reason to have it on anything other than a premium sports package in Las Vegas. Now there's a reason.

Like I said, you'll likely lose a Bay Area or SoCal sports network, but there's almost no reason to not have ROOT Rocky Mountain on the basic tier package. Especially on DirecTV since they're essentially paying themselves carriage fees.

Cox and Centurylink are another question, but I'm sure that's also just a matter of eliminating one of the peripheral RSNs that are currently on their normal local packages.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
They keep saying ROOT Rocky Mountain, and that might wind up being where they wind up, but I personally think they're saying it because there's nothing else to say yet with regards to a ROOT Sports Las Vegas. As time goes on and they decide if they want to concentrate on UNLV and the Mountain West Conference they'll likely create a ROOT Sports subchannel for Las Vegas centric sports like they did with ROOT Sports Utah.

Up until today ROOT Rocky Mountain showed the Rockies, Jazz, and Big 12 football, there was no reason to have it on anything other than a premium sports package in Las Vegas. Now there's a reason.

Like I said, you'll likely lose a Bay Area or SoCal sports network, but there's almost no reason to not have ROOT Rocky Mountain on the basic tier package. Especially on DirecTV since they're essentially paying themselves carriage fees.

Cox and Centurylink are another question, but I'm sure that's also just a matter of eliminating one of the peripheral RSNs that are currently on their normal local packages.

No one is going to lose the FSW/PT channels. We still have to get those because of the market rights for the Clippers/Angels. What will probably happen is the Jazz and Rockies will be blacked out in Southern Nevada. The only thing that could change that would be the MLB and NBA re-assigning their local market maps, which I think is pretty unlikely.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No one is going to lose the FSW/PT channels. We still have to get those because of the market rights for the Clippers/Angels. What will probably happen is the Jazz and Rockies will be blacked out in Southern Nevada. The only thing that could change that would be the MLB and NBA re-assigning their local market maps, which I think is pretty unlikely.

I was guessing people would have to lose something to maintain their current prices. I get the Bay Area networks on my standard stuff and assumed they'd go away. I'll admit I'm not super familiar with the whole territory thing when it comes to the other leagues.

Them blacking out the Jazz and Rockies was something I assumed and part of the reason I couldn't see Root Rocky Mountain being a long term solution in Vegas and the likely cause for a ROOT Vegas subchannel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad